Barrel Blanks from the USA

Thanks Baldie. I just looked at the Border website for the first time in ages, and it does look interesting. Their list of chamberings is disappointingly limited in 20 cal (just 204 and 20BR) but they offer 17 Fireball.... Hmm, I wonder who i could get to fit an Archer Fireball barrel onto my .223 Featherweight and true up the action while they're at it...

TonyH

Armalon make their own barrels.they bought the Parker Hale machinery and have a factory in oxforshire

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armalon make their own barrels.they bought the Parker Hale machinery and have a factory in oxforshire

.... and the last time I spoke to Peter Sarony he wasn't interested in supplying them to individuals. Yes, he'd fit one himself at a package price but apparently couldn't understand why anyone would want their own smith to do the work.

Shame really as those barrels have the potential to cater for the FTR shooters etc etc with ease.

From what I've seen of the barrels on the Parker Hales (tx1200s etc) they are capable of outstanding accuracy.

WHAT ABOUT IF YOU WHERE IN THE STATES ON A SHOOTING HOLIDAY AND BOUGHT A BLANK AND WANTED TO BRING IT BACK ?

wOULD THE SAME CONDITIONS APPLY?? EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE YOUR FAC WITH YOU FOR THE AIRPORT THIS END?

I think Peter will shortly be supplying them to the trade. Roger was talking to him only a couple of weeks ago.

I believe the problem has always been finding, and keeping men who knew how to operate the old machinery.

.... and the last time I spoke to Peter Sarony he wasn't interested in supplying them to individuals. Yes, he'd fit one himself at a package price but apparently couldn't understand why anyone would want their own smith to do the work.

Chimes with a conversation I had with him a bunch of years back when I was lining myself up to buy one of his rifles.

Back then, he was fitting barrels he was bringing in from Germany - when I asked what make they were; he became quite animatedly telephone 'odd' and wouldn't tell me.

Most peculiar :blink:

I think Peter will shortly be supplying them to the trade. Roger was talking to him only a couple of weeks ago.

I believe the problem has always been finding, and keeping men who knew how to operate the old machinery.

Well that's excellent news and can only be good for the shooter. I have no beef with Peter, I just found it a bit odd.

Heres to some hammer forged long range mischief!

WHAT ABOUT IF YOU WHERE IN THE STATES ON A SHOOTING HOLIDAY AND BOUGHT A BLANK AND WANTED TO BRING IT BACK ?

wOULD THE SAME CONDITIONS APPLY?? EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE YOUR FAC WITH YOU FOR THE AIRPORT THIS END?

I carried mine back last year.

The biggest hassle is buying it. Some manufacturers wont sell to you, some will. Some wont accept a UK credit card but some will.....

Then there is the waiting time. You have to order ahead but if your window in the US is small then a short delay by the manufacturer means you have left the country before it arrives unless youre staying with friends/family etc.

I got my barrel and a trigger from Shilen.

MArk

• 4 weeks later...

Lads, Ive had barrels from Border on numerous occasions. Id buy them all the time if customers would go that route but a lot of my men insist on Krieger, Bartlein, Lothar Walther or Trueflite to name a few. The situation I find myself in has always really been, buy from whoever has it and if nobody has it on the shelf then order from the maker that can turn it around quickest. Most dont like the long wait so basically whoever can pop it out quickest gets the biz. Lately Ive noticed that Border have been surprisingly very quick to get it shipped so Ill give them as much as I can provided customer is happy with that. Ive always found Border barrels to be as good and better than anything out there and as they said themselves, if they werent they'd be better off doing something else for a living. Just like any major league manufacturer, if you cant match the rest or beat them then its over. Border Barrels get my vote 100%.

Fergal White

Archived