New Rifle from SYSS

jma

Hi All,

Today I had the pleasure of picking up my new rifle from SYSS.

A semi custom Remy .308 in an AI stock,large bolt knob (which was upstairs) not shot it yet but chuffed to bits.

I just happened to mention to Dave that I fancied a Schmidt bender, and just like that one appeared (well 3 actually). After some negotiations with the mrs (my nuts remain where they are btw Dave/Roger) it was mine.

A couple of hurried pictures that do not really do her justice, (yes i am having a new carpet hense the rush)

post-9760-1258756239_thumb.jpg

It’s not the 1st rifle I have bought from SYSS and it will not be the last. As usual outstanding friendly/knowledgeable service from Roger, Dave and Sheila.

Great work Dave, cheers buddy!

Regards

jma

Hi all,

Done the shoot 1 clean, shoot 1 clean etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, this morning.

It would seem it is going to be a shooter, after the cleaning i ended up with a nice three shoot group that was basically a ragged hole!

This was at 100 in quite blustery conditions using RG155 so i am over the moon.

alycidon i tried to weigh it, but our scales are on the blink.

another photo (note the new carpet :lol: )

post-9760-1258899016_thumb.jpg

Once again nice work Dave and SYSS

regards

jma

Just goes to show that thousands dont have to be spent to own a good shooter. This rifle is a bog std sps varmint. We reface, recrown, and polish the bolt rails, and reset the std trigger, in with the retail price.

Crap them remingtons, aren,t they ? :lol:

I am most definately looking forward to working a load up for it, and to shooting at some longer ranges.

More than likely that is going to be next year now.

btw Dave that "sweets" is bloody fantastic stuff!!!

regards

jma

Nice looking rifle, and sounds like it shoots well.

Load that it will love as follows:-

46gr's Vit 140

155 SMK's or 155 Lapua Scenar's

CCI BR - primers

Good Brass

And it will give you amazing groups.

Regards

Rob

Cheers for that,

The only things from the above i am missing are the 155SMKs and the CCI BR primers ( i use normal CCI) I have some .308 lapua brass.

regards

jma

And I bet it will shoot just as well if you didn't carry out all that malarkey!!!

Maybe,

But I have a lot of faith in Dave and Roger at SYSS, so followed there advice to the letter. If they consider it to be necessary, who am I to argue?

Maybe it would of shot just as well without the break in, I will never know now.

End of the day I am a happy camper, and believe me I hate cleaning rifles at the best of times.

regards

jma

LONG RANGE CAPT,

I have just looked at my vit manual, that load (46grs) is way above vits max (recomended) load 43.4grs for 155 scenar+N140

No pressure signs i take it ( in your rifle anyway)?

regards

jma

LONG RANGE CAPT,

I have just looked at my vit manual, that load (46grs) is way above vits max (recomended) load 43.4grs for 155 scenar+N140

No pressure signs i take it ( in your rifle anyway)?

regards

jma

155 scenars, 46grs N140 in Lapua Brass & Fed 210M primers (loaded to the same length-to-ogive as Lapua factory ammo) is my accuracy load too. Gives 2940fps out of my 24" Tube

...In cool weather it's a safe load (in my rifle!) and I've used it for a long time.

This summer I noticed, for the first time, rather more frequent case head marking than I would choose. No idea why; perhaps Lapua brass has got thicker, perhaps N140 has become a bit faster. Whatever, as a consequence I will now tune the load down a wee bit for hot weather shooting next summer.

155 scenars, 46grs N140 in Lapua Brass & Fed 210M primers (loaded to the same length-to-ogive as Lapua factory ammo) is my accuracy load too. Gives 2940fps out of my 24" Tube

...In cool weather it's a safe load (in my rifle!) and I've used it for a long time.

This summer I noticed, for the first time, rather more frequent case head marking than I would choose. No idea why; perhaps Lapua brass has got thicker, perhaps N140 has become a bit faster. Whatever, as a consequence I will now tune the load down a wee bit for hot weather shooting next summer.

Thanks brown dog,

Always nice to have two people with the same load, i will work up to it (slowly of course)

I have a 26" tube so may find that makes a difference.

regards

jma

Make that 3 jma.

I used to use n 140 @ 46 grains behind a 150 nosler bt. Excellent load. Also tried the same with 150 sierra gamekings and safe but not as good grouping.

All lapua brass and cci primers.

Make that 3 jma.

I used to use n 140 @ 46 grains behind a 150 nosler bt. Excellent load. Also tried the same with 150 sierra gamekings and safe but not as good grouping.

All lapua brass and cci primers.

Ah,

Sounds like its all good then. :)

regards

jma

If i had a quid for every customer running a couple of grains over lapua bookmax in this load.....i would be considerably richer. The load just seems to work when hot.....but MUST be worked up to.

It especially seems to suit remmy,s ...the 140/155 scenar combo.

Another plus for it, is that both the bullet , and the powder can be bought in bulk, thereby bringing the cost down a little.

I try and get a load for any of my guns using scenars, because, they are a good bullet, and can be had in bulk.

When I ran my 308 :)

I also used 46g Vit 140 under SCenar 155 seated to 2.850" OAL (SAAMI spec)

Pretty much one ragged hole grouping.

Also noted increased pressure in warm weather - 45g also just as good with slightly reduced velocity.

If i had a quid for every customer running a couple of grains over lapua bookmax in this load.....i would be considerably richer. The load just seems to work when hot.....but MUST be worked up to.

It especially seems to suit remmy,s ...the 140/155 scenar combo.

Another plus for it, is that both the bullet , and the powder can be bought in bulk, thereby bringing the cost down a little.

I try and get a load for any of my guns using scenars, because, they are a good bullet, and can be had in bulk.

Well i have about 150 scenars in my reloading room so i am ok there.

Is there actually any advantage in using BR primers, iv never bothered before?

regards

jma

Yes, they will stand higher pressures better. Good in a std remmy, as they are prone to cratering a bit.I use br primers in everything personally. that way i can judge pressures in different guns easily, as all the primers are the same. They have a thicker cup.

Yes, they will stand higher pressures better. Good in a std remmy, as they are prone to cratering a bit.I use br primers in everything personally. that way i can judge pressures in different guns easily, as all the primers are the same. They have a thicker cup.

Ok Dave,

I will pick some up, when i come to fetch the 20MOA rail. (probably next week i should imagine)

regards

jma

Hi All,

Today I had the pleasure of picking up my new rifle from SYSS.

A semi custom Remy .308 in an AI stock,large bolt knob (which was upstairs) not shot it yet but chuffed to bits.

I just happened to mention to Dave that I fancied a Schmidt bender, and just like that one appeared (well 3 actually). After some negotiations with the mrs (my nuts remain where they are btw Dave/Roger) it was mine.

A couple of hurried pictures that do not really do her justice, (yes i am having a new carpet hense the rush)

It’s not the 1st rifle I have bought from SYSS and it will not be the last. As usual outstanding friendly/knowledgeable service from Roger, Dave and Sheila.

Great work Dave, cheers buddy!

Regards

jma

A damn fine looking 'does what it says on the tin' rifle.....can't go wrong...

Did the same thing with my 22-250 Remy SPS. I had what I thought was an old AICS stock lying around but actually it was an AE stock - anyway once Dave had it under the lathe for a few seconds to trim away some metal around the safety mech - it fit just fine.....and it is a damn fine looking rifle!

Archived