Off up the road....

Anyone else get it............the pre trip jitters...

Checking and double checking, maps, binos, range finder, bullets, gralloch gear,,,,maps, binos, range finder, bullets...

Ohh. Must remember to double check that I have replaced the bloody turret caps after tripple checking my zero (unlike last time and having a miss and loosing all confidence).

Im booked in for the weekend at the digs, nice beef curry pre-made for tea on saturday, the lads have been up on a different part of an estate near our land and one of them has dropped an nice 10 point stag weighing in at 17 stone, a nice looking beast. Im off to try and grab a quick couple of bucks before the end of the season.

Got a long uphill walk to a little stretch I found last time I was up, not good on the knee but fingers crossed it will be worth it.

Will be stalking saturday as wont get chance to get one in on friday coz I will be up too late to get an evening stalk in.

Plan is to set out early saturday morning, and staying up there all day (I dont fancy walking up the bloody hill twice in a day).

So, watch this space lads..............fingers crossed....

There is one item that stalkers forget on a regular basis.

The rifle bolt.

Throw those bloody silly bolt holsters away guys, and put the bolt where its supposed to go....in the gun.

one of our customers dropped TWO bolts somewhere in Scotland. That was a very costly excercise indeed....over £600 and we sold them to him at trade price, we felt so sorry for him. The police were not impressed either.

Have a good trip John. ;)

I have a freezer in the shop. :D

All my kit is permanently in the pick up, i'm out pretty much every week now anyway so the kits to hand when I need it.... more so come 1st Nov B)

As long as I have a gun and some ammunition for it and a knife then the rest I can go without if needed.

I usually have to work to a list for a stalking trip, pheasant shooting is a lot less gear.

A

Jon im puzzled as to why you need a rangefinder ?? as you can only see and shoot upto 100 yds.. ^_^

Have a good trip mate.

I have always left bolts in..i cant imagine anything worse than leaving a bolt or as said losing it..i have left home with out ammo before..but luckily i had 2 rifles..and ammo for that i had.

Mick

I'm sure we have all done it.

Once had a pleasant walk round in the dales with a pair of binoculars due to leaving the bolt at home ????

Been rabbit shooting where there were loads and left all the magazines at home so had to single load the bloody thing. Certainly focuses your shots more though so not entirely a bad thing.

B A S T A R D.

ok....Ive come home with nothing this time.........

And it was a very long hard walk up the hill. But I put that down to being out of shape and liking my beer a bit too much, but I got up and I did it. You cant eat an elephant in one sitting, a bite at a time grasshopper.

Still, never been round that side of the bounddary before and needless to say, I wont try it again.

Only saw 2 deer, 1 the arse end of it, and the other at 450 meters away, over a barbed wire fence, a stone wall,,,,,,,,,oh and sky lined,,,,oh and a doe...........

On and in regards to B A S T A R D............you spend all that time and energy getting to the top of the hill to the clear fell.........get set up down wind, nice potential area to "lie up" for an hour, get the range finder out to check distances and......................

THE ONLY THING YOU DIDNT CHECK.............................OR HAVE SPARES FOR..............

Yes lads,,,,,,,,,,I am a womans apendage that comes in pairs.

I'm sure we have all done it.

Once had a pleasant walk round in the dales with a pair of binoculars due to leaving the bolt at home ????

Been rabbit shooting where there were loads and left all the magazines at home so had to single load the bloody thing. Certainly focuses your shots more though so not entirely a bad thing.

Lovin that one mate....................lol..........

Memory of the trip..............

As I was laid out on the evening stalking ground.......I saw the swooping grace of a barn owl, it came out of the forest, dropping onto the ground and swooping, silent, deadly, beautiful animal.

I just caught her in the corner of my eye at first,,,,,then I figured out what it was.

Anyone ever squeaked in an owl before..........she was about 6 ft above my head, swooping.....AMAZING

Memory of the trip..............

As I was laid out on the evening stalking ground.......I saw the swooping grace of a barn owl, it came out of the forest, dropping onto the ground and swooping, silent, deadly, beautiful animal.

I just caught her in the corner of my eye at first,,,,,then I figured out what it was.

Anyone ever squeaked in an owl before..........she was about 6 ft above my head, swooping.....AMAZING

Been out many times after fox and while sat there calling have had barn owls come swooping in..amazing to watch through the nightvision.

Mick

Archived