Bighorn.

I think this is possibly the first one of these fine actions built up in the uk.

Imported by Paddy Dane, I picked a couple up from him last week.

NmkTfNK.jpg

The beauty of this action, is that is has a removable, floating bolt head. The ones I got were .308 bolt face, and I quickly changed one over [around 30 seconds ] for a .223 model.

O7jk4C2.jpg

The action has an inbuilt lug, so a switch barrel rifle is very easy indeed.

Also available is a magnum bolt head, so SAUM's are simple too.

s5SEx6t.jpg

Made from stainless, the bolt has a coating on too, which makes it as slick as snot.

Plus, they are all controlled feed, and the actions are cut with AICS/AW magazine slots.

There is nothing this action is lacking, and its cyclic speed is jaw dropping.

I fancied a bolt action .223 for some time, so a plan which had been milling around my tiny brain was hatched.

I did ok at the Imperial shooting my AX, but its weight [and mine ! ] worked against me. What would a lightweight, fast cycling .223 wylde be capable of ?

A bolt action would allow a longer, heavier bullet than a 77 grain AR load to be used, as they can be seated well out in the Accurate mags this will run. Plus the load can be tweaked on seating depth, unlike an AR. I plan to try some 77 grain TMK's in it, or possibly some 80 grainers.

Anyway, into the lathe went a Bartlien 1 in8" twist blank, and the throat indicated in. Chamber was cut as a .223 Wylde [ it works lovely with 77's ]

Finished at 20" , and fitted with one of my brakes.

MBG3fTg.jpg

t73HKuR.jpg

Stock is a McMillan CTR, chosen because it fits me very well in all positions, and is about as ugly as me.

Floorplate is a third eye model, inlet into the deep fore end, and bedded all the way through.

VajLEZS.jpg

Trigger is a jewel at the moment, but will be changed to a Triggertech once Marks shipment lands.

Ld4GRCn.jpg

Once I have a load developed for it, my S and B 1-8 will go onto it.

mYiBwtp.jpg

A beautiful action, and one that is without a doubt, going to be a big seller.

SDNknPk.jpg

It shoots very well indeed.

Only had chance with some AR fodder and some TMK's with varget, but its shooting 5 round groups in the .3's with no real load development.

I need a good calm day when I get back off holiday to sort its OAL.

• 7 months later...

Really liking the idea of these actions, and possibly something I need to look into before stumping up for an off the shelf new rifle. 

Was planning on going the .223 route and then onto .308 at a later date, so something like this may be better in the long run. 

I’ll ping you a pm for more info on this. 

Colin

Archived