Tips for getting blood out of carpets

Oly

A lass at work has cats who kindly brought and gutted two rabbits on her nicely (rented) cream carpets. She has tried all sorts and now its a couple of weeks on and is still nicely stained...surely a few guys on here must have had slip ups ending up in the same result - any ideas/known remedies?

Cheers,

Oly.

Accidents happen everyday, especially if you have children. And sometimes it means getting a blood stain on your carpet. From a scraped knee to a bloody nose, sometimes this type of stain can't be helped. Unfortunately, blood is made up of iron and proteins, and it's one of the most difficult stains to remove.

If you get even a drop of blood on your carpet, you should clean it up right away. That's one of the secrets of removing it. Fresh blood is easier to clean up as opposed to set in stains. Another secret is, never, ever use hot water on a blood stain. Hot water actually sets the stain instead of helping to remove it.

window.google_render_ad(); So how do you remove blood from carpet? There are several ways that can work successfully, so let's take a look at the best ideas:

1. Saturate the blood stain with cold tap water. Let it sit for a few minutes, then use clean, absorbent rags to blot it up. Do not wipe across it with the rag! Instead, take the rag and press it down on the stain. Then, lift the rag, fold it over and use a clean side. Repeat this process until all of the blood is gone.

Some people believe that using tonic water is even better than cold tap water for removing blood from a carpet or other fabric.

You can also saturate the blood with water, then, after waiting a few minutes, use a handheld extractor to suck the water and stain up. You can also use a wet/dry vacuum to do the job too.

If this doesn't remove all of the blood, you can try placing a little hydrogen peroxide on it. Allow it to bubble a few minutes, then blot it up with a clean, absorbent rag.

Hydrogen peroxide works like bleach in that it lightens hair, et cetera. However, since most solutions that you buy off a store shelf is only five percent strong, it probably won't lighten or otherwise harm your carpet.

2. You can also try blotting the fresh blood up with a clean rag or a sponge. Then, mix up a strong solution of one cup of cold tap water with one tablespoon of household ammonia. Beware! The ammonia fumes are strong and should not be inhaled! Spray the blood stain with the solution until it is saturated. Let the ammonia set for a few minutes, then use a second clean rag to blot up the liquid along with the stain.

3. Spray or pour some prewash laundry cleaner on the blood stain. Rub it into the stain well by using your finger. Let it set for a few minutes, then use an old sponge to lightly scrub the blood. (Never use a brush as it can break up the carpet fibers!) Then, saturate the area with cold tap water. Use a clean, absorbent rag to blot the prewash cleaner, water, and blood stain up.

There are also many types of carpet cleaner on the market today that you can try. Usually, though, they are designed only to clean up light to moderate dirt and grime from your carpet. They are not generally designed to clean up tough stains such as blood.

Before you spend your money on a carpet cleaner, be sure that you read the label to find out what it does and does not do.

Vanish powder, one scoop mixed with enough water to make a loose slurry. The sooner the better.

The first time I clipped the dog's nails I went too deep on one. She ran around the house before I realized it was bleeding and left spots all over the cream carpet. Of course it was a rental.

Thanks

Rick

I had just bought a new house with cream carpets throughout (wifes Idea).

I had been out stalking and shot an animal. I always give the dogs a bit of heart each as a reward so they are always keen to find the animal for me. The little chancers had licked up a load of blood when I had been loading the animal in to the car and they had scoffed the liver between them!! I knew nothing of this at the time. When I returned to the house, I let the dogs in the back door. I was doing my post stalk admin when I heard a shreik from the living room; both dogs had ran in and puked blood in the carpet mixed with heart liver and dog dinner. It was disgusting, I have a fairly strong stumach and have graloched loads of deer and some with messy green graloch but this had my dry retching!!

Any way I cleared up the pile with kitchen roll then got the vax on the job, I soaked the carpet in vanish for 20 mins then scrubed up. good as new not even a mark. We only been in the house 18 months and already the carpets are getting changed for harder wearing surfaces where the dogs tend to go. cream carpets indeed???????????????????

Dave

We have a product available over here called Resolve.

Mainly,its used for taken out pet soil spots in carpets.

but it works wonders with blood,the the fresher the better.

I had a deer bleed thru the tarp we layed down.

Soaked the spot and blot it with a rag and,repeat if needed.

Most cases 2 treatments is all thats needed.

308Panther

Panther,

Vanish and Resolve are the same. I don't think you have the powder tubs of resolve like we have of vanish here, but everything else is the same in the line. The dual bottle works too (both vanish and resolve) and is in liquid form already, though for small spots it is less effective because you need a good squeeze on the bottle to get both liquids to come out evenly. If you only have a quarter sized spot you'll use a bit more product than you need.

Thanks,

Rick

stainstick for lipstick. Lipstick is made up from various waxes and colorants which do not lend themselves to water based detergents. The stainsticks are much more 'oily' in their behavior and a good coating and sit will help immensely.

Dawn dishwashing detergent is pretty good on oily stains too.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived