Howa Replacement Barrel??

Evening Folks

I am thinking about having my Howa .223 re-barrelled as my groups are starting to wonder and I have noticed some pitting. It is currently a heavy barrel but I’d like a standard weight.. I don’t need anything stupidly fancy or “match quality” just a foxing rifle and occasional steel smacking. I am based in Worcestershire and would like to know if anyone has an idea of a smith and rough cost? Many Thanks in advance. 

how many rounds have gone through it ?? My lad bought a rem 700 223 very cheap as the barrel internally was rusty and pitted, but I knew the history was lowish round count, so i soaked it with kroil for a week, then gave it a right good cleaning with bore cleaners and jb bore paste,and with a bit of load development it shoots a tight group with a couple of different loads, and 3 years  later is still shooting good, might be worth trying a good clean first..

Assuming you could buy a “factory replacement “ from Howa it would be a similar price to a Revarrel 

Tikka and Sako offer a rebarreling at factory option for a modest price (similar to higher end Re barrel with custom barrel price )

Howa May offer similar - perhaps enquire with the importers Highland Outdoors

A replacement custom barrel would cost with proof and fitting including a barrel in the region of 650 to just over a 1000 depending where you went 

1 hour ago, JR FIREARMS said:

Variation paperwork alone makes it a better option to rebarrel, but for the cost of a barreled action you could have a semi custom rifle. Easy choice 😎

It’s a simple 1 for 1 variation . Takes tens mins to do paperwork and it’s free , ( in Lincolnshire it’s a 7-10 day turnaround. ) 

there is sod all to be gained financially and buy the time his gun plumber has got the barrel done and then off to proof and back that can take weeks / months 

Barrel and action £550.00 from spud job done , and delivered next day if in stock . 

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/howa-rifles/howa-barrelled-actions-blued-sporter-action-with-h-a-c-t-fully-adj-trigger/

maybe some of the gun smiths on here can see if they can do a rebarrel and proof for the same money ? 

Im willing to bet my middle testicle they couldn’t get anywhere near it . 

That is a good turn around, neither of our local forces are like that!

Yes granted it may take a month or so, but you end up with a rifle that will be more accurate. And if you wanted a varmint stainless barrel for example that is £730, a rebarrel job is £650. So not far off the price and well worth the extra £100.

Obviously if time and money are a huge factor then yes it’s a good option. 

Regards

It’s not just a re barrel it’s a complete new action. Bolt. And mag for £550. 00 

it’s basically a brand new rifle. 

I have custom kit but I personally wouldn’t waste my money on a hunting rifle trying to pimp it up. Howa’s are a great and very very accurate mid range rifle that can keep up with anything else in its price point with ease.

obviously this is just an opinion. And good luck to what ever he decides to do.