new rifle

bramble basher

hi all currently filling out my fac renewal and was just thinking about asking for another rifle for deer stalking trouble is not sure if i need one my current stalking rifle is a 25-06 and it gets used on everything from roe to red without a problem, but another calibre would give me the option of using a heavier bullet but again not sure if i need to bit vague but would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have

p.s. was thinking along the lines of 6.5x55 , 7mm-08, 308

cheers b.b

Everyone needs variety. I don't have 8 fishing rods for nothing! :huh:

In terms of sheer efficiency with acceptable recoil, I have to say my 7-08 with 140 SSTs or Accubonds does the biz. My 22" bbl T3 launches these at ~2940 with 43.5grs of ADI-2208 (Varget) and they level any deer they hit in the boiler room. The SSTs are rather explosive but have serious anchoring power.

My younger brother in Fiordland (whose identical rifle I load for) continues to marvel at its performance on game as do his mates who are experienced deer shooters.

Chris-NZ

hi all currently filling out my fac renewal and was just thinking about asking for another rifle for deer stalking trouble is not sure if i need one my current stalking rifle is a 25-06 and it gets used on everything from roe to red without a problem, but another calibre would give me the option of using a heavier bullet but again not sure if i need to bit vague but would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have

p.s. was thinking along the lines of 6.5x55 , 7mm-08, 308

cheers b.b

Hi 6.5x55 all the way as they shoot so well out the box, tikka hunter is great for money and with sum home loads shoot one hole, i am a proffesinal guide and would recomend it to anyone, my mate cloverleaf shoots muntjac and fallow up at his and comes down to me for roe and red and has great succes with 140 grain partion's and hardley no carcass damage............

we have used them on boar in germany and moose in sweden so it does the business..............

cheers cornishdeer

hi all thanks for the replies have spent the day trolling the net and spotted a blaser r93 off road in 7x57 Mauser on gun trader until today not given much thought to the cal so any info would be appreciated such as factor ammo availability, brass availability, heads to use (or not), what are blasers like.

haven't sorted my variation yet got firearms officer coming round Mon night

Just to throw another spanner in the works don't discount the 30/06 which the 25/06 is based on.With the vast array of bullet weight choice (100 to 220+) available you'd have all the bases covered ;)

If you ever get the chance to go for pigs the minimum cal is currently 270/7mm so that rules out the swede by the way

Archived