TRGs and AWs

Hypothetical situation:

Dyed in the wool AW user has a crack with a TRG.

Surprised to find he likes the whole TRG thing -stock comfier -gun lighter -removable butt (for travel) etc

...and starts wondering 'what if':

What if I (er; 'he') swapped/ pxed an AW with all bits (6 mags, bipod, 34mm scope mount, T8) for a green TRG with all similar bits.

Where would the balance of costs lie?

AWs seem to be expensive but with reasonably priced accessories;

TRGs seem to be cheaper, but with insanely priced accessories.

..and, of course, the mental problem for an AW snob: the TRG isn't an AW ;)

Grateful for any comparative thoughts from TRG and AW users :D

[TC, this is your fault!]

I do believe hell has just frozen over.

BD, the vast concensus here is the TRG is good for plod use but there are better, including AI. As an example URNA here (plod elite) use SIG 3000 SSG in preference. - after slow speed vid of the TRG stock flexing in different direction when fired - two piece stock clamped on. I and others have broken the ears on the stock as well (though Sako replaced it free of charge and included a load of extras).......not sure said individual would appreciate it on a highland stalk.

Barrel TRG - hammer forged - possible cold bore shot can be errant, seen some that are and many that are not.

TRG bipod, broke 2 here, replaced with Harris - although a nice idea (over barrel pivoting, not beefy).

All that said the Folding stock TRG22 with 20" barrel looks very nice and compact. If going light it may as well be short.

Fixed stocks green is said to be slightly heavier than black, not sure why - different fill density.

Remind me when your over to give you the TRG user manuals - a lot of detail in them.

and..............I know I'm flogging my AWSM but it's being replaced with an AW50.

[TC, this is your fault!]

I have no recollection of said event Your Honour........... (I do remember the bloody hangover however)

If I was taking a rifle where my life or others depended on it then it would be the AW as the proven platform. The AW is clearly also the more aspirational purchase of the two and seems to depreciate less if the advertised values I have seen turn in to sales.

I picked up my TRG when I got back in to shooting a year or so ago and it was in the back of my mind to upgrade it to an AW at some point. Having shot both (I've even shot a couple of AW's NOT covered in tape and smelling like a wet dog ;) ) I doubt I will change now unless something evolves dramatically in my shooting to necessitate a bomb proof platform. Seeing you guys shoot there is clearly some value in a common shared system between partners but getting load data to synch should not be insurmountable ?

I picked up my TRG (700 rds old) with a single mag, brake, S5 mod, 20 MOA rail and TRG bipod for around £1400. I know I got a good deal but I have seen a couple change hands since at similar prices, there have been a couple on here at around the same mark. Mags are £100+ (hence my trying the AI mag...) which if you need 6 is going to be a factor.

I saw a TRG42 with brake and single mag go for £1250 recently and that is a decisive element to me. My thinking is that I can have a .308 AND a .338 in an identical platform sharing the ludicrously expensive bipod with a reasonable supply of mags for both at < £3K. That's pretty compelling to me and I don't feel I am making any compromises based on my realistic use of the rifles.

You may feel you are compromising by changing - if so i'd say stay with the AW.

TC

As I sit on my balcony sipping a strawberry dachary "sundowner" wathing the Med whisk by at 17 knots, I say to myself,,

forget the TRG, get a Surgeon action, put it in an AICS or A5 / Manners T4a and have a custom jobbie built ;)

You know it makes sense :D

As I sit on my balcony sipping a strawberry dachary "sundowner" wathing the Med whisk by at 17 knots, I say to myself,,

forget the TRG, get a Surgeon action, put it in an AICS or A5 / Manners T4a and have a custom jobbie built :D

You know it makes sense ;)

My thoughts exactly - sold my AI and picking up my custom Surgeon/AICS tomorrow ;)

Phil

All,

Many thanks for the various thoughts.

"Cold Hammer Forged" don't you just hate those words when they're in the same phrase as the word "barrel" when talking about precision rifles?! :D ds1; good point! (esp on coldbore shot implications).

I guess the best TRG option would be 'buy a shot-out TRG and rebarrel with a border' ...or something along those lines!

Ronin & Pazazu ....I'm absolutely failing to understand "sell AW, buy A.N.Other action and put it in an AICS" ;):D

...that just makes one of those AW wannabee rifles doesn't it?! ;)

To me, the tempting part about the TRG is:

1. A wildly ergonomic and adjustable stock 2. A targety trigger 3. Light weight

The downside is the cold-hammer forged barrel and the robustness issues described by ds1.

Why would I get rid of a 0.25MOA battle-proven-design tractor of a rifle for an AICS and A.N.Other effete and unproven action?! :D More negatives than improvements to my mind....only thing that'd probably be improved is the trigger.

Now a Surgeon on a TRG stock clone could be an answer. Even better if it was a folder.

Is there a proven robust TRG stock clone?

As an aside and prompted from my previous thread. Would you consider a RPA Interceptor repeater???

Don't shoot the messenger!!

I am just considering an RPA vs AW purchase.

Maltbuck,

RPAs get a few mentions in this thread -worth a look: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=prototype

Been sitting back from this one?????

So i will only say a couple of things?????

AW :wub:

There you go!!! Now i will wait for incoming?????

All the best boys,,, Darrel

Darrel,

That's how I feel, but the TRG was just so comfortable...and light....I didn't want to like it; it just happened :D:)

Darrel,

That's how I feel, but the TRG was just so comfortable...and light....I didn't want to like it; it just happened :D:wub:

My as well go the whole hog BD, get yourself a TRG, paint it pink with cute fluffy kittens on the side :wub:

I have owned both (technically not the AW but the AICS with custom action(s)) I still have the AISC's.

The AICS is one of the rare British successes, it works and the yanks love em, can't be bad.

Every time I picked up my TRG I thought of ABBA ( the blonde one) and Volvo's (beige) OK I know it's a different country, same continent though.

Pick up a AW/AICS and think about bulldogs and Margret Thatcher.

As an aside and prompted from my previous thread. Would you consider a RPA Interceptor repeater???

Don't shoot the messenger!! I am just considering an RPA vs AW purchase.

Haha! What about an RPA in an AICS??

As DS knows (because he sold his RPA/AICS to me so he could get a hair-shirt AW) the RPA Quadlite action slots in nicely to the AICS stock making an all-British custom gun with top accuracy, perfect trigger and bomb-proof magazine system.

It's the way to go; you know it makes sense.

Cornishman

Hi Cornishman and BD

Thing is BD is kack handed, and as it happens RPA make a kack handed action and AI makes a kack handed AICS, new on Sporting Services website. So that could be an idea.

Other than that Sig 3000 is available as a lefty, but not sure if only the wood stock or available with the plastic Mc Millan stock.

Now if it were available,Tubb 2k SpecTac LR which was available as a lefty in very limited quantities would also fit the bill = take down stock, easy barrel change and should have the best ergonomics going. But it is not TRG money.

David.

Having duly slapped myself for ever suggesting the Surgeon in an AICS :rolleyes:

There are a FEW alternatives available as folders:

McCree - aluminium chassis, look uncomfortable and no plastic except for cheek "piece"

Brugger & Thomet designed ally chassis is about to be released that fits Rem 700 "clone" actions, this is a folder and is similar to the B&T APR chassis in looks.

Not sure of price of either.

Also Mac do a folder version of the A5 as special order (but that WILL be spendy)

If it were me, I would stick with the "hair shirt" sir!

:rolleyes: Some chortlingly great posts!

Yeah, it's a valid point that my TRG 'crush' is a bit whoopsie; nevertheless I got a bit lost with ds1's piece about preferring to shag bulldogs in the back of Volvos :lol: There's no banjo playing and slivowitz at this next comp is there?!

Kack handed- good memory! Left handed AICS? ...is there such a thing as a l/h surgeon action? Now that could make sense! (apologies Ronin! :lol: ) ...but still heavy I would think, and not as ergonomic as the TRG stock ...does anyone do a TRG knock off stock?

McRee -is that the Timberwolf stock?

McRee -is that the Timberwolf stock?

Just googled McCree, looks to be a Timberwolf - after a beating with the Fugly stick :rolleyes: .

http://www.nwcustomparts.com/mcree/mcree.html

Who makes the Timberwolf stock (shown below)? (Might push the right buttons, but I imagine it'll be seriously pricey!):

P1010020internet.jpg

Just googled McCree, looks to be a Timberwolf - after a beating with the Fugly stick :rolleyes: .

Who makes the Timberwolf stock (shown below)? (Might push the right buttons, but I imagine it'll be seriously pricey!):

P1010020internet.jpg

Brake looks a little wonky. Very avant-garde.

Archived