Bumped shoulder too far??

Catch-22

but I’m also assuming that if I’m using a .308w sbd for my 6.5x47, I must use the sbd AND my normal Whidden FL die because the .30w sbd won’t bump my shoulder or the neck correctly.

That correct? 

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

0.001"

I guessed that from the likely dimensions but in what world does 'fow' get used instead of 'thou' .  I've been in engineering for all my working life and that's a new one on me !  😁

14 minutes ago, Pat Allen said:

I said that to him pops but he’s from Somerset 🙄

explains a lot 😁

6 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

but I’m also assuming that if I’m using a .308w sbd for my 6.5x47, I must use the sbd AND my normal Whidden FL die because the .30w sbd won’t bump my shoulder or the neck correctly.

That correct?

'Decisions, decisions', Catch ....we're all peeking over your 'shoulder' wishing you appropriate the correct procedure 🙃..... we're rooting for you brother, and we have faith in you! 😁

7 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I take on board Al’s comments about using the sbd die but then the shoulder will grow. And if FL sizing after the and, then the .200” line may grow again…so that chicken and egg…size one bit and the other bit grows, and vice versa. One to just keep an eye on.

That wont happen, if you get the .200" area under control first it will be fine to then bump the shoulder, any material movement in the shoulder then disperses over the entire case.

Ive regularly measured the shoulder growing when squeeing the .200 area but never the other way around.

23 minutes ago, Big Al said:

That wont happen, if you get the .200" area under control first it will be fine to then bump the shoulder, any material movement in the shoulder then disperses over the entire case.

Ive regularly measured the shoulder growing when squeeing the .200 area but never the other way around.

That’s very helpful and good to know. Thanks.

And many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in with advice and offers of help, publicly or privately. I appreciate it!

Tbh, I’ll give this sized brass ago and see what happens with the shoulder on the next firing and FL sizing. 

In worst case scenario, I’ll just get myself a .308w Small base die to squeeze in the .200” line of the web, before FL sizing again with my Whidden 6.5x47 FL die to side the neck and bump the shoulder.

So worst case, I’ll add an extra sizing step in my routine. 

Many thanks again to all. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 3:25 AM, No i deer said:

That's correct Al..

Keep writing 1 thousandth is irritating 🤣.

1 fow 👍

1 mower is 1 moa 🤣.

Zomerset lingo

Thank you for translation, I speak American redneck thus I was confused

30 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

Thank you for translation, I speak American redneck thus I was confused

don't sweat it,  no one who speaks English - English does either 🤣

2 hours ago, snakeman said:

Any dialect/accent that's from across the Severn Bridge .."what was that, can you say that again please"? ..and further north...subtitles please! 🤔

🤣🤣🤩🤩🤣