New addition Blaser TAC 2

Ronin

With a certain amount of trepidation, I announce arrival of the new 308, bought to replace the AI AW I had a few years ago (that was superbly accurate, but uncomfortable to me)

Ive always liked Blaser LRS, LRS1 and the later TAC 2's.

I was givent the opportunity to get one in late 2009 and took the decision to do so.

Ive been waiting for a few bits coming from the UK Importer, they have now arrived.

The spec is:

Blaser TAC 2 308 Win, RH bolt, 2 spare mags, versa pod bipod,barrel is fluted and threaded for mod / brake and NV rail fitted to stock.

Glass is S&B PM11 4-16, P4f illuminated ret.

Stock is extremely comfortable and infinately ajustable - a major plus.

Stock has QR sling fitments on both sides and is VERY comfortable to shoot sitting , prone and kneeling (dry drills only so far)

Ive shot only 5 rounds of some RG 7.62 through it so far to get the scope "on" and it was printing sub inch.

Will be doing serious load dev later in the week.

First impressions - its as good as any other factory "tactical" rifle ive used.

_ASC0102-1.jpg

_ASC0103-1.jpg

_ASC0104-1.jpg

_ASC0105.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's so perty..... :blink:

I'm not sure they have been called that before ;)

Congrats Andy, time for another Welsh outing now you can enter the 'factory' class ! (what happened to that thread......)

TC

Andy

simple answer, not sure, have to visit the Landrover stealers sat AM..

20 Tac

the picatinny is VERY strong, the camera angle is a bit deceptive - I doubt there will be any flex on firing.

Tony

yep, WMS revisit sounds good and yes its a FACTORY rifle,,,,,so I can enter FACTORY comps :D

I will be standing next to Matt with matching laederhosen, just to compete with "Brad and Janet the multicam twins"

:blink:;):D

Darryl

looking forwards to testing - the thing sits sooooo much better in my palms than the bloody AW.

Yo Chris

"ze germans" have gotten to me.

Having ad both AW and now Tac 2, the Blaser appears evey bit as solid as the AI.

OK the bolt - yup hear what you say, but if you look on the web, you will find ome footage of destruction testing of a variety of rifles fired with plugged barrels under slo mo video.

One of the weapons fired was an R93, it held no problem.

The bolt is extremely fast to cycle, solid lock and sturdy.

Ok not quite AI, but nearly.

Bigest selling point to me was the fit of the stock - ajustable in pretty much every orientation, trigger has five positions too.

Just on te trigger, its as sweet as a Jewel....

Had an LRS2 in .223 absolutely loved it, no idea why I sold it. Very accurate out of the box rifle. Shame on me and I shall have to have my mental capacity checked for that one. Enjoy it. I agree the bolt is not to everyones taste but try it first. The day I shot the 320yard buny with it there was a second just behind it, i was able to cycle fast enough to get a chance at that one if only I had remembered to count how many rounds I had fired cause it went click not bang and the little bugger ran off. Ask vermincinerator he'd remember it with a little chuckle. Never mind enjoy, i like the ability to swap barrels and calibres on the same platform, its a shame they dont do wildcat chambers and that the barrels are so expensive.

Nice one Ronin.

Must have a look at these when I'm at the IWA.

I only had one dealing with blaser, that was to sort out

a problem on a stock. Very good company to deal with.

No such a thing as not picking up a phone.

have fun with it and burn the barrel out :P

edi

NA , not for me at all , I ALMOST brought one years ago , when they used a 10rd magazine ( I think the curret one is only 5rds ) .

I consider the Blaser's to be JUST like Aussie FOSTERs beer , a Triumph of marketing over substance .

The only 2 overal concepts I like is that of having the mount screwed to the barrel & having a barrel extension , as a good means of calibre/scope swap , but donot like the actual design & execution of this concept on the Blaser .

I was not going to mention the fact there have been at least 3x blow ups of this action , basically the action unlocking wwhile the round is being fired , was a issue with pierched primers , venting gas down the firing pin hole & destorying the little washer that was used to cam the fingers into battery , then the bolt flys straight back into your face , Opps .

And yes , there are pics of the odd AI & Sako SWS also blowing up , BUT the main difference was the action ALL held the bolt captured , ie the bolt did not fly make into the guys face .

The AI failure( 50 BMG ) was traced to having left a patch inside the barrel & then firing explosive Raufos round thru it , split the barrel , the Sako , to using a different coolent during the making of the barrels .

The Aussies , use the 338LM version in their Armed forces at the moment , to me this only proves the Aussies are not the smartest when it comes to testing and buying kit , as they would like to think .

The Aussies also brought M60 machine guns , instead of adopting the MUCH better GPMG/MAG58 that was available to them at the same time , Opps .

They also speced there Steyr AUGs to have the round donut with out the crosshair , Opps another mistake , that took them 10yrs or more to correct , and I will also mention the BS unload/inspection drills they made ( because the NCOs where not inspecting the so called cleared wpns properly ) as the port is much smaller than the SLR they where use to , they had a lot of UDs when the AUG 1st came into service, and the stupid fullauto lock out button on the bottom of the trigger .

When in Aus in 1996 ( NZ had had the Steyr AUG in general use for almost 10yrs before some of the Aussie units ) , I was asked by the Aussie SNCOs how do WE handle ALL the UDs you get with the Steyr , I said WHAT UDs we donot have them, and that basiclly finished that conversation .

UD , Unauthorised Discharge ,

However , as we where being issued Aussie Steyrs while on EX with them , and because of safety with live firing , we HAD to use their verison of the " unload for inspection port arms" , drill , which involved the extra step of once having the working parts locked to the rear , ACTUALLY , unlatching & removing the barrel completely , holding the rifle in your right hand & resting the barrel on your shoulder , both pointing down range ( which is a solution for a non existing problem ).

All due to a incompetence & or lack of training of both troops & NCOs ,

It was verying mind numbing .

Later Chris

Later Chris

I was not going to mention the fact there have been at least 3x blow ups of this action ,

And yes , there are pics of the odd AI & Sako SWS also blowing up , BUT the main difference was the action ALL held the bolt captured , ie the bolt did not fly make into the guys face .

Sh't Happens: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=montana

:P

Thanks Chris

I'm aware of the facial injuries caused from the failures.

I will be FL resizing and using CCI (thicker cup) primers.

Some would say I could use a facelift anyway :P

Andy , Chris,

Well, clearly I agree with the facelift part of Andy's assessment ;) ; but this bolt failure business?

I think perspective on this issue has been lost and people 'cherry pick' the example they want to damn.

As I said, sh't happens.

Years back, more than one L96 bolt failed causing VSI (think one fellow was killed, but not certain). That's why you always see a hardness test strike mark on all modern AW bolt heads.

..but people don't dis' AWs do they?

Or M14s

Capture.jpg

Or lever actions

kaboom2.jpg

etc...

BoltRightLug-Closeup02-12192009.jpg

But I do agree that AUGs are sh't <_<

Archived