TRGs and AWs

• 1 month later...

IF the calibre is 308 based , I say get a AW or a PH M85 or M2008 based rifle, all run reliable double feed / double stack 10rd mags .

I feel in a mag feed bolt gun , the 10rd mag is the sweet spot , and prefer , double feed mags .

If you are after a magnum calibre , ie 300WM or 338LM , then the Sako TRGs are viable , as they run a smaller number of rds like the AWSMs ( 5rds ).

Having used Sako TRGs in 308 and 338LM , I like the magnum gun better than the 308 gun , the 338LM seemed to chamber rouns out of the mag easier and much smoother than the 308 version .

Having owned or played with , Surgeon SA in AICS , PH M85 , Sako TRG 21/22/41/42 , AW and AWSMs , and Timberwolf , Badger M2008.

In 308 cal , and if mag feed , then I would want 10rd capacity , and as such , would also want double feed for more reliable function , easier loading & shorter lenght ( size ) ,and as such , I would ONLY go , AW , M85 or Badger .

I do apreciate the much lighter weight of the Sako TRG21/22 , but am not totally happy with the 10rd single feed design , in terms of absolute reliable functioning , and YES before you ask , I have had misfeds and jamming with a 308 TRG-21 .

Later Chris

Or how about one of these, I have pestered Terry Cross for a release date to the public and it should be ready by late summer.

http://www.kmwlrs.com/sentinel_combat_stock.htm

Well that looks cock on to me, wonder how much the whole thing is or will be?

As much as i would love a TRG 22, this little lady is gotta be worth a look though sportsmans centre couldn't give me a price but thought they were about £2600 !!!! OUCH...

http://www.rpainternational.co.uk/intercep...ishot_rifle.asp

Streeker

RPAs get a few mentions in this thread from the end of Paragraph 5 onwards -worth a look: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=prototype

Chris,

Thanks for the ideas; the original premise of my question was based on already having an AW, but being ashamed to find that I like the ergonomics of the TRG22. ...trying to think of an analogy; a bit like having a Land Cruiser but hankering after a Suzuki ;)

Standby.... :blush:

As a 'by the by'; I believe Barnard may be doing an aftermarket AW trigger. Anyone using one?

HI Brown dog ,

I KNOW what you mean , about the Ergos of the Sako TRGs , I owned my TRG-21 for well over 12yrs , and simply love the lite weight and the way they fit and suite prone and firing from other posn's .

BUT if you want something like the TRG type stock , but also like the AW type action/mag design .

Maybe the perfect rifle for you is a Blend of these , via custom build .

What I would DO , would be to drop a Badger M2008 action with a TRG or M85 or shortened std AW profile barrel , of Your ideal lenght , into a McMillan " McHale " stock ( with is the stock mounted on the Ph M85s ) , and I would crop a few inches OFF the foreend , run AW mags thu it , and a badger or surgeon bottom metal or a custon design , and call IT a day , perfect .

Later Chris

Dont mention M2008's to BD

sends him wild :ph34r::lol::lol:

AI copy's you see :D

Dont mention M2008's to BD

sends him wild :lol::lol::D

AI copy's you see :D

I'm just misunderstood :D

I like the look of the badger (for obvious reasons!) but lose the plot a bit when someone puts it into an AICS. :ph34r:B)

As regards a badger in A.N.Other stock ...could be a way to go. Does the badger use AICS mags or AW mags? (hoping for the answer 'AW'!)

Does anyone bring badger actions into UK?

Chris,

Thanks for the ideas; the original premise of my question was based on already having an AW, but being ashamed to find that I like the ergonomics of the TRG22. ...trying to think of an analogy; a bit like having a Land Cruiser but hankering after a Suzuki :lol:

Standby.... :ph34r:

Tsk, as a Volvo driver you really should stay away from the car analogies ! :lol:

Oddly the B&C Medalist stock is the closest I have seen in profile to the TRG but not having handled one I can't comment on the quality, ergos, rigidity etc.

TC

bc_2094.jpg

sakoTRG42.jpg

Happen to have a B&C tactical stock here (just like the one in the pic) , it looks and feels very nice, complete with ally integral rail - should be as good as Mcmillan.

Unsure if they inlett the stock for a flat bottomed Badger though, stock has oversize recoil pad that doesnt look right look at picture above to see what I mean.

Also the B&C has a deep well by the pistol grip that may look odd when bottom metal / trigger guard is fitted - again just my own perceptions..

Who brings Badgers in - well you can, just need a letter from BERR that will say you may import for personal application providing you have authority to possess (on your FAC), and a copy of said FAC sent to you "middle man" in the US who will arrange export licence.

Pay for the application fee, wasnt expensive when I did it two years ago.

Pay for you action and get Badger to send to your "man", when export licence issued - 6-8 weeks, they will then ship to UK - you get letter from UK Customs that a package has arrived and you need to show authority to possess (your FAC) and pay duty.

Once paperwork satisfactory they will send it to you - you get is signed onto your FAC by an RFD.

Job done.

Well it was reasonably easy when I did it...

Tsk, as a Volvo driver you really should stay away from the car analogies ! :ph34r:

Oddly the B&C Medalist stock is the closest I have seen in profile to the TRG but not having handled one I can't comment on the quality, ergos, rigidity etc.

TC

189,000 miles and going strong :lol: I handled the B&C stocks a while back; they must be copies of the TRG; very comfy, but struck me as very heavy -much heavier, from memory, than a standard A5.

just need a letter from BERR that will say you may import for personal application providing you have authority to possess (on your FAC), and a copy of said FAC sent to you "middle man" in the US who will arrange export licence.

Pay for the application fee, wasnt expensive when I did it two years ago.

Pay for you action and get Badger to send to your "man", when export licence issued - 6-8 weeks, they will then ship to UK - you get letter from UK Customs that a package has arrived and you need to show authority to possess (your FAC) and pay duty.

Once paperwork satisfactory they will send it to you - you get is signed onto your FAC by an RFD.

Job done. Well it was reasonably easy when I did it...

Easy? Easy? Fick mein alte stiefel; that sounds like a 'king nightmare :lol: It's taken me 6 months and 4 letters to get a £15 refund from customs (coventry) had to raise a formal complaint before anyone actually read my letters -I'm not even touching firearms importation!

Hi Brown Dog ,

The SA version of the M2008 , can use either the AICS or the AW mag , but not both at the same time , as they require slightly different lenghts of magazine catch , so you can set IT up to run either , one or the other , I like to stay with the std AW 10rd mag for 308 type cals .

But do understand that , for the likes of the WSM or 6mmBR type cals the AICS may be the best choice .

The action runs any rem700 type trigger , so it has the std two pin layout .

The bolt head is similar to the AWSM bolt ( 6 lugs , in 3 rows ) and not the AW 3 lugs layout .

Uses a breeching/locking ring like the AW , sandwiched between the action and barrel .

Later Chris

P.S. The new rem looks very interesting , however IT may be very hard to get , even IF the US allows it out .

Looked real interesting right up to the accuracy statement....moa on matchgrade ammo

But that would be good for a Remington; wouldn't it? :wacko:

In seriousness though, is there other data tied to that statement; such as 1 MOA at 1000yds or 1 MOA after 5000rds?

I've got a feeling AI only guarantee 1 MOA nowadays -but I've yet to handle one that doesn't do 0.2 to 0.4 MOA.

AI's old guarantees included round counts and ammo types. The AWP used to be guaranteed to 0.34 MOA at 100m for the first 5000rds (and let's face it, to GUARANTEE that, you've got to produce rifles where the WORST are 0.34MOA -ie the bulk will be significantly better

-eg mine can do 0.2 with lapua factory in a pipe range)

The rifles haven't changed, I suspect that they're just calming the expectations of untutored customers.

moa to 1300 in .338 with match ammo

Thought there'd be a range tied to that MOA guarantee :wacko:

A guarantee of 1 MOA at 1300 with factory ammo is actually rather stunning. :lol:

Archived