17 Mach 2?

Millwall Paul

I'm in the process of renewing the firearms licence and am thinking of getting rid of my 22lr in favour of the 17 mach 2 as it would ricochet less - with any luck. I have friends that shoot the HMR and think they're fantastic but does anyone know what the mach 2 is like? It would be purely used for bunnys crows magpies etc where head shots are the order. I have other rifles for foxes so that wouldn't be a problem. Is it a good rifle for bunnys? Also is the ammo cheaper in the mach 2? I'm erring towards the mach 2 rather than the HMR as hopefully it'd damage the meat less on rabbits.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Everything ricochets.

I'd get one in addition to the .22LR you've already got (extra range or for use with a dedicated night vision setup is good reason). That way if you don't like it you don't have to get a variation later to get your trusty .22LR back.

.22LR is still king.

Everything ricochets.

I'd get one in addition to the .22LR you've already got (extra range or for use with a dedicated night vision setup is good reason). That way if you don't like it you don't have to get a variation later to get your trusty .22LR back.

.22LR is still king.

I could not agree more. It is a very dangerous myth that the HMR and similar don't ricochet.

I nearly bought a Mach 2 but in the end swapped the open spot on my FAC for a .308.

The mach 2 is around £6 for 50. Capable to 100 yards and is efected more by wind than a HMR. For me I decided I would stick with the .22lr because it's quieter and cheaper to feed. Plus have you seen the price of the CZ rifles! They have gone silly money.

I have my .20Tac for long range crows :D

I have had a CZ452 in HM2 for a while now.

Its a cracking little calibre, it moderates better than the HMR and ricochets less (a lot less) than the .22LR

I had mine as a dedicated NV rifle but since I have now sold the sight I may end up selling the rifle too. One option to consider is buying a Sako Quad in HM2 so that if you want you can regain your .22LR for the price of a replacement barrel or vice-versa.

Get a dedicated .17 moderator is another good tip. The DM80 is very good and sensibly priced too.

Mark

My local dealer tells me Mach2s are near dead in the water round here. Still a few "Hummers" being sold apparently.

Personally I can't see the point of the Mach 2. It's way more expensive to run than a std .22LR and not a patch on the Hummer so why bother? Variety I guess?

Chris-NZ

We have sold just a few since its introduction, and all but one went for proffessional pest control on golf courses. The cartridge has its place, and its very accurate indeed at 100 yards, which is it effective range.

The problem is the ammo. Ever wondered why there is a large amount of blue tipped hmr ammo available at cheap prices ? They are using up the hm2 heads in the hmr cases. ;) Shame it hasn,t taken off, personally i prefer it to the hmr.

All very good information thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of the mach 2 as where I shoot can be quite a built up area and I was hoping the mach 2 would ricochet less than the 22 and have less meat damage than the HMR as I like to eat the rabbits I shoot and have been told that the HMR is very damaging if anything other than a head shot is taken. But as I have no experience with this calibre I'm sourcing advice from people that have/do use it rather than people that tell you it's no good but have never actually used one.

The HMR may be the way to go, I'll have to wait and see what my FEO says I'm allowed when he calls on me for my renewal.

All very good information thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of the mach 2 as where I shoot can be quite a built up area and I was hoping the mach 2 would ricochet less than the 22 and have less meat damage than the HMR as I like to eat the rabbits I shoot and have been told that the HMR is very damaging if anything other than a head shot is taken. But as I have no experience with this calibre I'm sourcing advice from people that have/do use it rather than people that tell you it's no good but have never actually used one.

The HMR may be the way to go, I'll have to wait and see what my FEO says I'm allowed when he calls on me for my renewal.

I would definitely not buy a Mach2 to reduce ricochets. At long range that bullet will ricochet. I have two Mach 2 barrels: One for a 77/22 and the other to be used with a 10/22 modified with a bolt retarding system of my own design. To shoot a Mach2 in a 10/22 without a weighted bolt kit is very dangerous.

I seldom if ever use my Mach2. (Except for 10/22 R&D work, I can't remember when I shot it last) I find the 22LR kills as well, if not better. I don't worry about ricochets here in Montana but the M2 will send screamers off of frozen ground or packed earth. Mach2 weapons are in the "clearance" racks of many gunshops here. Ammo is going to become a thing of the past, I think, as companies drop the weapons. I always wondered how the round would have fared with a thin-skinned, lead tipped bullet of lesser BC than the V-Max. Probably be a real killer...~Andrew

It will do everything you want it to, I purchased mine for a rabbit contract on a couple of local golf courses, one of which borders the town on two sides so safety was paramount. I was initially refused as I already have HMR until I said 'no problems' give me your direct dial number for the noise complaints from the HMR in the early AM. Application approved :)

I would rather take a close range fox with a HM2 than a .22LR with std issue subs.

Ammo is about if you want it. If need be Im sure your local dealer would order it in for you with his other orders even if you have to pay up front and draw it when you need it (I've done that too when needed)

HMR can be incrediby destructive on small stuff like rabbits, if you intend to eat them then HMR probably isnt the best way forward. HMR is effective on foxes to about 100m (personal opinion) HM2 is NOT a 100m fox gun.

Until recently 10 shot mags for HMR wern't available but now there are a couple of sources for Anschutz and CZ 10rd HMR/WMR magazines.

Mark

I am sure that there are serious issues with a semi mach11 with split cases and pressure signs.

Pretty sure that Volquartson have got it taped up. I have not noticed anything against on the US sites although most shoot bolt actions HMRs

A

I have found some links for reasons not to semi-auto the HMR e.g http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372825

I have lost the link to the store who has stopped making the mach 2 kit for the 10/22. Therefore I can't back up my clam :o bugger.

If it could be safely done without a third party mechanical intervention, Ruger would be doing it. The lack of a viable "10/17" literally killed the 17Mach II. I have a Ruger owners manual printed as to say it is also for the "10/17 Ruger" ... a rifle that never materialized.~Andrew

Paul & Andrew,

I was hugely impressed by the accuracy and potential of the .17HM2 and shot Andrew's 77/17 with what he and Tim called a "Hummin Boar" barrel in California in 2004.

As soon as I could get one here in the UK I did, I have not been disappointed and if you get in touch with me you can get a close up look see at mine if you like?

Andrew, I'm saddened to hear your view on the likelyhood of the ammo being phased out? Any chance that the work you have done on the .17A will come to the fore and ensure a long term supply of ammo for these fine rifles? It is not like we can go out and buy up huge reserves of ammo here with the restrictions on our licences?

Finally Paul, as others have said, it is a great calibre but does NOT stop all ricochets.

Drop me a line if you want to have a look at mine wich is a CZ American

BTW Andrew how ar the 20's going?

Paul & Andrew,

I was hugely impressed by the accuracy and potential of the .17HM2 and shot Andrew's 77/17 with what he and Tim called a "Hummin Boar" barrel in California in 2004.

As soon as I could get one here in the UK I did, I have not been disappointed and if you get in touch with me you can get a close up look see at mine if you like?

Andrew, I'm saddened to hear your view on the likelyhood of the ammo being phased out? Any chance that the work you have done on the .17A will come to the fore and ensure a long term supply of ammo for these fine rifles? It is not like we can go out and buy up huge reserves of ammo here with the restrictions on our licences?

Finally Paul, as others have said, it is a great calibre but does NOT stop all ricochets.

Drop me a line if you want to have a look at mine wich is a CZ American

BTW Andrew how ar the 20's going?

Hello!

Well, your advancing age has clouded your memory, old friend. That 77/17 was in HMR,not M2. I like the HMR far more then the M2 and that cartridge will go on forever. The 17A is a dead issue. (Oddly, the 17A does work in the 10/22 using a Mach2 chamber) I'm guessing that Tim and I have the only dedicated rifles for this caliber in the US. The bullet needs to be shorter or the rifling twist faster. Good little rabbit round.

Don't get me wrong, the M2 ammo will be around but with manufacturers dropping the chambering from their line, the supplies may be low with only intermittent production. (Like the 25-35 Winchester: They make a run of ammo every two years)

The 20 work is going well. Look to the SHOT Show to see what is new.

Happy Holidays, Amigo

~Andrew

Hi Guys,

Well I'm pleased to think that even if it becomes rarer, there will be the opportunity to get ammo for this rifle into the longer term future. I would certainlymis it if it did become defunct!

Glad to hear both you guys are OK, but less delighted to hear confirmation that my mind is going - and there was me with more concern about my eyes! :unsure:

I will be watching out for the shot show - are you guys teaming up to go there in January?

Archived