.243 Shot out or Not!?

camo304

Rifle Rem700 .243 26” Heavy Barrel, AX stock

Well last year I had decided to get a .243, for the purpose of reaching out to a decent distance. I began thinking about bullets I would like to use. I began thinking along the lines of shooting 58gr’s up to 87gr VMax. So I found a rifle and went to collect, happy with the rifle it was purchased and then off to a friends to get the barrel screw-cut, and then off to my local RFD to pick up 3 boxes of Hornady 58gr, 75gr VMax and a box of 100gr Federal.

Saturday came round nice and quick I had decided to go up to the farm, where I zero often. I got set up 1st couple of shots all down and to the right no matter how much I dialled the scope. It just didn’t move, dam It must be a problem with the scope after all it was a cheap Nikko. So I gave it up for a bad job. Off home I went gutted. Rifle not zeroed and a waste of ammo. So on the drive home I pondered about a new scope. I decided to give IOR scopes a try so order was placed. Few days’ later scope arrived, fitted and away I went back up to the farm. 1st shot down and to the right!? Ok so same as before now lets zero it. Dialled in the scope 2nd shot down and to the right? At this point I am thinking hundreds of things what is wrong, I just spent money on a new scope and that’s not the issue, mounts etc.... a lot of us have been there. Was it the crown? Couldn’t see any clipping on the moderator which is a Jet-z CQB with a 7.3mm exit hole.

I then decided to go to see Steve Kershaw to recrown the barrel. It turns out the threads where a slither out. He threaded it and recrowned. At this point I must say I enjoyed my time and brew there with Steve very pleasant guy and he did a top job.

Next available opportunity I was back up to the farm I took a box of Hornady with me. A quick bore –sight and off we went, 1st shot 1.5” off centre YES!!! Joyess moment I can tell you. Dialled it in, 2nd shot bang on the money.

A number of weeks went by shooting off the Factory ammo I had stocked up on, I then started to reload the 87gr Vmax running RL17. Worked up a load to .5 moa thought that will do for me was using the Hornady brass, a few more weeks went by and noticed I was missing shots? So box came out to check the zero 1st shot 2” off must be me... 2nd shot ½” off ?! 3rd shot 2” off picked up the rifle via the scope and found the scope moved? Turns out the picatinny rail screws had worked loose Dam. Not having much success with this!

Back home stripped rifle down action cleaned and rail screws stud-locked, again next available chance off to the farm for another zeroing session lol.

Months went by without any problem. One day I was at my local RFD he asked if I wanted to try some 105gr Amax... sod-it ye give us a box and I may as well take some Lap-brass off you, (rechecked the lands with this bullet) started to develop a load and found then to shoot just as good as the 87gr Vmax. After a little load development I ended up with a load of 41.5gr R17 pushing a 105gr Amax @ 3046 fps 100 thou off the lands (col 2.225) so far so good.

Months and months, went by until I started to miss again, so I rechecked the lands (after speaking to friends) and found I could seat the bullet another 10thou deeper. I’m thinking what is going on I must off shot the barrel out, so off I went making more loads up seating the bullet out 5-thou, 10-thou 15-thou, 20thou, to try and compensate for the lack of throat-lands left in my barrel. So I made up some rounds 2.230, 2,235 2.240, 2.245. Attached is the board I shot 2.240 is the winner coming in @ .281 minus .243 = .038 only a 3 shot group. In this process I found this barrel doesn’t like 5 shot groups well not when I am shooting it gets to hot and they start to wonder.

20150513_183813_zps7dote6eg.jpg

20150514_071130_zpsksqlrjxe.jpg

To conclude the tale of the .243 I would say my barrel is on its way out. I have taken this as a big learning curve, but for the time being I will carry on moving out the seated bullet until I get some spare cash or things stop working. The rifle was not new when I got it so I can’t say how many rounds it had, had through it before I got it. I now I have put 850-1000 down its rifling. When the rebarrel happens it will be a 1-8 twist I think and stick with the 105gr Amax. Don’t know what make to go for yet but will see what’s available at the time probably.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read guys just thought I would share my tale of the .243, any comments or similar tales please feel free to comment.

DSCF2040_zpsg7boyoda.jpg

May I suggest you first get the barrel checked out by Steve Kershaw, he will tell you what condition the barrel is in, it could be ok or not, may save you a heap of money in the long run! You never know.

Atb Tony.

May I suggest you first get the barrel checked out by Steve Kershaw, he will tell you what condition the barrel is in, it could be ok or not, may save you a heap of money in the long run! You never know.

Atb Tony.

+1. Secondly, when the re-barrel day inevitably arrives, there are many other 6mm options to consider. Regards JCS

I've got just over 1600 shots through mine, and whatever the previous owner had too!

I now home load either 80 grain bergers, or 87 v Max's, 20 thou from the lands 1000 shots ago. Short range accuracy is very similar, but I get long range fliers sometimes. Maybe I should measure the lands and set the bullet forward too

Atb Tony.

Or if you live in Lancashire, maybe you are closer to Opsrey Rifles in Oldham. If you need a new barrel, Osprey will match your Cerakoting as well.

Or if you live in Lancashire, maybe you are closer to Opsrey Rifles in Oldham. If you need a new barrel, Osprey will match your Cerakoting as well.

Thats a good call, Steve's is over 2hr drive there.

+2. Get it checked!

+3

Get it bore-scoped.

I read up somewhere that you need to use the exact same case/bullet combination to measure col each time, the bullet you used second time round could of been 10thou shorter?

Some very fine groups there though camo.

Camo

I have to agree with the rest of the comments, and I would also check all the other things like scope mounts crown Yada Yada , best to iliminate all possible

RSC.

I looked at using Reloader 17 when I couldn't get any Rel 22 there's a lot on acurate shooter and other US sights saying its a throat burner. Has any one ellse had experience with this powder? I've settled on Rel 19 in my RPA using 105Amax and viht 550 with 95g Noslers but have an un opened tub of Rel17 on the shelf. I'm very happy with both one for dear and one for fox.

Why not try some of the gunsmiths who actually PAY to advertise on here ?

Every one of them will have a borescope and rebarrelling facilities. ;)

I looked at using Reloader 17 when I couldn't get any Rel 22 there's a lot on acurate shooter and other US sights saying its a throat burner. Has any one ellse had experience with this powder? I've settled on Rel 19 in my RPA using 105Amax and viht 550 with 95g Noslers but have an un opened tub of Rel17 on the shelf. I'm very happy with both one for dear and one for fox.

Montey if you get up Lancashire anytime i wold take the RE17 off you if you don't want it.

Why not try some of the gunsmiths who actually PAY to advertise on here ?

Every one of them will have a borescope and rebarrelling facilities. ;)

Good point!

Archived