RS62 quality control issues

Scotch_egg

To quote from a recent post on here and not wanting to derail that topic I have started this thread.

Is this a one off or are there issues with the quality of RS62. This photo certainly gives cause for concern.

Can any other RS62 users comment on their experiences of consistency in use and in the powder itself. I would be wanting to meter using a harrells powder thrower but with grains like this I'm sure it would cause problems.

It doesn't metre out as well as other powders I've used such as RS50 or H4350 - the size of grain is very inconsistant.36459951454_7a033221fa_b.jpg

Interested in this too - I had wondered if I'd just picked up a bad batch (it's my photo above) or if this is the 'norm' for RS62.

I've used a lot of TR140 and some RS50 before and they've been much more uniform in grain sizes - nowhere near as bad as RS62 is (or seems to be from the 1KG I've bought so far).

• 1 month later...

The two tubs I have have some long and short grains (not as long as in the pic above) but there again so does the Vhit N140 I also have, as I measure by weight rather than volume in a thrower it doesn't really bother me.

At the theoretical level, Piobert's Law means that the inconsistent grain size will definitely give differing burn rates between the differently sized grains.

In its simplest terms, the oversize grains will yield a slower pressure/time curve than the 'normal' much smaller grains - the effect on propellant deflagration relates directly to the differing relationship between surface area and volume of the different grains.

If I was operating at the tiny-fraction-of-a-grain level of reloading precision (which I'm not!), I'd want all my powder grains to be as close to being identical size and shape as possible (ie to have the same surface:volume ratio) in order that they all deflagrate at the same rate.

Lol 

I've never seen powder like that.its definitely a stick powder.only RS powder I've used is RS40 and RS60.mine were nicely sized kernels.

Brown dog is what seems a powderologist.i too was thinking on the lines of consistent burn rates but as my namesake I've no I deer really

I have used RS62 a lot over the last 2 years and been through a few tubs. I have never seen this however and i always check the powder when its pouring.

43 minutes ago, Xtrema said:

I have used RS62 a lot over the last 2 years and been through a few tubs. I have never seen this however and i always check the powder when its pouring.

+1

I use both RS50 and RS62 and have so far only received very uniform grained RS62.  Never seen the variations shown above.  It meters like a dream....far better in fact than the N140 I was previously using.

Archived