Anyone using the kestrel 4500nv with horus atrag ballistics,been looking at them recently but cant find any reviews on the net for them. :)

Anyone using the kestrel 4500nv with horus atrag ballistics,been looking at them recently but cant find any reviews on the net for them. :)

£460 ??! :blink::wacko::wacko:

Rather strikes me as a very expensive solution looking for a problem. :)

Chris Balckburn form UK gun works uses one,he says it superb and gets him hits out to 1100 yards,the price puts me off at £460

Chris Balckburn form UK gun works uses one,he says it superb and gets him hits out to 1100 yards,the price puts me off at £460

Ballistic modelling is crap in crap out.

Just about any ballistic solver on the market will give firing solutions as good as it gets - if set up properly.

There's no 'magic bullet' (pardon the pun) to ballistic solvers.

Put crap in this one and, like all others, you'll get crap out.

The marketing line is that frustrated people think they can buy their way out of the inaccuracies they input.

In reality that iphone app, or whatever else they've got, will do the same job. Where any of these go wrong is operator error.

Thinking that spending more will give you better solutions is buying into that marketing hype.

Not pushing my cards here, but my firing solutions will, for 20 quid provide you on a card (no battery to fail, display to break etc and a firing solution in about 4 seconds without having to use 2 hands hold a device & press butttons) more firing info than one of these, and -because i know what I'm doing- will model a traj to better than 0.1mRad to the distance quoted.

I could set up an iphone to do just as well (less for the multiple winds firing solution), or patagonia or -well- any of the programs.

This is the same as everyone running to embrace G7 - it does do way better as a start point than G1 - but it's only a good approximation to 6-700m and then it too wanders away from reality.

There are no magic solutions - just crap in crap out.

Don't believe the hype. :)

Ballistic modelling is crap in crap out.

Just about any ballistic solver on the market will give firing solutions as good as it gets - if set up properly.

There's no 'magic bullet' (pardon the pun) to ballistic solvers.

Put crap in this one and, like all others, you'll get crap out.

The marketing line is that frustrated people think they can buy their way out of the inaccuracies they input.

In reality that iphone app, or whatever else they've got, will do the same job. Where any of these go wrong is operator error.

Thinking that spending more will give you better solutions is buying into that marketing hype.

Not pushing my cards here, but my firing solutions will, for 20 quid provide you on a card (no battery to fail, display to break etc and a firing solution in about 4 seconds without having to use 2 hands hold a device & press butttons) more firing info than one of these, and -because i know what I'm doing- will model a traj to better than 0.1mRad to the distance quoted.

I could set up an iphone to do just as well (less for the multiple winds firing solution), or patagonia or -well- any of the programs.

This is the same as everyone running to embrace G7 - it does do way better as a start point than G1 - but it's only a good approximation to 6-700m and then it too wanders away from reality.

There are no magic solutions - just crap in crap out. Don't believe the hype.

dont worry I dont,Iam too long in the tooth

Possibly the value of these things come if you think of them as components of a larger system hooked up together - eg Vectronics PLRF + Kestrel + Trimble / PLRG 96 / PLRGII / SORD or PC allows you to collect as much real time data as possible and give you a solution with a click of a button.

I wonder if Kestrel Nv 4500 ATRAG allows you to do away with the ballistic computer in this set up, that would then seem worthwhile.

As the data is real time it may help reduce the that which promotes growth and vigour in amount however the biggest turd of not having accurate multiple wind readings still exist, you are only measuring wind at one point, though some systems let you input estimated wind values at various points.

David.

The beauty of Matt,s cards is that he wont make them for you, unless you get off your arse and supply him with very detailed data. It will take you a morning to collate, so make sure you aren,t going to change your scope, ring height or ammo. Once you are happy with all this, send him the bumf.

I guarantee you that you will never use anything else. Its absolutely spot on. Ronin and I used it for our .338,s at Warcop last year, and were getting first round hits from short range , right out to 1000 yards with it. I was astounded how accurate it was.

Learn his method of wind reading too, its simple once you get the hang of it, and that works very well too.

Cant recommend them highly enough, and they dont go flat, or generally #### up like electronics do.

Must second Matts cards are excellent.

I was just trying to think of a use for the Kestrel, other than a stand alone thing otherwise it becomes hard to see the point when Matts cards plus a normal type wind / temp meter do the same or better at a fraction of the cost.

David.

what imput data do you require matt apart from sight height, fps, bullet g7

thanks mark

what imput data do you require matt apart from sight height, fps, bullet g7

thanks mark

It will cost you £20 to find out lol

I was going to get one when I had my 223 but soon sold it but will defiantly get one for my 260&222 as soon ad I sort out final loads and data

Hmmm,just seen this thread and i've been using BD's charts earlier today. In fact I emailed him to thank him earlier -

Hi Matt,

I shot a small comp today at our local range - Thorpe near Ashbourne. Anyway while using your charts at WMS I knew they were accurate as I was hitting the gongs but today I found out how REALLY accurate they are on paper. At 2,3,4,and 500 yards the elevation was absolutely spot on and I mean absolutely. The wind knocked me about a bit, 10 to 15mph gusts but thats just my crap wind reading.......

Thanks again for the charts,

Mike.

I'm no expert but take the time to send the (accurate)data required and you will definately get results.

im using one of matts cards to & it really the dogs bolocks(308win)

i really should be using two of his cards as im now using my 6br for long range work!

I havent tho had time to shoot the data for teh br so im using phone data at the mo for that rifle!

It also takes a fook load longer to input the data!

i really need to shoot some data :blush:

cheers Andy

Kestrel 4500nv horus, the price is very expensive I feel... but thats what everyone says's about our products LOL!!!,

anyway, I also would push towards Matts cards mainly as it's very customised and is one on one customer support. the digital may be good but as he said, crap in crap out. the computer is not going to tell you if you have put in wrong data, I'm sure Matt would quickly contact his client if he suspected there were something unusal going on. your not going to get that service from any digital system and for the same price!

If the price was 50% less I may consider having a look at one.

Lee

In conclusion they are way to exspensive for what they are but will do away with carrying a pda/iphone and windmeter seperatly. Would i personally buy one, not till they drop in price or become available on Ebay.

• 2 months later...

Archived