Gents

I have decided to follow the more knowledgeable on this site and use a bore snake to clean my rifles with.

Some advocate the removal of the brass brush in the bore snake and so my questions are:

Do you remove your brush from the bore snake?

and;

If you do remove it how?

I've looked and cant figure it out.

Thanks

OA

A bore snake is a best a handy way to get rid of loose carbon other than that it is a liability in my eyes, make sure you get a real one and not a knock off Chinese copy and be very careful if you are using it on a small calibre rifle.

personally i would not use a bore snake on my exhaust pipe let alone a rifle barrel

can you imagine laying on your bench to pick up what ever crap is on the bench them you run it through your prized rifle barrel only to scratch or worse to the inside of your rifling, no way hosay

use a nice clean nylon brush and thats all you need apart from patches

job done

Gents

I have decided to follow the more knowledgeable on this site and use a bore snake to clean my rifles with.

Some advocate the removal of the brass brush in the bore snake and so my questions are:

Do you remove your brush from the bore snake?

and;

If you do remove it how?

I've looked and cant figure it out.

Thanks

OA

I have heard people draw the 'bristles' out with a pair of pliers.

Personaly I dont use them

Mark

personally i would not use a bore snake on my exhaust pipe let alone a rifle barrel

can you imagine laying on your bench to pick up what ever crap is on the bench them you run it through your prized rifle barrel only to scratch or worse to the inside of your rifling, no way hosay

use a nice clean nylon brush and thats all you need apart from patches

job done

Only a fool would leave one loose on a bench...

I would rather use a bore snake than a nylon brush !

If a snake is used as intended and correctly ...it will not harm any barrel .

Take a look at some of the older service rifles and you can see where the crown has been scored with cleaning with a patch and string which is no different to a boresnake in that respect. A clean nylon brush on a rod with a guide will give far better results than a boresnake and you can guarantee it is not going to snap in the bore.

Take a look at some of the older service rifles and you can see where the crown has been scored with cleaning with a patch and string which is no different to a boresnake in that respect. A clean nylon brush on a rod with a guide will give far better results than a boresnake and you can guarantee it is not going to snap in the bore.

Exactly

Only a fool would leave one loose on a bench...

Yup. 100% agree.

Take a look at some of the older service rifles and you can see where the crown has been scored with cleaning with a patch and string which is no different to a boresnake in that respect.

Davy,

What you're describing was I believe a chargeable offence: 'cord worn' caused by an idle soldier allowing the cord to repeatedly abrade the crown when pulling through.

If you always ensure the boresnake is pulled through with the cord on the axis of the bore there is zero problem.

Spud,

Boresnakes picking up crap?

.......ummm, don't put them on on crap :wacko::lol:

OA,

I don't understand why you want to remove the bristles - what's the perceived problem with them?

Guest Scotland_Rifles

well i use one all the time on my 22 17 and 20 tac and i have just ordered one for my 6mm,

use it at the start and end of each shoot. i put the mod on so that there is no way i can run it over the crown and ad BD says

If you always ensure the bore snake is pulled through with the cord on the axis of the bore there is zero problem

my own opinion i would rather use a bore snake that any wire/nylon brush on my pride and joy.and my bore snakes travel with me in a pouch in the shooting bag at all times, no no crap on a snake = no crap on them to start with.

bob.

That was me told you that. Well sort of.

What I actually said was that I use a boresnake without the brush to remove powder residue before putting a rifle away - in particular, my .223 that I need to have first shot accuracy from in the field.

It was discussed on a thread on here called "first shot accuracy" I think.

I still rigorously clean for carbon and copper on rifles that don't need that first shot consistency and I give the .223 a proper rodding before a range day or comp so I know accuracy is not going to go off for lack of cleaning.

There is nothing wrong with using a boresnake so long as it is clean, has the brush removed and it is pulled out strait. It is however only ever going to remove loose powder residue. 

I hate all brushes, brass bronze nylon or anything else..  Boresnake and wet and dry patches are all my barrels get up 'em

To get the brush out, tease the nylon strands apart and peel back like a banana.

Rup

You are comparing service rifles "cleaned in anger" with a crude pull through to the careful use of a well kept bore snake? I've been using them since the inventor used to sell them at local gunshows. Keep them clean and use the right caliber. No problems. ~Andrew

Apart from these "Service Rifles" has anyone seen damage to a crown by all these dangerous tools.

The only time i have seen physical damage on a rifle muzzle is by dropping the rifle or other such mishap. Not yet seen this wear with cords or the fabled "Bronze Brush" damage.

It just cant happen Bronze brushes with a brass centre are shed loads softer tha any barrel steels.And how many times would the cord need to be drawn carelessly over the muzzle end to wear it.

Apart from these "Service Rifles" has anyone seen damage to a crown by all these dangerous tools.

The only time i have seen physical damage on a rifle muzzle is by dropping the rifle or other such mishap. Not yet seen this wear with cords or the fabled "Bronze Brush" damage.

It just cant happen Bronze brushes with a brass centre are shed loads softer tha any barrel steels.And how many times would the cord need to be drawn carelessly over the muzzle end to wear it.

No I have never seen crown damage that was down to a Boresnake, however I have seen two rifles in one day at a local gunsmiths, both had snapped Boresnakes in them. It is fair to say they could have been cheap Chinese knock-offs but he was not very impressed and said it was doubtful they would come out. If brass brushes are so much softer than a barrel why not use a brush and rod instead? I use nylon brushes, they are kept in a box so they attract no dirt and no doubt I could bung them in the dishwasher if I really wanted.

:rolleyes:

The good news is we are all entitled to an opinion and I just prefer a cleaning rod with a nylon brush and a rod guide to a bore snake. I will admit to using a bore snake type thing in shotguns but years ago and that was only to give it a brush through after a few shots and was no substitute for a proper clean.

I assume people use Boresnakes as a quick wipe through and not a substitute for a proper cleaning?

It just cant happen Bronze brushes with a brass centre are shed loads softer tha any barrel steel.

Take one bronze brush and rub hard on your brand new stainless PacNor barrel, on top and about 6 inches along in front of your scope for maximum effect. :-P

Even water can be used to cut steel, imho just avoid sticking anything up your barrel unless absolutely necessary.

I would say that using a boresnake would be better than using a rod badly.

Rup

Yes you may colour it by rubbing it on my new non existant pac nor barrel but wear it come on, it jusy wont happen!!

Yes i know you can cut steel with water,The pressures required for that type of cutting is quite mind boggling.

i work in the oil and gas industry on the construction side, have done for oh sh!! too long. Metals, the joining, fabricating, erecting and machining of has been my involvement for lots of years.

Real evidence of barrel wear by these fables i just dont believe.

Rup

I can see I'm going to have to buy you a latte [not really taken with sitting in a pub and talking openly with another dude about what we will and will not shove up our pipes :ph34r::lol: ] and bring along my boresnake for you too show me how to get it out.

PM me when your free and we can get it on.....

ATB and thanks lads

OA

• 3 weeks later...

Spotted the dread words on the new Hoppe's boresnake packet:

DSCN1631850x556.jpg

This boresnake is a particularly snug fit and hard to pull through; I noticed the brush area (flexible on my old 308 snake) is rigid on the new one; both points coupled with 'Made in China' has led me to think "that brush is coming out".

-I simply don't trust the sewing of ting-tong's cousin to ensure that black cord and snake don't seperate in the barrel (and by removing the brush, the snake will(I think) be pull-outable backwards).

Had a look last night. This chinese snake has a standard brush inserted in it. Simply pushing the rounded end of the brush through the nylon weave let me pull and roll it out with ease.

The thing went back together so that you can barely see where the brush came out.

DSCN1622850x638.jpg

DSCN1625850x638.jpg

DSCN1629850x638.jpg

Hi all,

Interesting discussion, I have been using Boresnakes and selling them ever since they came on to the market (original RRP £12.50!). I have not experienced or heard of any problems caused by their use. However, I always caution people to use them with care and ensure that they are pulled through in line with the bore. Care must be taken to avoid contact with the ground and they should be kept in sealed bags or boxes. How many people clean their Boresnakes from time to time to avoid contamination?

Having seen the above observations about 'made in China' and current Boresnakes snapping I checked my own and found they were all U.S. manufacture, I would be less confident about using any of far eastern origin, buyer beware.

Alan

Hi all,

Interesting discussion, I have been using Boresnakes and selling them ever since they came on to the market (original RRP £12.50!). I have not experienced or heard of any problems caused by their use. However, I always caution people to use them with care and ensure that they are pulled through in line with the bore. Care must be taken to avoid contact with the ground and they should be kept in sealed bags or boxes. How many people clean their Boresnakes from time to time to avoid contamination?

Having seen the above observations about 'made in China' and current Boresnakes snapping I checked my own and found they were all U.S. manufacture, I would be less confident about using any of far eastern origin, buyer beware.

Alan

Alan,

Do you still have US-made snakes in stock (in 6.5?) (is the brush flexible on them or like this chinese one?)

Alan,

Do you still have US-made snakes in stock (in 6.5?) (is the brush flexible on them or like this chinese one?)

Hi Matt,

Just checked, one left! U.S. manufacture but rigid brush. Part No. 24013 .257 - .264. If you are interested please pm me,

Best regards

Alan

Archived