Bergara barrels

Only one...i rebarrelled a remmy with one for a trade customer. The steel was excellent, and the barrel put the first 3 rounds through the same hole. I will definatly be buying some from foxy as he has them in in my favourite profile....rem varmint, and sensible twist rates.

He has quite a few in stock (more than 100 anyway), selling them under the GBR England banner, not sure if he has the encore barrels or just the standard blanks. As Dave said they cut nice and shoot straight, and are really good value for money - all of them come fluted and the max length is 26"

I emailed Bergara a while ago, but they did not bother to reply - just like Lothar Walter and one or two UK agents for barrels... I got replies from each of the USA barrel makers I contacted: they know about customer service and are not so complacent, perhaps. Pity -- it could be really handy having a co-operative European barrel maker, given the absurd and unnecessary hoops that US suppliers have to jump through to sell barrels to their UK "special relationship" allies.... I drive in France, Germany and/or Spain most years, with plenty of room to carry a few "metal tubes" home.

Tony

He has quite a few in stock (more than 100 anyway), selling them under the GBR England banner, not sure if he has the encore barrels or just the standard blanks. As Dave said they cut nice and shoot straight, and are really good value for money - all of them come fluted and the max length is 26"

ayup STUART.welcome aboard nice to have your input.-garyw[leeds]

• 2 weeks later...

TonyH

Bergara have been looking for a good UK importer for a few of years - after a couple of false starts - they now have Brian Fox who currently has a huge stock of Bergaras. Don't quote me but I think his price is about £140 plus VAT.

Although it is a matter of courtesy for Bergara to reply to you, they probably think it would be unethical for them to be selling direct to Brian's customer-base, having finally got a decent importer.

Cheers

Vince

Fitted a couple 12 months ago.

They machine nicely, shoot well and are, as Vince says, pretty good value.

They also come with flutes and bead blasted as standard.

This one was on a Howa.

_ASC0223.jpg

TonyH

Bergara have been looking for a good UK importer for a few of years - after a couple of false starts - they now have Brian Fox who currently has a huge stock of Bergaras. Don't quote me but I think his price is about £140 plus VAT.

Although it is a matter of courtesy for Bergara to reply to you, they probably think it would be unethical for them to be selling direct to Brian's customer-base, having finally got a decent importer.

Cheers

Vince

Vince, thanks for this helpful information. When I emailed True-Flite similarly at least they had the courtesy to reply saying they wouldn't sell to me direct since they had a UK importer - who is, I believe, the same Brian Fox you mention.

I wouldn't think it necessarily unethical for a barrel manufacturer to sell direct in addition to distributing via a national importer; there doesn't have to be an exclusive contract, and many buyers would prefer the easier route of buying through the UK supplier even if it meant a higher price, so the importer wouldn't lose much trade that way. I was just too late with Pac-Nor, otherwise they'd have been perfectly happy to send me a barrel. I do hate these cosy, highly restrictive, old fashioned arrangements with "exclusive" importers and so on, smacks of restraint of trade. Today, with everything opened up wider than before via the Internet as well as through the dismantling of many irksome trading restrictions from the past, it seems even less acceptable than previously to be forced to deal with a single source of supply. It's bad enough with the US federal anti-terror firearms regulations imposing lunatic, pointless restrictions on direct sales of barrels to the UK, but when we get similarly restrictive treatment from EU countries a few hours' drive away it is bloody annoying. Within the past 2-3 months I've driven in France, Germany and Spain (work + pleasure) and there is no rational, sensible, acceptable reason why I shouldn't have been able to drop into Bergara, Walther etc, stick a couple of metal tubes in the back, and drive home. Grrrr! Believe me, if I had the lathe skills I'd make my own, like an acquaintance did many years ago using Land Rover drive-shafts. I've just emailed Fox Firearms and will report back here.

Regards, Tony

Scotch Egg,

No - there are very few actions (BAT, Stolle, Barnard to name three)that you could order a true pre-chambered barrel for. Most 'pre-chambered' barrels offered by Brownells and the like are 'short', so that your gunsmith can do the final head-spacing.

Foxy stocks pre-chambered barrels for the Barnard action which will screw-on and the headspace will be within tolerance. However, unless you are an RFD, you would have to give your rifle to Foxy and he would fit the barrel and get it proofed before selling it to you.

Cheers

Vince

TonyH,

I'm with you 100% here and Pacnor were particularly good in this respect.

However, Foxy is now ordering barrels in large batches all the time and he has a massive stock of makes, calibres, twists and profiles. This is really good and it means that individuals or gunsmiths can almost get any barrel 'off the shelf' rather than waiting six-months or more if you order direct from most of the US manufacturers.

My last 'ordered direct' barrel took 12 months! It's great to be able to walk into Foxy's shop and come away with a barrel.

Cheers

Vince

Tony H said... "Grrrr! Believe me, if I had the lathe skills I'd make my own, like an acquaintance did many years ago using Land Rover drive-shafts".

I hope he didn't fire anything above .22rf through em. I've changed more crap steel, poorly made LR drive shafts than you can shake a stick at....lol..

Tony H said... "Grrrr! Believe me, if I had the lathe skills I'd make my own, like an acquaintance did many years ago using Land Rover drive-shafts".

I hope he didn't fire anything above .22rf through em. I've changed more crap steel, poorly made LR drive shafts than you can shake a stick at....lol..

The man in question is a Master Gunmaker who served his time with makers of London Best guns, and made/still makes his own rifles from scratch. Maybe Land Rover drive-shafts have declined in quality? I wouldn't know. But he told me that years ago he used them for some of his first barrels - typically .22 centrefires such as 22-4000 and 22-250 - and they were damn good. I've visited him, seen his workshop, know something of the top level work he does (he knows more about rifle chambers than anyone else I've ever heard of), and admired his rifles... I accept unreservedly anything he tells me about rifles.

TonyH

The man in question is a Master Gunmaker who served his time with makers of London Best guns, and made/still makes his own rifles from scratch. Maybe Land Rover drive-shafts have declined in quality? I wouldn't know. But he told me that years ago he used them for some of his first barrels - typically .22 centrefires such as 22-4000 and 22-250 - and they were damn good. I've visited him, seen his workshop, know something of the top level work he does (he knows more about rifle chambers than anyone else I've ever heard of), and admired his rifles... I accept unreservedly anything he tells me about rifles.

TonyH

who are you talking about ?

who are you talking about ?

I tried to PM you but your folder's full, Mark. Get the feeling you might know him yourself - one or two here do. He's a very private man and I don't choose to name him in public.

Regards, Tony

I tried to PM you but your folder's full, Mark. Get the feeling you might know him yourself - one or two here do. He's a very private man and I don't choose to name him in public.

Regards, Tony

theres room now tony if not uklr it

Archived