How many times do you reload your cases?

n8ess

10- 15 possibly more in a .243 ai using a mild load but case inspection is vital at all times

My PPC loads are hot, cases (Lapua)have so far done around 5 or 6 reloads each with no failures, I am advised that the cases will do 30 cycles without a problem using my load.

Cratering of the primers is the first thing to look for, a very slight raised ridge around the firing pin impact point, you may need to rotate the case in your fingers to see it.

The guy who built my BR uses a very tight fitted neck and tight headspace, my bolt cams down slightly stiff on new brass. He gets over 80 cycles from a Winchester 22.250 case, only scrapping them due to flame damaged necks. These are downloaded to about 3400fps from memory.

A

I have re-loaded the cases 4 times so far in my 6mmBR and my load is an 80 grain berger with 32.8 grains vit-140. No pressure signs at the moment so I should be ok for a few more. I am amazed at the figure of 80? I would be interested to here from anyone loading a BR to see how many they are getting on average before signs of wear start to appear.

Cheers

Neil

Had an interesting experience once. A guy asked me to reload some hunting ammo for his 6.5 Swede. It was a cheap commercially-converted mil '96 with synthetic stock. Anyway, did some moderate loads for him with FL resizing.

Shot OK and all was sweet until the second time the cases were reloaded. He rang me one Sun night to ask "Is it normal the cases fall in half?" Turns out he'd had a case separation and it ended up jammed in the chamber after he'd shot a deer.

Given the loads were mild, I was puzzled. Here's a sectioned case I examined - had had two reloads

Took the rifle to my gunsmith mate who immediately found 23-25 thou excessive headspace. The bolt he was sure wasn't the orig for that rifle. The idiots doing the cheap conversions obviously didnt take care to keep them matched and at the very least, didn't check headspace afterwards

Chris-NZ

I got 35 reloads from my match set of 220 Russian/PPC cases when i used to shoot Benchrest but as has been previously suggested this is because of a fitted neck chamber.

On the other hand i have had as little as 3 reloads with Norma 22-250 cases before i noticed split necks on a couple of cases, i binned the whole lot.

Like bullets, powder and primers, as far as i am concerned cases are expendable and should be replaced as son as any become suspect

I find this obsession with some shooters to extend case life to its ultimate maximum a bit OTT.

Ian.

Guest varmartin

I have reloaded my ( .269 neck 6mmBR Norma ) Lapua cases 12 times now and only had 1 split neck ...and that was down to a defective case.

The cases have been trimmed once when fire formed and have not gained in length since.....

My loads are `hot` but the primer pockets remain as tight as a virgin......a virgin case I mean... :ph34r:

I have re-loaded the cases 4 times so far in my 6mmBR and my load is an 80 grain berger with 32.8 grains vit-140. No pressure signs at the moment so I should be ok for a few more. I am amazed at the figure of 80? I would be interested to here from anyone loading a BR to see how many they are getting on average before signs of wear start to appear.

Cheers

Neil

32.8grns of 140 with 80grain bullets is a fairly stiff load in 6BR I would have thought, so you should soon be able to tell us how many times they load before they give up. :blink:

Would be interested in the mv and accuracy you achieve with that load though.

Pete.

32.8grns of 140 with 80grain bullets is a fairly stiff load in 6BR I would have thought, so you should soon be able to tell us how many times they load before they give up. :blink:

Would be interested in the mv and accuracy you achieve with that load though.

Pete.

As for accuracy, I can confirm at 100 yards this load does bullet on bullet consistently :D

Hi Pete,

Velocity for this load is 3086, using CCI 450 primers, I have done quite a lot of load development since getting my BR and I cannot better this load for accuracy. Vmax's shoot well with devastating results but if I was shooting for my life, I would have to go with the Bergers, they are just so consistant.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers Neil, just a genuine enquiry, I've settled on 105 A-max, tried 70's in various bullet types but decided to stick with one bullet to save a bit of barrel life. I must admit to finding 69grn Bergers very accurate over 133 but they tend to fly straight through smaller pests.

Pete.

Cheers Neil, just a genuine enquiry, I've settled on 105 A-max, tried 70's in various bullet types but decided to stick with one bullet to save a bit of barrel life. I must admit to finding 69grn Bergers very accurate over 133 but they tend to fly straight through smaller pests.

Pete.

Well change them for 65gr Vmax's !, or Barts 68Gr. They both stop anything between them, but the 65s are a bit special on magpies.

A

Won't be trying anything elsein the 6BR for a while, just had my M595 Ackleyed and am now annealing and fireforming cases prior to load development.

Pacnor 1in9 and MacMillan Sako hunter stock forms the basis for the new project, only drawback being the tailgate on an 8 wheel lorry slammed shut on my hand today, breaking the bones in the back of my hand, so progress could be slow till I get the plaster cast off.

Pete.

Hi Chris, how's winter treating you down there, it's now full summer and the invites are flooding in to shoot fox cubs and I'm buggered. I guess the bipod will see a lot of use over the next few weeks. First pheasant poults to go to the woods this week so that could be interesting catching them one handed.

Luckily enough it's my left that's broke so can still squeeze a trigger.

Regards Pete.

Hi Chris, how's winter treating you down there, it's now full summer and the invites are flooding in ...

Luckily enough it's my left that's broke so can still squeeze a trigger.

Regards Pete.

Bit chilly down here Pete (by our mild stds) but we're bearing up. Luckily we have unlimited firewood on our life sentence block- it's my token exercise chopping it up.

Thank god for small mercies it wasn't your right hand.

Chris

Hi Pete ,

I hope your hand gets better soon :) , with varmint season in its a bit of a that which promotes growth and vigour for that to happen!!! :D :D

Take care......................

RAY.......................................

Averaging 15 reloads before primer pockets are loosening with most of my brass (which is either LApua or Norma)

The 6.5x47 is the worst for primer pocket enlargment - but its run hot....fortunatley I have 400 cases on the go.

Easiest on cases is the 25-06 and 22-250AI, they last forever!

Believe it or not the 338LM is pretty good on cases too :)

Archived