re-using pulled bullets

weejohn

Just wondering how many of you reload pulled bullets?

I have approx 70 loaded rounds here with 70gr nosler BT bullets

and was wondering if these would be ok accuracy wise to reload?

Just to mention i never loaded these and all the powder loads were "thrown"

using the lee perfect powder measure hence me wanting to pull them all.

thanks

john

I have done it many times over the years and never had a problem. I use a collet bullet puller in the press and it doesnt even scratch them ( a Hornady one as the collets are better than the RCBS ones).

I have done all sorts of tests and not seen any variation in accuracy at all and have checked the bullets for concentricity before and after pulling and they were spot on.

Redfox

Absolutely no probs using pulled bullets as long as they're not really munted. Any collet type puller should produce symmetrical dents/marks on the jacket (if at all) and as long as the base of the bullet isn't damaged, they should shoot fine.

I once did an experiment using .270 projs pulled using side cutters as I didn't have the correct collet for that calibre. A guy had given me some reloaded ammo and I had no idea what the loading was so decided to pull them down. These definitely did not have symmetrical jacket deformation after this treatment but still shot very well, in fact virtually indistinguishable from std loads.

I don't think I'd use badly deformed projectiles for serious paper punching but they're fine for general purposes

Chris-NZ

Collets give better results than kinetic hammers as these can mash the bullets up but even so I have reloaded these and they shoot ok.

The base is far more important then the tip so just bear that in mind.

Just wondering how many of you reload pulled bullets?

I have approx 70 loaded rounds here with 70gr nosler BT bullets

and was wondering if these would be ok accuracy wise to reload?

Just to mention i never loaded these and all the powder loads were "thrown"

using the lee perfect powder measure hence me wanting to pull them all.

thanks

john

It's good to break down someone elses reloads, but what does the loads having been thrown with the Lee measure have to do with anything? Curious. Unless otherwise contraindicated, I throw loads all the time straight from the measure.

I have shot a zillion and a half pulled 173 grain 30 cal FMJ's in my day. No problems. If pulling military/factory loads, or other crimped loads, seat the bullets a bit deeper before attempting to pull the bullets. It works well to break any sealant or crimp.~Andrew

Collets give better results than kinetic hammers as these can mash the bullets up but even so I have reloaded these and they shoot ok.

I've had the same results with kinetic hammer pulled heads, even plastic tip ballistic tips that end up a touch flattened on the nose - hardly any difference in groupings.

FWIW, I only use large calibres with the smallest being .404 but I put a bit of bog paper in the hammer and the bullets don't get damaged. I often pull bullets and reuse them without any problems at all.

I don't recycle the powder though and use that to burn out ant's nests which is a lotta fun and works a treat!

I found when using a kinetic hammer to pull some v-max loads that if you put a foam ear plug in the hammer, the bullets dont get damaged!

Same idea but i used some decent thickness foam rubber cut to fit the bottom of the kinetic hammer.

Never any problems with damage to pulled bullets.

regards

jma

Archived