What to do ? Fox

Guest tisme

Hi

In the past 6 years I have been having a battle with fox. They eat my chickens, ducks and geese during the day if they can. In the past 12 months me and my neighbour have lost over 70. last yr I got my FAC and now shoot them and have only lost 2 or 3 since. Today while looking at google maps I find that 1/2 a mile away there is a fox rescue centre who release fox back into the wild :angry:

Do I call them and say please don't near my property or go around and explain?

Do I keep quite and just keep shooting? Anyone else been in this situation?

After reading their web site I feel if I go around there I will be wasting my time.

Hi Tisme

If I were you I would remain very quite and say absolutely nothing, and carry on shooting the foxes; the people who run these rescue centers are completely ignorant of the damage foxes do, and they genuinely believe in Disney stories!

Might be worth finding out where they dump most of their foxes, as that would give you further possibilities for shooting some more!

ATB Bob

A friend of mine almost lost his permission as a result of foxes eating the farmer's poultry. My friend seemed to be on top and went out about 3 night per week, but when he thought things were under control the phone would ring again and he would have an angry farmer at the other end, giving him an ear full and indirectly accusing him of not doing his part of the deal, i.e. shoot vermin on the land in exchange for access. My friend started going out more often and staying out longer. One night he spotted a van driving slowly along a country lane adjacent to the farm. The van stopped and out came two figures, who proceeded to open the back of the van and out came three fox traps with Charlies inside, and these were quickly set free just on the border or his permission. You can look at this from two different angles, a) enjoy the additional shooting opportunities if you have all the time in the world to dedicate to your pursuit, or B) curse the culprits because through their actions they are putting the enjoyment of your pursuit in danger as you don't have all the time in the world to be out chasing foxes that are being released right outside your permission. Further investigation shower that the van belonged to a firm of "pest controllers" from the area.

Cheers,

George

Hi

In the past 6 years I have been having a battle with fox. They eat my chickens, ducks and geese during the day if they can. In the past 12 months me and my neighbour have lost over 70. last yr I got my FAC and now shoot them and have only lost 2 or 3 since. Today while looking at google maps I find that 1/2 a mile away there is a fox rescue centre who release fox back into the wild :angry:

After reading their web site I feel if I go around there I will be wasting my time.

Hi,

Im a full time pest controller and when I get a call to trap foxes in a garden or where ever I always explain to the customer that when caught the fox will be humanely dispatched on site with no exceptions, I will never release a fox for a number of reasons but mainly because I believe its unethical to release a fox into unfamiliar territory, while releasing may help satisfy the conscience of some people it isnt doing the fox any favours as it will soon start to starve when it keeps getting moved on by the resident foxes this is applies even more so to town foxes.

I have had to walk away from numerous jobs simply because my customer disagrees with my conditions which they are entitled to.

Unlike mink and grey squirrels it isnt against the law to release foxes back into the wild.

If I was you and thru many experiencess dealing with ill informed do gooders I would say nothing and continue to discretely shoot the foxes. ;)

Andy

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will just stay quite and keep shooting. I will also try and find out where they are letting them go, as most farmers around here would not let them on their land.

I do suspect its very close as I counted 29 fox in one hour in my fields just before I got my FAC.

Thanks again

Pete

Depending in which part of the country you are located,Many on this site would help you in your quest to keep the fox population at bay.

should you need any help just ask.

best wishes and as previously stated keep quiet about it, and shoot the buggers

Electric fence is rubbish against a fox. I have watched fox just push under or over them with no problem.

I wish it was that simples

Turn it on.:)

I protect many thousands of game birds each year and have done for 25 years using electric fences. You may have had one bad experience of a poorly set up electric fence, but please rest assured they do work, as I'm sure 5000 full time and part keepers will testify.

Anyway I wish you all the best and straight shooting.

As Elwood has said a good electric fence will make them think twice.

As for the rescue centre, you may find that they will drive many many miles to drop the foxes off, as if they keep dropping in the same place your gonna get problems with the amount in the area.

They drop foxes down here from as far as Cardiff , 100 miles one way , it causes me problems on a couple of places but if you know what you are doing they can be easliy mopped up very quickly.

If there are that many as you say there are in a small area ,I would be inclined to use a bait station to draw them in , they can then be dispatched in the right place out of the site of prying eyes,and if they eating a bait they are not eating chcikens.

good luck with what ever you decide

Its not illegal to release foxes back into the wild, PROVIDING you own the land, or have the landowners permission. It IS illegal to dump them on land where you do not. Hence the ARSEpca using unmarked vans in the middle of the night. Bastards.

Its not illegal to release foxes back into the wild, PROVIDING you own the land, or have the landowners permission. It IS illegal to dump them on land where you do not. Hence the ARSEpca using unmarked vans in the middle of the night. Bastards.

as BALDIE says not a lot of folk know that fact-i know of a spot that gets regular "deposits"

its a private car park owned by a firm of solicitors who must be giving permission to the "nob eds" that drop em off,always in unmarked white van.its a good job that next door to the car park is a golf course that i have permission on with a mate who sorts out the bunnys we get atip off from the head greenkeeper when a number of foxes are seen wandering the course.

best night was 7 most in one month 22 .

my advice to TISME is dont say F.A and keep on plugging away. enjoy- your doing the foxes a favour if you need a hand let someone on here know im sure they will form an orderly line.

Yes, keep shtum and keep shooting them.

There was a big fuss round here a few years back, several vans were

seen to be offloading foxes presumably trapped in some city suburb.

Of the few observed there must be loads that get away with it.

A game keeper that I used to go out lamping with shot 180 ish foxes one year on our local estate. This was as we later found out due to unmarked white vans. He quickly learnt the places where they would stop to release them and laid up in wait a few hundred yards away hoping to get a few of them straight out of the van.

A few of them that he did get he said had shaved patches and stiching where they had been operated on and were generally in bad condition.

Thanks again for the advice and offers of help.

I have a forum member (Think he's on here he is on Fullbore)who is going to come over and show me a few better ways, as I do need to learn how to hunt fox. I will also look into better electric fences as I'm sure you can't be talking of the green fences that Scats and the like sell.

I must say that since getting my FAC, I do really enjoy shooting and reloading. I am hoping to join a club and try some target shooting.

Thanks

Pete

Thanks again for the advice and offers of help.

I have a forum member (Think he's on here he is on Fullbore)who is going to come over and show me a few better ways, as I do need to learn how to hunt fox. I will also look into better electric fences as I'm sure you can't be talking of the green fences that Scats and the like sell.

I must say that since getting my FAC, I do really enjoy shooting and reloading. I am hoping to join a club and try some target shooting.

Thanks

Pete

For electric fencing equiptment try these

http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/

or

http://www.rappa.co.uk/

or your local Agricultural supplier NOT LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE !!

Andy

A sneaky unscrupulous person would offer to help the local fox rescue centre.

Kind of a behind enemy lines approach and find there habits and patterns.

Would be quite amusing, you would have to get some suitable hemp clothes, become a vegitarian etc...

A sneaky unscrupulous person would offer to help the local fox rescue centre.

Kind of a behind enemy lines approach and find there habits and patterns.

Would be quite amusing, you would have to get some suitable hemp clothes, become a vegitarian etc...

Like you thinking ;)

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds!

Agent Todd Reynard B)

One less to worry about. Last night I christened my Tikka with a 200yrs shot at a vixen. She went down first shot.

Now off to join the fox lovers :rolleyes:

Agent tisme

hi guys ,

secret of electric fenceing is use good long earth rods on the fencer unit and mains fencers if you can if you use the correct earthing i can get 8000v regestering a mile away from the mains unit and it tickles your goollies if you got short legs when beating on my farm.

graham.

In over 30 years of rearing pheasants I have never had a fox go through or under an electric fence round a release pen, I use Gallaher fencers usually.

As regards the posters situation, yes I would keep quiet and keep knocking them over. We have had dumping episodes as well, a couple of years ago 7 or 8 ran down a field to my keeper when he squeeked what he thought was a couple of cubs. One he shot had signs of surgury. I am aware of another keeper around the M25 who spotted two guys letting a van full out at 6am not that long ago. All except two were shot over the next three days, they just stood when lit up.

A

hi guys ,

secret of electric fenceing is use good long earth rods on the fencer unit and mains fencers if you can if you use the correct earthing i can get 8000v regestering a mile away from the mains unit and it tickles your goollies if you got short legs when beating on my farm.

graham.

You Should know all about that Graham... Hope your shoulder ok soon Eric.

Hi

hi tisme

a local farmer were i shoot has been having the same problem,

we have shot several foxs on and round about his land. which have had vetenrnery sergery on them, ie missing feet and legs (stitch marks on there belly ect)aparently the rspca are releasing wounded foxs (road injury ) on a nature reserve close to were he is,beening less active they are going for the easy pray ie his chickens and ducks and farm stock,

Archived