Barrel Blanks from the USA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

Does anyone know if it is still possible to import unchambered Barrel Blanks personally from the USA?

Regards

Mack

Yes but you'll probably need an expensive export permit which makes it no cheaper than buying in this country. You could get together with a group and share the cost of the export licence.

Mark

Yes but you'll probably need an expensive export permit which makes it no cheaper than buying in this country. You could get together with a group and share the cost of the export licence.

Mark

If you do go down this route though, make sure that who-ever fills in the licence application knows exactly what they're doing as the current cost is $400 PER APPLICATION (i.e. if it can be rejected it'll cost you another application $400 for the same licence) :o . Curiously I heard at the weekend that this was something that the UK government had asked the US to implement but I have no idea if this is true.

I know some dealers are looking at putting in a single application for a large number of barrels as they don't all have to be shipped at the same time...

JohnE

As one very well known US barrel manufacturer emailed me last year, "We are running up against import/export licenses and permits and can no longer avoid the process. It makes it too expensive for a single bbl order..."

Mind you, they did sort of suggest I might get a friend in the US to buy a barrel then ship it to me as a personal gift - though my understanding is that the Feds still regard this as export of firearm stuff, and the expensive licence is obligatory... Sigh - looks like we're reliant on very expensive UK guntrade sources for US barrels, for the forseeable future.

TonyH

Simple answer is yes you can, but the cost of Export licence makes the matter prohibitive.

I have just recieved a barrel I ordered 12 months ago from Bartlein, and I had to have it shipped on the back of someone elses export licence.

If you were to find 10 / 20 people wanting barrels from the same manufacturer it would make it cost effective , adding 20 quid to the price of each barrel, BUT the cost of shipping has also gone up massivly.

I have two Broughtons waiting to be shipped with another "bulk" order, shipping has been delayed it has gone up that much.

You can source quality barrels from the US here in the UK, you just need to know where to look, BUT be prepared to pay straight swap price for USD to GBP as the importer will have had to pay the extra shipping, the extra cost of export licence and cover his costs too and make a small profit.

I have no issues with using Border or Lothar Walther barrels in my own rifles, these shoot as well as any other maker (although I like Broughton and Bartlein) it wont break my confidence to use UK or Euro sourced barrels.

I believe the last manufacturer shipping out with a licence was Pac-nor. No longer.

Not viable for the odd blank.

All our barrel licenses have 50 or 100 blanks on them, and we draw off the license as and when. Its a nightmare, save yourself a whole load of grief, pay a barrel importer here, a bit more for his trouble [ and living ] and buy what you want, off his shelf.

Better still, support the only UK barrel maker, Border barrels. Excellent barrels at a reasonable price.

No problem with getting precision drilled shafts with internal stiffening webs shipped from the US without the need for an export or inport permit if they are for your own use.

I had 2 delivered last week without drama.

No problem with getting precision drilled shafts with internal stiffening webs shipped from the US without the need for an export or inport permit if they are for your own use.

I had 2 delivered last week without drama.

Thats fine, right up untill your manufacturer, the shipper and you get a knock at the door - its a federal offence.

Thats time.

You may not be committing offences here, but are, over there........

Thats fine, right up untill your manufacturer, the shipper and you get a knock at the door - its a federal offence.

Thats time.

You may not be committing offences here, but are, over there........

And that's why pac-Nor got fined $25,000...

Yeah "rebarrel time" can be a long long wait and I thought my need for a 308 HV blank could have been obtained quite quickly?no chance.Been waiting for 6 months easy for a Bartlein and although this is still on order, have asked my Riflesmith to get a border in the meantime and that should be with us soon[6-8weeks order time]I hope.

I did ring around for tubes in this country but no one had a blank,unbelievable in a common calibre like this.I have two rifles that will need rebarreling sometime I reckon in 2011 and am about to pre-order so no down time and the way things are just going up it could be money in the bank so to speak.As Ronin says Border or Lothar are probably as good as any of them and I may just trust it to them.

On barrels then,has anyone had any bad experience of a particular manufacturer and how was it handled ie "after sales experience"

For my own experience I have not had a bad one from Krieger,Pacnor,Border or Lothar and Riflesmiths RG rifles and Mckillop Engineering absoloutely first class service and work.

Perhaps this should be another topic?Onehole.

Onehole,

Have you tried Ron Hilliard at TVA or John Knight. Both frequent Bisley. I believe John usually has a stock of Krieger barrels and I'm fairly sure that Ron had a stock of Bartlein and probably some Kriegers.

Cheers

JohnE

Yeah "rebarrel time" can be a long long wait and I thought my need for a 308 HV blank could have been obtained quite quickly?no chance.Been waiting for 6 months easy for a Bartlein and although this is still on order, have asked my Riflesmith to get a border in the meantime and that should be with us soon[6-8weeks order time]I hope.

I did ring around for tubes in this country but no one had a blank,unbelievable in a common calibre like this.I have two rifles that will need rebarreling sometime I reckon in 2011 and am about to pre-order so no down time and the way things are just going up it could be money in the bank so to speak.As Ronin says Border or Lothar are probably as good as any of them and I may just trust it to them.

On barrels then,has anyone had any bad experience of a particular manufacturer and how was it handled ie "after sales experience"

For my own experience I have not had a bad one from Krieger,Pacnor,Border or Lothar and Riflesmiths RG rifles and Mckillop Engineering absoloutely first class service and work.

Perhaps this should be another topic?Onehole.

Your asking in the wrong places.

We have at least a dozen heavy target style barrels, up to 32" in stock, fluted and plain. Lilja, krieger, border, and truflite, in .30 cal, but only for rebarrels on site.

Did you try Brian Fox ? he always has stocks.

The country is awash with barrels - well not quite, but thirty cals are common..

7mm and 6.5mm less so :wacko:

The easy answer is buy british

Dave

Love to. I know of Border - is there anyone else? If I wanted a lightweight Winchester .223 re-barrelled in either 20 Practical or 17 Fireball, how much of a selection might there be, and at what kind of price - ? Curious...

Border make the archer barrel in both .20 and .17 calibre now Tony. Both are excellent, i,ve used several of the .20,s and a .17 cal for an ackley hornet only last week.

Been waiting for 6 months easy for a Bartlein

Bartlein's website says 8-12 months order-to-delivery time now, and that's presumably for domestic orders. A classic example of being a victim of your own success. EVERYBODY wants a Bartlein as fisrt choice now!

Border make the archer barrel in both .20 and .17 calibre now Tony. Both are excellent, i,ve used several of the .20,s and a .17 cal for an ackley hornet only last week.

Thanks Baldie. I just looked at the Border website for the first time in ages, and it does look interesting. Their list of chamberings is disappointingly limited in 20 cal (just 204 and 20BR) but they offer 17 Fireball.... Hmm, I wonder who i could get to fit an Archer Fireball barrel onto my .223 Featherweight and true up the action while they're at it...

TonyH

Thanks for comments guys.Yeah ,probably missed out some people that may have stocks of barrels but then again Didn,t know some of these guys exist.My other problem is I like to stick with the Smithy,s I know, just the way it is I suppose and understand that the guys that do have stocks of barrels want to keep them for their own use and business,no problem with that either.Never mind it,ll get done one way or another,cheers Onehole.

Border would be my last choice and only if all other avenues had failed.

The reason for this is not only is their price for cut rifled barrels very expensive but they sell to foreign countries substantially cheaper then they do to the domestic market :mad:

Ian.

Ian,

Our pricing is certainly not substantially cheaper to foreign countries than we do to the domestic market. If you cared to read our website before having your rant then you would have noticed this.

"All export prices quoted are exclusive of VAT tax, which is applicable in the UK and Europe. The governing price is in pounds sterling. Euro prices are for guidance only and are quoted at an exchange rate of 1.00 Pounds = 1.12 euros. The exchange rate at the time of purchase will apply"

so according to the exchange rate at the beginning of this year when the prices were uploaded to the site, the exchange was 1.12.

A contoured Match grade Archer barrel blank sold to someone in Finland would therefore cost 207.20euro @ the 1.12 exchange rate, you then need to pay our current 17.5% vat, which takes that price to 243.46euro.

Then add the shipping and paper work;

around 56 euro for shipping (depending on location)

20 euro for paperwork etc..

So now we have £319.46 euros , converted back to pounds this would be £285.23. Now because in the UK we don't need paperwork and high shipping charge for the barrel our UK customers get the same barrel for £264 + shipping as advertised.

So, Ian thanks for your 'local support' to the British gun / engineering trade. Your comment "Border would be my last choice and only if all other avenues had failed.", then I'm sorry you feel this way. At least we know where we stand with each other now :angry: .

To all other customers of ours, I'd like to say thanks for your support and great comments we get every day from happy customers and hope to keep supplying your favourite gunsmiths with our barrels. :D

Lee

Lee,

I looked hard mate and would not post such a statement if it was not correct your own figures tell the truth.

What other countries pay in tax has no bearing on what you sell your barrels for here.

Its simple mathematics my friend:

Contoured Border Archer barrel for Export =£185 excluding tax

Contoured Cut rifle barrel for export..........=£290 excluding tax

Countoured Border Atcher barrel for domestic market is £264 minus vat @ 17.5%=£217.80

£32.80 more expensive before tax!!

Contoured Cut rifle barrel for domestic market is...........£447 minus vat @ 17.5%=£368.78

£78.78 more expensive before tax!!!

As your own figures show your base price before tax favours your foriegn customers.

If your domestic retail price before vat was the same as the export price before vat then i would be buying one of your barrels :angry:

Ian.

Ian,

Our pricing is certainly not substantially cheaper to foreign countries than we do to the domestic market. If you cared to read our website before having your rant then you would have noticed this.

"All export prices quoted are exclusive of VAT tax, which is applicable in the UK and Europe. The governing price is in pounds sterling. Euro prices are for guidance only and are quoted at an exchange rate of 1.00 Pounds = 1.12 euros. The exchange rate at the time of purchase will apply"

so according to the exchange rate at the beginning of this year when the prices were uploaded to the site, the exchange was 1.12.

A contoured Match grade Archer barrel blank sold to someone in Finland would therefore cost 207.20euro @ the 1.12 exchange rate, you then need to pay our current 17.5% vat, which takes that price to 243.46euro.

Then add the shipping and paper work;

around 56 euro for shipping (depending on location)

20 euro for paperwork etc..

So now we have £319.46 euros , converted back to pounds this would be £285.23. Now because in the UK we don't need paperwork and high shipping charge for the barrel our UK customers get the same barrel for £264 + shipping as advertised.

So, Ian thanks for your 'local support' to the British gun / engineering trade. Your comment "Border would be my last choice and only if all other avenues had failed.", then I'm sorry you feel this way. At least we know where we stand with each other now :angry: .

To all other customers of ours, I'd like to say thanks for your support and great comments we get every day from happy customers and hope to keep supplying your favourite gunsmiths with our barrels. :mad:

Lee

Hi Lee,

That is a very strange way of comparing prices!

You've taken a 'guide' euro price, then added UK VAT, overseas shipping charges and a paperwork fee, then converted it back to sterling, just to compare it the UK price including VAT but without shipping charges!

As it is a UK product, the potential exchange rate, overseas shipping and extra paperwork charges are added on afterwards for the foreign consumer and can't therefore be compared to the UK price.

As Ian has shown above, without including any VAT/local taxes or shipping/handling costs or any currency fluctuations, you are charging one price for foreign users and another price for domestic users!

The difference may be £30 or £70 odd, but it is there nonetheless.

Andrew

I never said it was only based on tax.

we do have a slightly lower base price for overseas customers so that it encourages the sales as you are forgetting that the export customers are paying twice as much shipping charges to get the barrels to them than it would in the UK.

What is the price you are paying at the moment for your barrels, after shipping?

Lee

Archived