For those interested, the annual "Fly" shoot takes place at Diggle ranges (Oldham) this sunday (16th)

500 yds, 3 x 5 round strings - target is bluebottle.

Patch for hitting Fly, prize for tightest group.

There will no doubt be a few of us from there going who are PSSA members, if anyone who isnt a member of PSSA but wants to go, reply here and one of us can probably (possibly) sign you in.

(I am already taking guest)

Price is usully a fiver to enter and a fiver range fee. (well it was last year)

Calibre anything up to and including 338 LM

No muzzle brakes.

I dont think they usually bother with the no brakes rule Andy. Thats on the australian target , purely to stop the next man chewing sand ! <_<

looking forward to it. I won last year.......... ;)

Hmm

shall I take the 7mm/270WSM or shall I take the 338????

What you takin Dave?

Any takers on Daves request?

I am happy to, although I already will have one guest, if I cansign in more than one I will - Darryl / Baldie any ideas??

i,m already signing a guy in too, but it wont be a problem.there are plenty of friends there to sign you in Dave, just come along for 9 o clock-ish, and it will be sorted.

I,m gonna take the 6.5x47 Andy, as i,m out of powder and heads for the .338, and frankly, i dont have a spare kidney to buy more...... :D

Er, bring a rifle !!!!!!!!!

(and ammo and bolt)

Never mind "I want to watch", you can lie in the crud with the rest of us and have the piss taken too!!!

Sorry to hear that Dave, must have been frustrating.

Turn out was excellent, we had 2 details of 10 in the morning and two of the same plus 6 in the afternoon - my rekoning makes that 46 entries.

A record attendance..

Weather was fine all day but blustery 8-10 mph made life interesting for all of us.

Noticable that the 308's (well some of them) were being blown all over the place - some not hitting the scoring area.

An abundance of 6.5x47's were present, some of them built by our very own Baldie (who was also present and as competative as ever with his own)

Scoreing was out of a possible 150 with extra marks awarded to smallest groups on each of the three shot strings.

Factory class was jointly won by Darryl (no stopping the chap) with his (my old) AIAW in 7.62x51

Open class was won by a chap using a rifle smithed by Baldie in 6.5x47 - pretty certain its a Surgeon, in a Mac A5 and Trueflite barrel?

I took along a mate, we were both using 7mm/270WSM's that did just fine despite no winners prizes, I will be having another fly patch.

Managed to connect with it 3 times and scored 129 so happy boy :(

I have some pics to upload but my card reader appears to have "walked" :(

Great to see F2N, Dave and Lambsey off the site, craich always good ;)

I think thats the best fly shoot i,ve shot in.It was just a busy, friendly day, with much piss taking. :(

I didn,t pull any tree,s up, ending up with 120 i think, and for the first time, didn,t hit the fly, but it didn,t matter, the day was made for me, with my mate Ross, winning the open class, which includes all the benchrest guns too. He indeed shot a 6.5x47 in a surgeon/trueflite/mac combo.....also known as "the gherkin". He didn,t just win....he bloody well trounced the rest of us with a score of 156 i think it was.No one got remotely near him.

A great day, in great company of Andy, Ross, Darryl, Lambsey, and Richard from cumbria.

Wonky .50 cal brake anyone....... ;)

What a bloody cracking day, first time i've shot the fly shoot and it was fantastic!!!!!

I shot my sporting 6.5x47 off a bipod and scored 116.

very pleased.

Thanks to Darryl, Ronin,Baldie and all the others for there advice/piss taking

A very enjoyable time was had by all.

Now found the card reader,, in a toy box :D

Anyway, a few of the rifles on the first details. The RCO was dressed for wind, not just from the competitors!

DSCN1809.jpg

"you don't want to do it like that"

DSCN1815.jpg

Norman Clark built bench gun

DSCN1813.jpg

Some git from Wales with a fancy front rest and second hand AW :D

DSCN1814.jpg

Baldie built winning rifle, prior to realising he'd won!

DSCN1816.jpg

An idea of the target (my own)- 20 pence piece next to Fly, got caught a couple (5) of times by the wind :D , target is just under 9 inches diameter.

Each group is marked by single colour

DSCN1818.jpg

Standard is high to get into the winning places :D

great pictures ronin :D

whats the minimum specifications you need for your rifle to be competitive ?

great pictures ronin :D

whats the minimum specifications you need for your rifle to be competitive ?

Shoot straight and read the wind :D

Sorry, but its a simple as that - if you (and your rifle) can hold sub 1/2 MOA and can read and react to wind changes, you will be competative.

This applies to most disciplines (F Class, practical / tactical rifle, fun shoots like the Egg and Fly etc etc)

You only need to shoot really small groups in Benchrest. The current standard to beat here is 2.7 inches at 1000 yds.......

What a fantastic day :D

The company,, ronnin, his mate, lambsey, baldie, his mate,

was the best that i have been in for a long time,, Piss taking,And laughter could be heard across the valleys,,

The rifles that baldie builds are awesome to say the least!!!!!

Ronning got his wind reading skills bob on the money and hit the fly,, Well done mate you deserve it :D

Myself and lambsey scored well all day???? But all we could do was scare the fly to death???

So near yet so far?? :(

Ross, Baldies mate shot the best card of the day!!!!! I hope that dave could post a pic if poss???

500yrds in gusting winds is not easy???

All i would like to say, Is that i cannot wait for next year :D:D

Thank you boys for a good day out,,,, Darrel,,, The Welsh git with the AI B)

For anyone interested, I understand that there is a breakdown of scores in this (news links and competitions) section of the UKBRA site

http://www.ukbra.co.uk/

Archived