Bobbo

Hi,

I'm thinking of fitting a sound Mod. to my CZ 550 .308, 24" barrel, 1 in 12 twist.

With the Mod. fitted it will be quite long and I think I may have a problem fitting it in my gun slip or case, also it may be out of balance, I would appreciate any advice as to shortening the barrel.

Thanks in advance,

Bobbo.

There is a lot of talk about chopping the .308 and non of it bad!

unless you are planning on using the rifle for 1000yds then I would recommend it. As soon as I get my act together I will be having my TRG chopped to 20".

Cut mine to 20 inches with no probs, I run 165s through mine. as long as you know your drop you cant go wrong.

Dave

I failed to say that a loss of 6" barrel in my research relates to a loss of only 75fps. Thats 26" down to 20"

DTA's mate who I can't recall his name (sorry bud) ran a 16" barrel at the UKV shoot at WMS and came 3rd on his first outing.

my riflecraft 308 has a 20" barrel and i'm delighted with it , in my opinion for 90% of 308 use a 20-22" tube is fine.

as long as it's inside 1000m my 308 is good to go with a 168 amax at 2650 fps also at more sensible distances it does the business on deer.

chop away !!

I failed to say that a loss of 6" barrel in my research relates to a loss of only 75fps. Thats 26" down to 20"

DTA's mate who I can't recall his name (sorry bud) ran a 16" barrel at the UKV shoot at WMS and came 3rd on his first outing.

Beat me to it.

I was gonna say the guys at WMS were running 16" barrels out to 800yds with no problems. Although I think that has a lot to do with their shooting too.

Rich

Hi the lad is called Gerald, and it was all the rifle nothing to do with him...:-0 no seriously though Gerald could be given a musket and still place.

I think he finished 2nd though.

So long as you are not worried about 1000 yard shooting then cut away.

If you like you are always welcome to have a play with the short barrel on mine, just let me know.

regards

DTA

Already bagged three DTA. rifles for the 6th, unfortunately I'm not shooting one but thanks to Ewen's kind offer of support one is being used by 'oaken' and one by a AR15.com member, the third is provisionally reserved for 'tony' provided he get back to me soon and posts his Entry Form.

What barrel length are the loan rifles running?

Oh and thanks again DTA Europe. :D

• 1 year later...

.308 LMT 16 inches, .308 TRG 18 inches, no loss of accuracy. Suspect some velocity loss but they both kill deer at appropriate ranges and are ok out as far 500 metres for targets but you must know the drops.

Archived