Front sling swivel.

Alycidon

My new 20 has a wide flat target forend. I am toying with the idea of putting some sort of swivel on it to allow the fitting of a Harris bipod when needed. At 14lbs already it is not envisaged as a carry rifle but occasions like the fox the other night make it a handy option.

The action and barrel have been lowered into the laminated walnut stock to further reduce stock tork and flex under fire. As a result the material under the barrel at the forend is now only about 12mm or so thick. Is this too thin to safely fit a front swivel without the risk of it cracking the fore end. material is laminated walnut.

Thanks for your thoughts.

A

One possible solution- get a machine screw version QD stud and replace the nut part with a say 1/10" thick 3/4" diam "washer/nut" that is countersunk (from above) and Araldited into the forend. That should spread the load adequately to prevent cracking.

Chris-NZ

One possible solution- get a machine screw version QD stud and replace the nut part with a say 1/10" thick 3/4" diam "washer/nut" that is countersunk (from above) and Araldited into the forend. That should spread the load adequately to prevent cracking.

Chris-NZ

It would also allow me to remove it when I shoot it off a bag, thanks for that, any more thoughs lads?.

A

Geoff, imagine that drawing that Chris has done. Then imagine the female threaded part extended, right to the stock surface. If you make the plate on the inside round, then the machine screw could be screwed up tight, and the female section rotated, until the stud was perfectly square, then the disc part devconned in. This would give superior support, with no chance of the stud pulling out, and the stud would always line up square when removed and replaced. Think of it like a bedding pillar.

Try these...

Flush/QD swivels

Thanks for the thought, I did look at those a while ago but I need an eye to attach a bipod to, you would not want to carry this beast very far I can tell you. I think the threaded insert idea is good and is one that Vermincinerator had proposed before I put the thread up.

A

There is a ready made product but getting something made up Vermincinerator would see as a minor challenge. If I need to I will just get one from Callum providing they are still available. Found the add on Airgun BBS as well thanks, it is Ffireblade, from his description I went to the Harris site, looks like HB2 will do me, probably need an HB9 as well.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB2.html

A

• 1 year later...

Something like this...

QR Pins

I need to fit some swivels to a new wood stocked rifle and keep looking at these but my concern is even with a good quality epoxy to hold them in place they might pull out at some point so dumping a lot of rifle and 'scope on the deck. Are my concerns unfounded?

My new 20 has a wide flat target forend. I am toying with the idea of putting some sort of swivel on it to allow the fitting of a Harris bipod when needed. At 14lbs already it is not envisaged as a carry rifle but occasions like the fox the other night make it a handy option.

The action and barrel have been lowered into the laminated walnut stock to further reduce stock tork and flex under fire. As a result the material under the barrel at the forend is now only about 12mm or so thick. Is this too thin to safely fit a front swivel without the risk of it cracking the fore end. material is laminated walnut.

Thanks for your thoughts.

A

Hi Alycidon,

The most convenient solution is to fit the Harris 2R 'Flange Nut'. This has a rectangular, concave reinforcing plate that is designed to fit inside barrel channels, inlet sufficiently to clear your barrel and epoxy in place for a belt and braces approach. If you do not regard this as strong enough then inletting an alloy bar into the barrel channel with a threaded hole for the swivel stud is your best bet. Hope this helps,

Alan

Archived