Shoot and c targets

shoppe

For various reasons I needed to check the zero on my 223 rifle up to 600 yards.  There was not an available range day at my local club.

I was going to visit my  game keeper pal to zero my rifle over the estate he works on.

I would buy some shoot and c type targets. The brand I bought were spattererburst. 

However, they did not work for me.

The black covering did not break up to reveal the yellow colour below. The shots were very very  hard to see even with the scope turned up to 60 mag. The holes seemed to seal up? 

Is this because it being a 223 , 77 grain smk? ( small bullet going fast) or this is not a suitable brand of target for this bullet?

Would the "shoot and c "brand have worked any  better?

Anyone had experience with these type of targets?

Many thanks

Shoppe

We've used the cheapo 8" type from Aliexpress with a 223 at 200 yds, with 73, 75, and 80 grain bullets, and they're fairly easy to see through an 8-32 scope if there's no mirage..

I plan to try them at 300 when it stops raining, but I think 600 would be pushing it. Might be OK with a larger calibre and a big birding scope, 80x?

Pete

Alan,  My target was NOTHING like that. Your above target is the same as I have seen when using my underlever 357 at 50 yards with birchwood targets.That is the type of result I was expecting to see.

I think with genuine birchwood targets I would be able to see the shots at 600 if they look like the above target.

I have a march highmaster scope .

My pal had his spotting scope with him but still could not make the actual "Splashs" as there was they were not there. I think his scope at a maximum magnification of about 40.

The Black coating on the targets I bought is very very thin compared with birchwood targets.

It is nothing  like  as "fragile" as the birchwood targets coating .

I think the plan going forward is to buy birchwood targets for the future.

Thank you both for your input

Shoppe

4 hours ago, shoppe said:

Alan,  My target was NOTHING like that. Your above target is the same as I have seen when using my underlever 357 at 50 yards with birchwood targets.That is the type of result I was expecting to see.

I think with genuine birchwood targets I would be able to see the shots at 600 if they look like the above target.

I have a march highmaster scope .

My pal had his spotting scope with him but still could not make the actual "Splashs" as there was they were not there. I think his scope at a maximum magnification of about 40.

The Black coating on the targets I bought is very very thin compared with birchwood targets.

It is nothing  like  as "fragile" as the birchwood targets coating .

I think the plan going forward is to buy birchwood targets for the future.

Thank you both for your input

Shoppe

I think sometimes the investment in more expensive stuff is needed and in the grand scheme of things it's worth the investment.

Alan