R C O COURSES

1sakonut

Good evening Gents,

thinking about enrolling on a RCO course , can anybody that’s already done please give me a idea of what to expect and how the course was run.

thanks for your time.

steve.

5 hours ago, 1sakonut said:

thinking about enrolling on a RCO course , can anybody that’s already done please give me a idea of what to expect and how the course was run.

thanks for your time.

I'm an RCO +HME.  Trained at Bisley before the NRA introduced the RSO.  It does feel like RSO is about making more income for the NRA rather than a solution to a genuine problem however that's the reality we have to work within. 

The RSO course is a prerequisite for the RCO course now.  Unfortunately the MOD do not accept the RSO qualification, they still require RCO accreditation to run civilian shoots on DIO ranges (military).  For most club ranges only the RSO is sufficient I believe; the RCO course adds little in terms of practical control.  Not all civi ranges accept RSO so do check (for example Thorpe Cloud range warden still requires RCO when I last checked).

What is it you want to achieve?  Do you intend to officiate at club events? If so, do they need RCO or RSO?  The training is around regulations, rules and procedures. There's practical and theory work to do.  The NRA set a reasonably high standard - it's most definitely not an attendance tick sheet type of thing.  People are failed; they do get a chance to understand and possibly correct short-comings but some do fail because they can't demonstrate understanding or can't exert sufficient control over proceedings during practical tests.  I found the RCO course well paced and well presented by the instructors, documentation was good, and you take that away with you.  There's lots to take in but it's pretty straight forward stuff, familiar to anyone who has regular shooting experience.  A good understanding of shooting related jargon is useful - Mv, Me, Milrads, HME, etc etc.

If you want an endorsement for HME there's a "bolt on" at the end of the RCO course.  If you want B.P. muzzle loading endorsement then contact the Muzzle Loading Association of Great Britain after you achieve NRA RCO (or possibly RSO??).

Hope that helps

I went through the old RCO course at Bisley alongside Popsbengo and agree with his comments.

The course was well run, interesting and imho, pretty good fun too. You need to think about what you’re trying to achieve before attending though as the new RSO course may be sufficient in some circumstances.

Expect to have to present to a group with confidence, to be judged on your ability to maintain control of a group of people and to demonstrate the capability to learn.

It’s not difficult, there’s nothing too challenging to an experienced shooter and you will fail if you’re not prepared to project yourself. The end test puts the pressure on and I certainly felt like I needed to keep my focus during all of the sessions. The tutors are friendly and knowledgeable though so don’t be afraid to ask questions but more importantly, don’t go if you can’t stand in front of a group of strangers and speak with some degree of confidence.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:53 PM, Popsbengo said:

I'm an RCO +HME.  Trained at Bisley before the NRA introduced the RSO.  It does feel like RSO is about making more income for the NRA rather than a solution to a genuine problem however that's the reality we have to work within. 

The RSO course is a prerequisite for the RCO course now.  Unfortunately the MOD do not accept the RSO qualification, they still require RCO accreditation to run civilian shoots on DIO ranges (military).

I thought the new course structure was agreed between the NRA and MoD because the Mod didn't like the fact the RCO course was 2 days and the .mil course was 4 - so how were civvies getting the full training considering they could be running the same ranges when it take the military brain twice as long?

So it appears it was a solution to an MoD perceived problem that may or may not have existed, the money making part (if there really is much to be made) is a welcome benefit for the NRA and an unwelcome burden on the candidates.

4 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

I thought the new course structure was agreed between the NRA and MoD because the Mod didn't like the fact the RCO course was 2 days and the .mil course was 4 - so how were civvies getting the full training considering they could be running the same ranges when it take the military brain twice as long?

So it appears it was a solution to an MoD perceived problem that may or may not have existed, the money making part (if there really is much to be made) is a welcome benefit for the NRA and an unwelcome burden on the candidates.

Not aware of that.  The NRA literature suggested the RSO course was more 'tuned' to clubs using their own ranges whereas the RCO course included training appropriate to DIO regulations that's not pertinent to non-military ranges.  Do you have some further info or can you point me in the right direction to find more please?

The military brain comes in various varieties from the hapless and hopeless Rupert to the gnarly NCO.  Guess what I was 😉

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Ring the NRA and ask them?

nah, too easy..

I don't think the NRA will be discussing relations with the MOD with Joe Public anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I completed both courses recently and both very well run by the instructors. 

RSO was 2 days with mornings in the classroom and afternoons on the range at Melville running squads of shooters, so some good practice in running a range. Included comprehensive notes. Suitable for running club ranges and would recommend.

RCO was focused on MOD ranges. All classroom and theory based but still had a great opportunity to ask questions and engage in discussions. Included latest edition of RCO handbook. There are exams! 

RCO quail lasts 6 years! 

Cheers Jon