long range crow calibre

Before I begin I would like to state that I am probably after the impossible, and this topic may have been done to death before.

I have just acquired a new piece of land to shoot over and wil be shooting crows and foxes. I already own 6 rifles so this is probably more of an excuse for another instead of a sensible question.

Most of the shots will be taken in between 200 and 600 yards however the wind is the problem, gusting between 15-30mph at a firing point but a lot of rises and undulating ground in between.

If nothing else then it will be interesting to see other peoples opinions.

Just as an initial scene setter,and to follow tackb's point: even the better 6.5s (x47,CM,260rem) drift around 30 inches in a tem mph wind at 600y.....so up to 90 inches if it reaches 30mph,as you suggest.

Even a good-very good-wind reader over reasonably level ground will do very well indeed to read steady wind to an accuracy of say 2mph over 600yards,so the resulting wind error alone error will be 6 inches minimum,and worse if the ground is uneven,with eddying and irregular wind effects,.. with a three inch crow,that's a miss,mostly.

200 yards of course is much less prone to such error. Ball park drifts for 20 mph at 400y:

243/similar 6mms 32 inches;223 34 inches-both with the better BC bullets (heavy ones)-getting a tough call too...another 100fps won't make much impression either. And remember a crow is maybe 3 inches wide-that takes very precise rifle/ammo even in lo/no wind conditions at distance.....and at 600y a 1/2 moa rifle will miss regularly....half thatdistance is such wind/terrain is challenge enough?

Clearly some cartridges as above,increase chances a bit more than others,but 30 mph wind/600y suggests stay home and reload for better days?

gbal

Just as an initial scene setter,and to follow tackb's point: even the better 6.5s (x47,CM,260rem) drift around 30 inches in a tem mph wind at 600y.....so up to 90 inches if it reaches 30mph,as you suggest.

Even a good-very good-wind reader over reasonably level ground will do very well indeed to read steady wind to an accuracy of say 2mph over 600yards,so the resulting wind error alone error will be 6 inches minimum,and worse if the ground is uneven,with eddying and irregular wind effects,.. with a three inch crow,that's a miss,mostly.

200 yards of course is much less prone to such error. Ball park drifts for 20 mph at 400y:

243/similar 6mms 32 inches;223 34 inches-both with the better BC bullets (heavy ones)-getting a tough call too...another 100fps won't make much impression either. And remember a crow is maybe 3 inches wide-that takes very precise rifle/ammo even in lo/no wind conditions at distance.....and at 600y a 1/2 moa rifle will miss regularly....half thatdistance is such wind/terrain is challenge enough?

Clearly some cartridges as above,increase chances a bit more than others,but 30 mph wind/600y suggests stay home and reload for better days?

gbal

Thank you for that in depth reply gbal, I am currently having a .260 and 6mm br built and it is more me fantasizing than anything else. I am also under no illusions as to what a rifle will shoot when in the field and that a "0.1 shooter" under the best circumstances is very rarely the same in windy cold and wet situation. I am shooting a .223 1 in 8 twist at the moment and a 7mm wsm, so I shall be picking the days carefully and calling the wind with even more scrutiny.

Shorty

Read the wind and accept it for what it is. No matter the calibre you're going to have misses, a crow is a relatively small target to hit in a gale.....

Picking a calibre with a high BC and zipling along at a decent speed will help, i use a .260. Ive missed more long crows than Ive hit, but Id like to think ive learnt a thing or two along the way ;)

Get closer. Few rifles in high winds will give you the confidence at 600 yds. Still conditions, that's another matter. I'd stick with your .223 and use 69 or 70gr bullets. It's what I use for crow and I've no problems out to 300 yds dropping them. Beyond that, the wind is the biggest factor. Lots of gong practice needed for 600yds but can you reliably, every time, hit a 2 or 3 inch gong at 600yds? Few can. Getting closer seems the obvious answer.

Your crows must be tame if they give you time to find the ideal shooting position?

From 200-600 yards movement won't be a major problem, if setting up for the day its possible to plan ahead and be in an optimum position

I have good results with a 8 twist .22.250 shooting 75gr Amax at 3350 fps. Lots of first shot kills at 500 plus.As said nothing cheats the wind but the .22.250 is easy to load for with no case forming.And the lapua brass is superb. I also shoot a 6.5x47 but prefer the .22.250 to be honest.

Regards Sean

Thats interesting Sean, can I ask the reasons?

Less recoil, Less powder,More suitable bullets,More brass, Quieter,Just as accurate.And out to 600 yards doesn't give up much against the 6.5 And i just like it.

Cheers Sean

• 2 weeks later...

the wind is an all time pain in the ass in my eyes,for crows i some times go for fast lighter bullets that explode better with less chance of ricochets,but then they blow all over the place,i have a few center fire rifles to and I think if you just shoot one and get more used to that certain bullet half helps,ive had a lot of cals in my life but I do always go back to my 6ppc and for crows use a 55 grain blitzking which I can send almost the same speed as a 22.250 with bench rest accuracy out to 400 yards and more on calm days,,

We have a 624 yard swinging target set up and have found we always have to set temp . Into our strelock too , was hitting target every time during the day but missing it at dusk

Temp will have a (small) effect at distance on very small targets.....

...are you using a crow sized target at 624 yards ( which might mean more than 3 inches more drop,or thereabouts?)

g

.284 win does a good job! A lot of recoil and powder though.

Not very economical but rather satisfying!

Atb,

Joe

And my pals tell me my 260 is overkill on the crows ;)

You're right though. It is mighty satisfying. It still tickles me that some just roll over with hardly a mark, and others look like you've hit them with a tactical nuke......

Temp will have a (small) effect at distance on very small targets.....

...are you using a crow sized target at 624 yards ( which might mean more than 3 inches more drop,or thereabouts?)

g

It's an "h" beam about 8 inches long swinging on a chain..gives a good thud back about a second or 2 after it's been hit

Elio,thanks....my question on size wasn't too well put-H bar is variously measured/sized etc -width/flange depth/beam not typically in inches or metric directly......clearly not designed for our convenience...!!

What I meant simply was,what size target presents to the shooter...something like "8 incheshigh x 3 inches wide" (ie crow size-ish).

I doubt that plausible UK temperature drop alone would result in enough extra drop for a miss-but maybe you could see bullet splash...in the gloom...

roamin' in the gloamin' of course is not an exact science... :-)

g

Archived