Smoke bombs

Elwood

I was talking to a chap the other day about reading the wind and I was telling him how difficult it was reading the wind on my range at home due to the topography of the land.

An example (will try and get some pictures up) prevailing wind is a southerly, left to right, which comes over and around a hill, but there's also a gully that runs at 90 degrees from the hill, this is where my range is. The first 100 yards are open so I get a true wind reading, then the wind comes over the gully causing a swirl, heres the odd thing, on the last 100 yards (500 yard range) the wind is coming back into the hill and from right to left. almost opposite from the firing point.

Anyway this guy came up with what I thought was quite a good idea and why not use smoke bombs every 100 yards to see what the wind it doing.

So the question is does anyone know where to buy decent smoke bombs and not the joke shop stuff which I'm lead to believe or crap.

hi Ian, hope you are ok mate, ill give you a ring at some point but does this help you at all

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_Make_The_...ange_Smoke_Bomb

hi Ian, hope you are ok mate, ill give you a ring at some point but does this help you at all

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_Make_The_...ange_Smoke_Bomb

Mark, I'm trying to judge wind direction not land bloody Chinook helicopters :rolleyes: I guess I could scale it down a bit.

I think perhaps the mole or chimney smokes are going to be my best bet.

Eddie, creative thinking but I think I will pass if it's all the same :P

Mark, I'm trying to judge wind direction not land bloody Chinook helicopters :rolleyes: I guess I could scale it down a bit.

I think perhaps the mole or chimney smokes are going to be my best bet.

Eddie, creative thinking but I think I will pass if it's all the same :P

thing is Ian with all that smoke wafting about, youll have an exscuse for missing the target :P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P

burn a couple tyers

edi

I thought that was an old S African trick but maybe it's Irish? :rolleyes:

One thing to remember is that the first half of the range is -way- more important than the final bit.

Chris-NZ

I thought that was an old S African trick but maybe it's Irish? :lol:

One thing to remember is that the first half of the range is -way- more important than the final bit.

Chris-NZ

Chris, this starts a whole new topic. I have learned that I don't need to allow for the wind that comes back into the target board area of the range.

Now I was told, like you that it's the first half that matters but in a discussion the other day I was told it's the down range wind that matters as this is when the bullet is at its slowest and more effected by the wind.

Chris, this starts a whole new topic. I have learned that I don't need to allow for the wind that comes back into the target board area of the range.

Now I was told, like you that it's the first half that matters but in a discussion the other day I was told it's the down range wind that matters as this is when the bullet is at its slowest and more effected by the wind.

makes sence really i spose

less velocity = more time in a wind = more deflection

If you think about it, if the bullet starts off badly in the first say 200yds, it's seriously doomed.

Hard-won fullbore experience has proven this to me, and all the experienced guys say it so it's not myth. The flags in the last 1/4 of the range are barely worth looking at (unless it's a frontal fishtail..) B)

Chris-NZ

Archived