Pocket Size Torque Wrench?

Not pocket sized but very good is the one I use - Seekonk - sold by Brownells and useful cos its in inch / lbs - so very handy for rings, bases and action bolts - to 65 inch /lbs....

Some of the pocket one are limited in ajustment level,,,

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Britool Torque Driver model TD50, like a fat-handled screwdriver, excellent quality and made in England too. They come up on Ebay frequently - I got mine that way at a very reasonable price, less than half the £70 - £80 I think they cost new. Recommended.

Tony

Brown Dog,

Just picked up a Borka, all you need for a rifle. Has the accuracy, not 'screw' adjustable (= less error potential due to 'sticktion etc.) will fit in your 'pocket'. Simple to use. Now resides with my other tools etc. in the rifle case for travelling to shoots.

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

And if you use a bit of para cord on the last stage then it's even more consistent (normal operation with your pinkies 4% accuracy)

DSC00165.jpg

Brgds Terry

Since an advert on the site is imminent....

Brock and Norris (Mike Norris) has the Borka Torque wrenches in stock.

Both the civilian and military models in a variety of torque ranges.

Basic difference between the two is that the military version comes in a TAB pouch (see previous post) and has a couple of extra attachments to improve adaptability.

Prices are 49 quid for civvy version and 75 for the military.

Mike can be contacted on 07971169829 or 01952670198.

Regards

Gareth

It is the same breakover action as nearly all torque wrenches, so not inherently any more accurate than an adjustable one, the "stiction" to which you refer is in the fastener not the torque wrench. The British standard calls for better than 2% accuracy/repeatability, which is higher than that. They all do a job in the end but having to carry bits and pieces is not good really, a one piece device is better. Accuracy in the end is in the hand of the user, which is the biggest variable, followed by setting using an analyser for each re set of value. In real terms no one here is looking for that level of accuracy, so any decent make will do whats required at an affordable price if used sensibly.

Redfox

It is the same breakover action as nearly all torque wrenches, so not inherently any more accurate than an adjustable one, the "stiction" to which you refer is in the fastener not the torque wrench. The British standard calls for better than 2% accuracy/repeatability, which is higher than that. They all do a job in the end but having to carry bits and pieces is not good really, a one piece device is better. Accuracy in the end is in the hand of the user, which is the biggest variable, followed by setting using an analyser for each re set of value. In real terms no one here is looking for that level of accuracy, so any decent make will do whats required at an affordable price if used sensibly.

Redfox

Absolutely

Well, yes....but the Borka is neat, packable and fool proof. Maxing on the 'packable'.

It looks to be spot on for what I want - something light, small & simple.

Have a look at this vid (bit of an AQ look to the set background, but he doesn't cut the Borka's head off :rolleyes::lol: ):

It looks ok

but,,,,only has twelve settings, these are fixed, so if you need something that isnt there, then your'e on a loser.

Practically, I only use 3 or four settings with any repetition;

65 inch lbs for stock screws

12 inch lbs for rings / rail fittings

32 inch lbs for clamp bolts - on TPS / Badger rings.

The diesign is simple, "idiot proof" although you need the Mil version for true end user simplicity....

Or buy the civvy version and engrave the settings saving you 25 quid.

I will stick with my Seekonk ;)

Never use a torque tool to loosen anything, they work one way only.

When I was working in a bike shop a customer who was in the motorsport industry had a hissy fit when he saw me using a torque wrench to undo a bottom bracket on his top end mountain bike. He told me that when they were having issues with the caliper bolts coming loose on Neil Hodgsons motorbike they blamed the tools. After sending them back for testing they were well out and it came down to the new lad using the wrench for taking off disc rotors!

Why don't you get one BD and trial it?

OA,

I've got one sorted with the help with a couple of chaps here, if I hadn't I'd be following up Zaitsev's pointer earlier in the thread - this looks to be exactly what I want to have sitting in my gun case when I go travelling (something light and foolproof to retorque stock screws when putting the barrel and action back into the stock)

I'll get back with how I get on with it.

They work. Ratwhiskers from this site has been trialling one for some time.

When a group of us were in Africa earlier this year we had some issues with a suspected zero shift on the ratrifle.

Stripped and checked then re-assembled with the Borka (after having been assembled in the UK with one) it shot exactly to point of aim.

Just the kind of repeatability needed.

Found the MHH / Torqueleader site eventually, a good read for anybody wanting information. http://www.torqueleader.com/general.asp?id=3

Redfox

What hex heads OA ? bolts/screws or bits?

It must be the bits RF. The ones that fit in the 1/4 drive [or whatever] at one end and then into the screw on the scope rings etc. I have those that you get free with the bits and bobs you buy but would like to own a good set that are accurately made and fit properly if you know what I mean?

I use a set of bits that are made up of all sorts right now, but most are "Tengue Tools" bits either hollow ground for the flat blades or torque heads for the rest. I that which promotes growth and vigour canned my screw driver in favour of using the torque bar, but now I've got the Mil unit with a pouch I've re-enstated it just to see how it runs (it'll do to throw at some fekker who makes a smart comment sometime)

The rifle had been filled with dust from a rough trip in the bush, so I stripped the unit down to it's scivvies and fettled it. Two hexheads and two 1/2 nuts and a swill of wipe out latter it was a happy bunny again, leaving just one round to prove zero (bloody waist if you ask me) then back to work.

It does wot it says on the tin......

Archived