Hi all, 

took my new rifle out to Fclass comp on Sunday at diggle, has anyone had any issue with the red blade on the trigger on a savage action? 6br , Fired fowling and sighters no problem half way through comp the trigger just won’t budge, after  removing bolt 3 times the trigger fired a few more times then last 2 rounds out of 20 it started  playing up.

is this a common fault? 

Whats the alternative?

Thanks Nick.

Nick, just about everybody has 'issues' with the Savage safety trigger at first - it just takes a bit of getting used to.

It's important to use the very tip of your trigger-finger on the red blade.  If you touch the black trigger blade at the same time, it will not fire.

Just takes a bit of discipline to get used to it.

Nick,

First, ensure that you are indeed depressing the 'thingy' as well as the trigger correctly. It is a bit different from  a normal trigger. Think of it like a Glock trigger.

If you're sure you're doing everything right but still encountering issues, you might need to adjust the tension set screw at the front of the trigger.

Adjusting the set screw makes the trigger pull lighter or heavier. Occasionally the triggers are adjusted too light (or this can happen over time with shooting) which does something internally and prevents the trigger from resetting properly - meaning it won't budge even after the bolt has been cocked. This is a common issue on Savage triggers.

I have heard about this possible problem, but thankfully haven't encountered it yet on my Mod 12LRP. I first heard about this from the lads at Fulton's, Bisley who told me that people come in from time to time to have this same problem sorted out by them.

I made an inquiry on a US savage shooters website about this and received the usual tirade from some members, basically saying  that we (Brits) not knowing what we're talking about - one going on to say the boys at Fulton's were "Bull Sh*****s"!  Something I was happy to correct him about!! 

We found that any sideways pressure on the red blade will cause this. The blade appears to be there as a secondary "safety feature" in a cheap single stage trigger that makes it feel a bit like a two-stage.

It will work as a single stage without the red blade, but the design is such that I certainly wouldn't recommend it. When it works, it works OK, but with the occasional jam..................we have ours set at around 450 grams.

Any lighter, and the jam rate increases exponentially.

The whole trigger only costs £35, which says it all, really...................

Pete

Hi all.thanks but No idea if a Glock trigger never ever seen a Glock never mind handle one.

Going to get the pressure checked.if the trigger becomes a pain may have a New trigger fitted.

Thanks nick

20 minutes ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi all.thanks but No idea if a Glock trigger never ever seen a Glock never mind handle one.

Going to get the pressure checked.if the trigger becomes a pain may have a New trigger fitted.

Thanks nick

The trigger on the Savage PTA action is not the same as on the usual Savage action. yes, it takes a little getting used to. Setting the trigger too light can cause the safety to trip. I found that much below 10 oz my trigger gets a little temperamental, above that weight it's fine. It also helps if you close the bolt gently.

I also have one fitted with a Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger which works very well. 

+1  on what TGP and 1066 said. The accu-trigger definetly shows up any problems with trigger pull. I've also seen shooters have problems when they lightened the trigger too far although personally I couldn't get below 12ozs with either of mine. A Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger was the best money I spent on the rifle short of replacing the barrel and have now fitted 1 to a competitor's rifle and he loves it. Both running safely at 7.5 ozs.

Thanks definitely going to change the trigger ! I did with with my Fclass 7mm, and will do with 6br rifle .

And thanks for the info on alternative trigger.

Nick 

3 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Thanks definitely going to change the trigger ! I did with with my Fclass 7mm, and will do with 6br rifle .

And thanks for the info on alternative trigger.

Nick 

I bought my Sav-2 trigger direct from RifleBasix - It came with A dvd of how to fit it if you wanted to do it yourself (fairly easy). According to RB website they will still ship direct to UK.

Cheers,

fox firearms has them in . So getting it from Brian.

steve Dunn is fitting it for me.

appreciate the info.

Nick 

They are even easier to fit now than when I did my conversion. I had to strip and rebuild the trigger unit completely but when I did my friend's one the trigger unit was actually virtually complete in the kit and wasn't far away from being a drop--in unit.

Archived