What Shooting Magazines

ANDY T

...if a country of 5-6 million people can have that many shooting/hunting publications (and, OK, I don't know whether they are worth anything in terms of quality), why can't we have something similar in the UK?

best wishes,

Finman

Very much lower population density, loads of great outdoors, lots of hunting & fishing opportunities, outdoor lifestyle/culture.... Those magazines look very promising.

Tony

Mark, I've no idea who this is or what magazine you refer to - or whether you're being deliberately offensive to some people possibly including myself. I hope not. If there's a good Brit shooting magazine I'd be happy to hear about it...

Tony

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

Guys - thanks for the publicity but the new website link is now www.targetshooteronline.com - the old one will take you to the old site but gives directions to the new one.

I never ceased to be amazed when UK shooters have never heard of us - we are read in over 30 countries now! Apparently, the third largest download of the Apple app came from Brazil - after America and the UK.

Vince

Mark, I've no idea who this is or what magazine you refer to - or whether you're being deliberately offensive to some people possibly including myself. I hope not. If there's a good Brit shooting magazine I'd be happy to hear about it...

Tony

Tony i was being unintentionally offensive , very sorry bout that.

The Gun Pimp (Vince) is a member of the editorial staff http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

Thanks Davy. I wouldn't normally look at anything called "Target Shooter" since I'm not interested in target shooting, but I followed your link. Looks quite a respectable, professionally produced title. There seem to be a few things about handloading - but these, like most of the content, are treated in relation to target shooting. So slick & well produced though it undoubtedly is, for me it shares the disadvantages of just about every other native shooting publication in that the great bulk of its content simply doesn't interest me - which makes buying a mag poor value... VH magazine that I mentioned (and others clearly value it too) has lots of reading in it since its content is exactly what it says on the tin. So good luck to Target Shooter but it ain't my cup of tea: I'll continue to rely on foreign magazines. It's clear from UKV that there are those whose interests are distributed between both varminting and target shooting, but my guess is that most people are one way or the other; as I remarked to Finman, there simply aren't enough people whose interests are specifically varminting, handloading, precision rifles, maybe other related outdoor stuff too, to make a decent magazine worth publishing. But I can see Target Shooter serves the needs very well of those who like that sort of thing.

Tony

Thanks Davy. I wouldn't normally look at anything called "Target Shooter" since I'm not interested in target shooting, but I followed your link. Looks quite a respectable, professionally produced title. There seem to be a few things about handloading - but these, like most of the content, are treated in relation to target shooting. So slick & well produced though it undoubtedly is, for me it shares the disadvantages of just about every other native shooting publication in that the great bulk of its content simply doesn't interest me - which makes buying a mag poor value... VH magazine that I mentioned (and others clearly value it too) has lots of reading in it since its content is exactly what it says on the tin. So good luck to Target Shooter but it ain't my cup of tea: I'll continue to rely on foreign magazines. It's clear from UKV that there are those whose interests are distributed between both varminting and target shooting, but my guess is that most people are one way or the other; as I remarked to Finman, there simply aren't enough people whose interests are specifically varminting, handloading, precision rifles, maybe other related outdoor stuff too, to make a decent magazine worth publishing. But I can see Target Shooter serves the needs very well of those who like that sort of thing.

Tony

Ok Tony ill agree with some off that, what exactl would you like to see in your ultimate magazinee if you were producing it?. Hyperthetically this is now!!

Aren't the principles the same? Getting a projectile as accurately as possible on target although the construction of the bullet will be different? Does it really matter that much whether you are hitting fur or paper?

Aren't the principles the same? Getting a projectile as accurately as possible on target although the construction of the bullet will be different? Does it really matter that much whether you are hitting fur or paper?

Totally agree. I like a few others on here are full time/professional vermin dispatchers, gamekeepers, vermin controlers, policemen , army lads and personally ( ithink the others would agree) i like to kill some thing with the most accurate round i can make/produce.

It's not just the mechanics of launching a projectile. My principle rifle-shooting interest has always been varmint hunting since my first centrefire rifle, er, 20-25 years ago. For me, rifles are things one carries over one's shoulder into the field, walking around the fields & woods trying to snipe small pests at as reasonably long a distance as possible - it's what we evolved to do, loping across the plains with a spear in hand... When I read about precision rifles, handloading, new bullets, powders, primers etc, I want the expressed purpose to be varmint hunting, otherwise the relevance is strictly limited. I want to feel something in common with the writer, share his motivation, read about his field experiences; I want to read accounts of varmint hunting outings and trips, since the whole outdoors thing is intimately related to the shooting setup being used. I'm very interested in precision kit, tweaking for best results, and so on, but I'm not a geek: it's got to be about varmint hunting, real-life experience in the field, here and abroad. I like the traditional approach to varmint hunting, so naturally the N.American scene interests me, and I've hunted groundhogs in Ontario twice, going back next year I hope.

I cannot read stuff that's centred on target shooting! Sorry, but i find it terminally yawn-inducing and pointless. Very occasionally, with friends, a session at a range can be good fun, lots of camaraderie, maybe shooting at longer range than one normally does. But my usual range experience is going to the club for a load-development (etc) session. I have no interest in going to Bisley - though I know some here do, and good luck to them - and the very idea of all that traditional bolt-action target stuff with leather slings, special clothing (bit, er, funny that!) and so on, practically makes me slump unconscious with boredom.

So no, actually, it's not all the same just because it's ultimately about getting a bullet on target. And it matters a very great deal whether one is shooting at fur or paper. IMHO, of course...

Tony

ps I should have added, to repeat, no-one is going to publish a shooting magazine in this country that I'll want to buy...

Ok Tony ill agree with some off that, what exactl would you like to see in your ultimate magazinee if you were producing it?. Hyperthetically this is now!!

Mark, see my long-ish post replying to Mike357 - not exactly a list of "wants" but it should answer your question. My "ultimate magazine" ain't gonna happen though! Doesn't matter - I'm pretty happy with The Varmint Hunter, and other US mags occasionally. I'd like to see those NZ mags pictured by Finman: when I'm in France (will be there next month) and Germany, which is pretty regularly, I always look through excellent shooting mags in newsagents and just wish I could read better in those languages - a wide variety of hunting/shooting mags that are much more my kind of thing than similar Brit titles.

Regards, Tony

It's not just the mechanics of launching a projectile. My principle rifle-shooting interest has always been varmint hunting since my first centrefire rifle, er, 20-25 years ago. For me, rifles are things one carries over one's shoulder into the field, walking around the fields & woods trying to snipe small pests at as reasonably long a distance as possible - it's what we evolved to do, loping across the plains with a spear in hand... When I read about precision rifles, handloading, new bullets, powders, primers etc, I want the expressed purpose to be varmint hunting, otherwise the relevance is strictly limited. I want to feel something in common with the writer, share his motivation, read about his field experiences; I want to read accounts of varmint hunting outings and trips, since the whole outdoors thing is intimately related to the shooting setup being used. I'm very interested in precision kit, tweaking for best results, and so on, but I'm not a geek: it's got to be about varmint hunting, real-life experience in the field, here and abroad. I like the traditional approach to varmint hunting, so naturally the N.American scene interests me, and I've hunted groundhogs in Ontario twice, going back next year I hope.

I cannot read stuff that's centred on target shooting! Sorry, but i find it terminally yawn-inducing and pointless. Very occasionally, with friends, a session at a range can be good fun, lots of camaraderie, maybe shooting at longer range than one normally does. But my usual range experience is going to the club for a load-development (etc) session. I have no interest in going to Bisley - though I know some here do, and good luck to them - and the very idea of all that traditional bolt-action target stuff with leather slings, special clothing (bit, er, funny that!) and so on, practically makes me slump unconscious with boredom.

So no, actually, it's not all the same just because it's ultimately about getting a bullet on target. And it matters a very great deal whether one is shooting at fur or paper. IMHO, of course...

Tony

ps I should have added, to repeat, no-one is going to publish a shooting magazine in this country that I'll want to buy...

Airgun world :ph34r:

Personally I'd rather have magazines that are published bi-monthly or even quarterly and have them filled with good interesting articles rather than be "filled out" every month with rubbish and adverts simply because the editor is short of material.

Andy

Sporting Rifle but it's getting a bit "airgun world" with "stories" of some bloke shooting a Jackdaw or a couple of feral pigeons or a rat that has eluded him for months.....why, who cares?

:lol::lol: Very true

I don't buy UK mags at all; I can't bear the lack of any technical writing; rifles always 'shoot well' and that's all there seems to be to it.

I think I'd summarise it as 'I don't think I ever feel like I learn something' from UK shooting mags.

I now don't routinely buy US mags either, but when I do read something like Precision Shooting I often feel edumacated as a result. (My one hiccup to US shooting mags was a subscription to 'Precision Rifle' - that seemed to be full of Glock articles :rolleyes: )

I've actually come to find that I gain more 'knowledge' from the technical discussions between technical people on here and places such as 6mmBr.com -and as such, mags have for me become a bit of a waste of money.

That said, there's nothing like the odd flick through a US niche shooting mag just see what else is going on out there.

I do think the one massive stand-out exception to the UK scene is Vince and Laurie's fine effort. Even though some of their articles walk a fine line between technical interest and OCD :lol::) I always find their endeavours very interesting -and even when not quite in my particular interest niche; there's generally some read-across to my own particular brand of madness.

Once had some of the aussie pig mags sent over....man , they were great. Full of giant, dane cross/pitbull gladiators, and of course, the huge pigs those guys go after. Really enjoyed them.

The British hunting mags leave me utterly cold these days, some of them bordering on "snuff" mags, with utterly disgusting pics in. I saw one one with a roebucks severed head, sat on a shovel, on a car bonnet, and vowed i would never look at that magazine again. There is no wonder WH Smith puts them on the top shelf these days. Pics like that show the sport in a bad light, and are not necessary to real sportsmen/women.

I always think, if you cant leave it on the pile outside the doctors surgery to further the fieldsports cause, then there is something wrong with it.

I gladly leave my copy of shooting times in my local pub on a weekly basis. One in one out.

On rural issues its not too bad. Some of the article's appear to preach to the converted. Hence me leaving them in a tourist hot spot, in the heart of Derbyshire. Articles of shooting folk keeping the rural habitat which is used by all go down very well with most readers. But for me it is too much of the same thing.

Tony,

We started Target Shooter on-line because the old Target Sports mag. closed. We were simply filling a void. We are now read in over 30 countries world-wide.

I take your point about target shooting having no interest for you but, for me and many others, it's the challenge and excitement of competition. I don't pull a trigger unless I'm in competition with someone - that's what we do.

Vince

Tony,

We started Target Shooter on-line because the old Target Sports mag. closed. We were simply filling a void. We are now read in over 30 countries world-wide.

I take your point about target shooting having no interest for you but, for me and many others, it's the challenge and excitement of competition. I don't pull a trigger unless I'm in competition with someone - that's what we do.

Vince

Fair enough, Vince - the main thing is for all branches of the shooting sports to co-exist peacefully and pull together when shooting/gun ownership is threatened. This latter, of course, hasn't happened, indeed different shooting disciplines have proved notoriously ready to stab one another in the back, over the decades....

For me, rifles are bound up inextricably with hunting, the countryside, wide open spaces, pursuing furry creatures - shooting holes in pieces of paper as an end in itself holds no appeal. I work off my competitive urges by playing vigorous, aggressive badminton twice a week! But I'm glad to hear what you say about your publication being read so widely, a tribute to its quality.

Tony

Archived