Guess theres one less roadside sign in S Wales :wub:

Looks like it will be useable if difficult to transport ;)

Is it a solid target?

Guess theres one less roadside sign in S Wales :D

Looks like it will be useable if difficult to transport :)

Is it a solid target?

Yep sure is, about 2" thick

looking good kip , what finish will you put on it

Going to spray it black (spray paint from £ land) and a smaller white dot (will post pics when it's painted)

Thats a crackin peice of steel plate for the job mate! where did you find that, has it been laser cut?

Plasma cut, a friend of my dads got it for me

I was going to (attempt to) make a target like this to use for long range practise. But metal is not my strong point what type of steel do you use for the gong?

Not sure what grade steel it is, but it's roughly 9" round by 2" thick and heavy........

So that's the 50yrd line sorted, when you going to back it up a bit??????

This is for the .22 rimmy, next one will be for fullbore :lol::lol::lol:

Hey kip, at 2" that gong is going to last you years :lol:

Mine is only 1/2" and is heavily cratered by full on hits from a 270 @ 300yds!!

At 9" diametre it will give you a good 1.5 moa target @ 600yds, a challenge in anyones book :lol:

However for better visability i would paint it white with a black spot or flourescent orange all over

A nice job mate, hats off to yer dad.

Ian

I painted my gongs silver and you can hardly see them at 500 yards, day glo orange get my vote for colour! Only problem you may have kip (this isnt a criticisem, just taken from gong building experience)

If a stray round hits your rod which hinges the gong, its more than likely going to bend it, which could sieze up the plate making it potentially dangerous, as that 2inch plate will be a very heavy mass to move if the hinge is tight, u dont whan any ricochets bouncin around, Especially if you ever inten using any FMJ's

Cheers ian, if i find some flo paint cheap enough i'll get some, but i'll try this for now. (i'll bring to the UKV meet next year)

Cheers Shrek, i will bare that in mind, only going to be using it with SP bullets.

Here are some pics of it now with a fresh coat of paint...

106_1845.jpg

106_1843.jpg

106_1841.jpg

Yeh, 'cos Shrek shot the shite out of mine. He said he was aiming for the legs just beacuse the target was too big and easy to go at :lol:

I was tryin to hit the plate mate, just my bad shootin thats hittin the legs :), got a fox at 300 under the lamp night before last tho with that 222 that the CBB supplied, my mate said it was to far to shoot :lol: Another 40 grain V-Max that didnt expand :lol: dont like spendin half the nite lookin for somthin that went down, then got back up again!!

looking good now kip, did you have any probs getting the sticking target too stay on the metal, what do recon it weighs as well kip

In my experience the bullets disintegrate when they hit the gong, I hang mine from a kiddies swing frame with chain, we tied 7 balloons around the frame and the first hit on the gong (730yds) took out all of the balloons, also the inside of the frame looks like it has been shot blasted the way the paint his been stripped by the disintegrating bullets.

Ian.

looking good now kip, did you have any probs getting the sticking target too stay on the metal, what do recon it weighs as well kip

Hi Mark, just weighed, and it comes in at 19 kilo's all in, but it's designed so the gong comes off and will fit in a back pack, and i only have to carry the frame.

The target stuck on there no probs, but what it will be like once i start shooting at it, i'll keep you posted.

Looks great. However I would recommend adding some sandbags etc. to the frame otherwise you will get a fair few ricochets....

The gong swings so the likely hood of Rick O shea should be minimal.........but will report back once i get out and put it to use..

Don't wish to be pessimistic Kip but I would think that the first splash from a strike on the stickon will take it straight off the gong as the bullet fragments can only disperse sideways, especially with a 2" thick gong, fluoro orange or yellow paint all over is favourite, works best if given an undercoat of white, if you take the can with you it's possible to shoot a group then imediately spray over and you've got a fresh target instantly.

Pete.

Don't wish to be pessimistic Kip but I would think that the first splash from a strike on the stickon will take it straight off the gong as the bullet fragments can only disperse sideways, especially with a 2" thick gong, fluoro orange or yellow paint all over is favourite, works best if given an undercoat of white, if you take the can with you it's possible to shoot a group then imediately spray over and you've got a fresh target instantly.

Pete.

Cheers Pete,

I've seen them use the dayglo sticker on How to shoot beyond beleif, that took 3 hits and stayed on there....but i'll report back, and i'm on the look out for fluo spray paint...

Cheers Pete,

I've seen them use the dayglo sticker on How to shoot beyond beleif, that took 3 hits and stayed on there....but i'll report back, and i'm on the look out for fluo spray paint...

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/fluor...ints-p-196.html

Nice target Kip.

But I have to agree with Menial concerning the sticker staying put.

From the testing I did , the stickers often fell off , not every time , but too often . Either that or they became so damaged that they where useless , after a couple of hits.

This is very very frustrating :lol: When you have just put your target out at 700 yrds and you have to go back to it because the damn sticker keeps falling off... :P

This is what I do , Firstly , spray paint your swinger white - Its a far better colour to pick out than black - The cross hairs of your scope often get lost when looking at a black circle.

Then Use a coloured spary paint for creating the bulls eye with - Orange or green are ok and stand out pretty well against the white target. ( i use black myself )

Lastly , keep the spray paint in the vehicle , for touch ups

Hope that help,

Alan

Nice target Kip.

But I have to agree with Menial concerning the sticker staying put.

From the testing I did , the stickers often fell off , not every time , but too often . Either that or they became so damaged that they where useless , after a couple of hits.

This is very very frustrating :lol: When you have just put your target out at 700 yrds and you have to go back to it because the damn sticker keeps falling off... :P

This is what I do , Firstly , spray paint your swinger white - Its a far better colour to pick out than black - The cross hairs of your scope often get lost when looking at a black circle.

Then Use a coloured spary paint for creating the bulls eye with - Orange or green are ok and stand out pretty well against the white target. ( i use black myself )

Lastly , keep the spray paint in the vehicle , for touch ups

Hope that help,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thats what i have done on the other side, made up a template with a 4" circle out of the middle, and sprayed it with a white dot.

106_1847.jpg

Will report back as soon as i can get out and out it to use...

Archived