rpa

1967spud

i here through the grapvine that rpa have ceased trading as off yesterday

Just heard that theyve gone bust. Supposedly another company is wanting to buy them for their 50 cal rifles but dont know how official that is.

Although I was told that from a fairly accurate source.

Big shock as Im planning another RPA custom build.

Garry

Just too many bad business decisions one after another, and the fact that the company was ran by a man who was at best delusional and at worst mad. Shame at they had some good actions. They had been teetering on going out of business for a long while as far I as know. Let's just hope they were not involved in the sort of business deals that Sabre Defence was. Two UK companies going out of business within weeks of one another.

Not to mention downright rude and ignorant George.

Talking down to people and treating them like a shagwit is not the best way to deal with trade suppliers or members of the public....they walk out....i did.

Brings no tears to my eyes.

They screwed over the patent holder for many aspects of their action design (Robert Chombard), never paying him a cent and treating him with total contempt. Got their come-uppence finally

Chris-NZ

Brings no tears to my eyes.

They screwed over the patent holder for many aspects of their action design (Robert Chombard), never paying him a cent and treating him with total contempt. Got their come-uppence finally

Chris-NZ

Good to hear other people know exactly how RPA turned Robert over.

There is no doubt in my mind that RPA make very good rifles the majority of the time, the big problem for me was the attitude of the sales people, I called them when I was seriously considering an RPA and go the impression they were doing me a huge favour even speaking to me, let alone selling me a rifle. (maybe they were!)

Sad that people will loose jobs over this.

I hope someone will take the company over and get it back on it`s feet. The only RPA I bought was during the Mike Cherry era, the rifle took some time but I got a factory visit and they were understanding with my export requirements. I can remember a time when RPA were the only British game in town as Accuracy International would not sell rifles Joe public.

David

One of my pals is convinced this is scuttlebutt. Anyone got any linkable hard-int on this?

Post on another forum earlier today:

This is to let your forum know that the business previously known as RPA International (this sounds a bit like Prince!) has been purchased by an asset sale by Rangemaster Precision Arms Limited (Rangemaster). The business will continue to operate from its S England location.

Some of you have made kind comments about the quality of our products and even, at times, our service. Rangemaster hopes to continue in this tradition and if possible to improve what we do.

It is our intention to honour all warranty claims for kit sold by RPA International.

We will not be at IWA, as due to recent events, it was inappropriate.

Thanks for your support, and sorry for those that hoped we would disappear from the marketplace. We believe that our products represent a good example of what the Brits do well, and we are proud of that tradition.

Rangemaster Precision Arms Limited

• 2 months later...

UPDATE - Posted tonight on another forum.

RangemasterPrecisionArms Limited and Robert Chombart are proud to announce that they have reached agreement to work together to update the existing range of Quadlock actions, and to design a new 3 lug action. Although Rangemaster enjoys continuing support for the existing Quadlock action, they also accept that their existing ranges of actions are in urgent need of review and update. Rangemaster has also listened to the advice of those who have continued to support the company during its recent difficulties, and made the decision to re-enter the Target marketplace. Robert is full of excellent ideas as to how we can enter this market with credible and attractive actions. He is additionally undertaking a comprehensive review of our Frontsights, Rearsights and Trigger designs, as well as the critical issue of our company producing a round action. Rangemaster is also committed to producing actions which fit the Remington 700 footprint.

We would also like to thank Dr Geoffrey Kolbe of Border Barrels for making this exciting new co-operation possible. With the assistance of these two great experts, Rangemaster hopes to regain the confidence of its potential customer base, and give all its competitors a good run for their money.

With the design knowledge and expertise of Robert Chombart and Geoff Kolbe onboard they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Seems as tho' the wheel has, at last turned full circle and GC is back on the bridge

From another forum/ posting that points to the exit of the 'mob' ... was a short walk and a plank involved?

"Thank you to those who made positive comments.

We do not intend to enter into a dialogue with those of a more cynical nature on this issue; and this is the last post that we will make on the events of the past week.

For the record:

1. There are no Directors of Rangemaster who were previously Directors of RPA International.

2. It was not an Administration, so there was no Pre Packing involved. It was a liquidation forced on RPA International by its bankers who were not prepared to give the company any more time to repay its loans.

3. Rangemaster works closely with all the previous suppliers of components to RPA Int. We wish to continue trading with these companies on the best of terms, and it is not in our interest to leave them high and dry financially.

4. Like in all failed businesses, there are many things which could and should have been done better over the past years. This applies to not only the previous managment of RPA International at the time of the liquidation; .....

The demise of R.P.A. was unfortunately inevitable due to being steered by an individual whoes arrogance seemed to be matched only by his indifference. I used to use R.P.A actions for some of our custom builds but became rapidly dissolusioned with the company when delivery times were not met and the margins to dealers became so pitifull it was not economicaly viable to use a british action. This was deeply saddening to me as there was an oppurtunity missed to increase market share in the UK by working with and supporting british riflesmiths and pushing the standard of rifles upward. I met the former head of the company on two occaisions ,both of which left a very bad taste in the mouth.When I asked a simple question regarding the specifications of an action I was snapped at with the retort: YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW THAT!.I took the cheque book that was in my pocket : and my buisness elsewhere The staff at R.P.A must feel a huge sigh of releif that this man is no longer at the helm.

I had a very similar experience with him Mike, at Bisley a couple of years ago at the phoenix. I,d popped into the little shop they had taken for the meeting, introduced myself, and asked a couple of questions on actions and barrels etc. I got a very similar answer in a very rude manner.

Sadly however, i think RPA have missed the boat, and that guy did irreparable damage to the name. Nothing would make me use their actions again now, there are better ones out there.

Archived