6.5mm 123g amax alternative

rhhudson

Hi. 

So with the 123g amax now gone what have people swapped to? 

For me it was an all round bullet. Good bc, good expansion on corvids and fox. And I'm looking for something to fill it's boots. 

My rifle is a 6.5 x 47 with a 1/8.5" 22" long 

So I can't really go any higher than 130gr.  

Looking for tried and tested recommendations please. 

Thankyou.

the hornady 129gr accubond long range or the 129 sst both work well.i also have good expansion with the 129 interlock.all through a 6.5x55 with a 20"barrel.you may find that the 100gr soft point does a good job as well. i have to admit that the best bullet for my rifle is the 140gr ballistic tip but like your 123 amax are hard to find these days.

Very useful resource from someone who's culled thousands of animals. Scroll down to the 'Handloading' section and Nathan goes through all the various bullet options. 

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

know his comments are made with respect to the 6.5x55 Swede but you'll find bullet performance of the 100g-130g projectiles as very close to that of the 6.5x47.

The 129SST is a very good bullet but has a thicker jacket and (I think) a bonded core below the crimp band. It is best used on light to medium deer. For smaller vermin; corvids, rabbit etc, I'd still favour the more frangible 120 Nosler BT.

My 2 cents 

29 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Very useful resource from someone who's culled thousands of animals. Scroll down to the 'Handloading' section and Nathan goes through all the various bullet options. 

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

know his comments are made with respect to the 6.5x55 Swede but you'll find bullet performance of the 100g-130g projectiles as very close to that of the 6.5x47.

The 129SST is a very good bullet but has a thicker jacket and (I think) a bonded core below the crimp band. It is best used on light to medium deer. For smaller vermin; corvids, rabbit etc, I'd still favour the more frangible 120 Nosler BT.

My 2 cents 

Thanks for that.... 

So yeah the nosler 120g bt hunting does look the best option. But at nearly £60/100 They are the most expensive! 

1 hour ago, rhhudson said:

What will the sst preform like on smaller animals? I thought they were for deer? 

The 123 sst performs nothing like the 123gn amax on deer. I used 123 amax on deer for 6 seasons. They performed well, killed quickly and normally generated a single exit wound but did “pollute” the carcass with lead and copper debris (this also happens with most sp bullets i have found). The 123 sst are much more damaging, multiple exit points and huge blood blister as well as ruptured diaghphram in many cases. I use 129 interbond now which work well. This is based on roe muntjac and fallow with shots taken out to 400m on larger animals in good conditions.

in all truth, all you can do is try them yourself and see what you think, only premium bonded bullets perform predictably once they are in the soft stuff.

I sort of switched to 123grn ELD as i still have 200 123grn Amax left now,  Ive found the eld shoot the same as the Amax with same powder  pushed with Varget.

But i also like 130grn Sierra TMK pushed with VhitN140 which expand very good even on crows .

Im using a 6.5x47 22" 1.8.5 Barrel .

1 minute ago, Furyan said:

I sort of switched to 123grn ELD as i still have 200 123grn Amax left now,  Ive found the eld shoot the same as the Amax with same powder  pushed with Varget.

But i also like 130grn Sierra TMK pushed with VhitN140 which expand very good even on crows .

Im using a 6.5x47 22" 1.8.5 Barrel .

What are the eld match like for expansion? 

Are they predictable or do they just drill straight through? 

Expand good , sent about 60 all same as in good expansion , cant really say how good on deer as head shot , couple of foxes they did`nt go anywhere.

Rabbits and crows really dont like them pigeons pop, Im happy with them.

Dont have any pics as im not really into taking pics of shot stuff too much hassle.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Catch-22 said:

The 120g Nosler BT is widely used in the 6.5x47.

Accurate and does the business. Can be expensive though.

I second 120 gr nosler bt excellent replacement

• 1 month later...

Archived