Rifle choice, 22-250 or 223?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 1417 22lr and replacing it with a 22 c/f for deer. I'm looking at either a 223 or 22-250 but would like some advice from more experienced people that have used these calibers, or recomendations of any other suitable calibres. It's not going to be used for long range work, 200 yards will probably be my max. Mainly working under the lamp. Also my budget will be about £700 ish. I have a scope to go on the rifle but what rifle would be a good idea to go for? Any advice would be appreciated.

Alrite mate,

I had a tikka T3 in 22-250,

Sold it to fund another project, but it was a cracking setup

As for deer, your obviously on the north side of the border, and for roe the 22-250 had a far better ability to push the hevier .22 cal bullet heads, i always used 55gr SP and V-max which fortunatly shot to same point of aim, cant really comment on a 223 as ive never used one, the only advatage i can see with the 223 over the 22-250 is that it can be moderated to far greater extent that the 22-250 as it is a rather barky little round!

Hope this helps

Shrek

Or just get a 6BR, one calibre for everything :D

"Or just get a 6BR, one calibre for everything "

Thats true, it will take some beating.

I am in favour of the .223 though,

just because i have one, thats all.

it is well upto the job you want it to do,

long barrel life, superb to shoot, very light recoil,

If you chose one with a 1-9 twist barrel you can still shoot light bullets like 50Vmax etc for vermin

or go upto 75Amax or something in that weight, these realy work at good ranges,

thats what i am shooting in the videos i posted.

Sierra do a 65gn gameking bullet that would be a good choice for roe and would work with the 1-9 twist barrel.

I think most, if not all, 22,250 are 1-12 barrels ? so you would be limited to your bullet choice around the 50gn mark

but you will gain in velocity over the .223

I have a friend that shoots a CZ .223 that has a fast twist, they are cheap guns but shoot very well

his will shoot a 5 shot group in a .5" all day, every day.

john.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say that the rifle would be used on foxes on the ground where I shoot plus the occasional muntjac or CWD if I ever get the chance. I also fancy the look of some of the long range bunny shooting, but I don't think my skills will be up to that kind of distance.

I have had both, didn't like the 22.250 it's loud, harsh on the barrel and although its a screamer does nothing the .223 will do :D

The .223 is easier to moderate, just as effective on fox, deer and anything else you point it at, uses no where near as much powder per bang.

my humble opinion is a .223 every time

cheers

GB

If your rifle/scope is upto the job then so are you, its all about learning and listening to people,

see what they are doing, and if you dont know just ask,

we have all been there.

I am going out this eve with my mate even though its about a 25mph wind up on the moors,

we will learn alot this eve about wind drift.

john

A 223 is a big jump from a 22lr, and is plenty for fox or bunny.

For deer of any sort the 22-250 is the better choice. It does have way more oomph.

The 1in14 twist of a 22-250 is not a real problem, it'll take 55gr and mostly 60gr.

I had a howa sporter 22-250 which shot very well for little money. Shot anything up to sika.

Had a CZ 223 varmint before that and was also happy just I kept fox under 300yds.

22-250 offers 100yds more.

edi

22-250 every time, just as accurate as the 223, better velocity will digest heavier bullets (with right barrel twist) and if we are being realistic, its no noisier than any other centerfire...

I had a Tikka Continental Model 55 .22-250 with which I shot many Sika and some Reds and Hybrids when Southern Irish law only permitted .22cf cals.

It had a one-in-twelve twist which liked the 60gr Hornady SP bullet but was not as accurate with the 70gr Speer .

The .22-250 has far more terminal energy and a flatter trajectory than the .223 and can utilise a heavier bullet more suited to the job in mind .

HWH.

Hi stagg ,

Sorry to go off on a tangent , but the 5.6-57 sounds a sweetie , running the 72 grainer if i remember right!!!

Heard the necks are quite thick with brass so not sure what they are like for reloading!!!

All the best.............

RAY........................... :D :D

Greenbear

I have had both, didn't like the 22.250 it's loud, harsh on the barrel and although its a screamer does nothing the .223 will do

The .223 is easier to moderate, just as effective on fox, deer and anything else you point it at, uses no where near as much powder per bang.

my humble opinion is a .223 every time

cheers

GB

Ditto. 223 all the way for me too. 22.250 overrated IMO

Thanks for all the replies, I know the 223 / 22-250 is a big jump up from the 22lr, I normally would use my 6.5x55 for foxes but fancied something a bit lighter weight for foxing / having a go at some long range magpies/rabbits. I've been looking on guntrader / gunroom and have seen some very reasonably priced secondhand 22-250's and 223's. In peoples opinions would it be best to stay away from these rifles secondhand incase they are shot out? Or would it be ok as long as I can testfire it first to check grouping etc before parting with my cash?

Hi Ray.

In those Irish 20 years of .22cfs I used .22-250 , 5.7X57 and 5.6X61 Vom Hofe Super Express rifles .

Of these the Vom Hofe was the best with a muzzle energy similar to that of a 7X57 Mauser .

It fired a 77gr bullet designed for shooting Roe and Chamois not small furry and feathered vermin like the .223 .

Happy days long gone !

The neck brass of the 5.6X57 was very thick as you say , I used to think it was made from 7X57 stock .

The 5.6X61 VHSE was a doddle to re-load but the brass was difficult to source as were the bullets which were .228 and not .224 as in the .22-250 and 5.6X57 cartridges .

HWH.

I've rifles in both calibres. The 223 is for lamping where shots are usually below 150 yds, the 22-250 is my day rifle for anything up to 500 (I should be so lucky to hit anything at that distance). FWIW my opinion is that if you believe your shots are going to be under 200, then 223 is the way to go. Cheaper ammo, less noise and not heavy. I have a CZ 527 American with a T4AR mod, not an expensive setup and shoots as well as I can hold - I'm very happy with it.

Although I choose to use bigger stuff, the .223 should be fine for small deer up to 200yds. I've only shot 3 or 4 reds with my kids' one but used some 64gr bulk Win SP's my US mate sent over and they did the trick easily. They were definitely stabilised in the std twist Rem barrel.

Chris-NZ

hi millwall paul,

if a 6.5 55 is your usual fox and deer gun the 223 would be your better option imho as the 22 250 is mimicking what you all ready have but in a smaller calabier if you reload you can make your 6.5 very accurate and usefull with some lighter bullets. and the 223 could come into play on some long range small vermin or carrion very effectively using 40 to 50 grain bullets these are my usual fox shooting weights as well for my 223. using standard twists should be good up to sixty grains and fast twist as heavy as you can buy if you reload then even more options and fun can be had.

as for buying second hand 22 250 are barrel burners so may be limited life left in the barrel cost to bear in mind as for 223 huge life expectance so should nt expect to many un expected costs down the line .

as for accuracy the 223 will do anything the 22 250 will albeit 100 yds shorter ,with good home loading even that will become no distance at all , but then the 22 250 wont do anything your 6.5 wont do so dont worry about it at the uk varmint shoot the other week three lads who had never fired a center fire rifle before yet alone at a three hundred yard target where putting rounds into a six inch circle and some into the 8 and 9 rings with my cz 601 223 and some pmc 53 grain match ammo . imho the 223 falls in line better with your aims as a small caliber your 6,5 inthe middle of the caliber spread and then you just want a thirty cal to finish the line up really.

graham.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 1417 22lr and replacing it with a 22 c/f for deer. I'm looking at either a 223 or 22-250 but would like some advice from more experienced people that have used these calibers, or recomendations of any other suitable calibres. It's not going to be used for long range work, 200 yards will probably be my max. Mainly working under the lamp. Also my budget will be about £700 ish. I have a scope to go on the rifle but what rifle would be a good idea to go for? Any advice would be appreciated.

MP, I take it that you will be shooting/stalking munties or CWD in England, or stalking in Scotland as anything else would get you it deep doodoo with a .22cf ? Also you are not allowed to lamp deer, unless you have a license.

If you do want to stalk with it, i would plump for the .223 if its for roe, it's ideal. Far lighter, less noisy and cheaper to run.

ft

I have used both cals but now only have the 22-250 it not only out reaches the 223 but as it will shoot heavier bullets at the same or higher velocities it bucks the wind far better than the 223. I have shot the 223 with its optimum 50gr Vmax bullet in a mild crosswind and the 22-250 with the 55gr Vmax, there was nearly 4 inches less wind drift at 200yds with the 22-250, as others have said it will also shoot the 60gr which is even better and still beats the 223 on velocity with the 50gr. Like most cals the 22-250 will last a s well as any, if you stoke it up to the absolute limit yes the barrel will eventually go but so will the 223 if you do that to it. My 22-250 Rem 700vssf is now 11yrs old and has shot a lot of foxes etc and is still in the .5"s at 100yds nor is the throat toasted, but I use a less than max load of Varget under , normally a 55gr Vmax which still gives 3450fps and great accuracy, there is nothing in it for noise with either cal. The 222 is better if you want quiet and exeptional accuracy and barrel life, but it is a bit marginal on deer in my opinion particularly Muntjac which are tough little beggars and can run a fair way even when shot with a 270, but I have had good success on Roe in scotland with it.

The choice is yours, just look for a well looked after rifle with perhaps lower round count and a guarantee on it, but barrels like cartridge brass are consumables and eventually have to be replaced whatever the particular cartridge you use.

Redfox

"Or just get a 6BR, one calibre for everything "

Sierra do a 65gn gameking bullet that would be a good choice for roe and would work with the 1-9 twist barrel.

Are you sure?, 85 grain I think is the smallest, if they do a 65 I would use them as well.

A

22-250 for me :D why not a 22br or 6br ..buy once cry once ..i shot the .223 for five years and the 22-250 is far better to shoot ..better all round rifle ..its the same bullet but with more legs

I might be mistaken (proberbly am) but have you got a larger cal already passed for deer?????????

I think they are only allowing 22cf on c/w & munt if you allready have a larger cal passed for deer ie: you've owned say a 308 for deer stalking.

it is my understanding that this condition is because they didnt want thousands and thousands of licences sent in for the deer condition on 22cf when they didnt have any experience of deer stalking and also figured that people with only 22cf on their ticket are likely to not stop at only shooting c/f and munties

could be wrong though but first check with your local dept and perhaps basc

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I already have 2 rifles passed for deer in the UK. I have a 30-06 for deer and African game, a 6.5x55 for deer and ground game. I'm just after a smaller rifle for prodominantly foxing, but also like the idea of trying longe range bunny bashing. I'm still leaning toward the 22-250 as I like the idea of having more power than I would require, but also like the idea of the longer barrell life and cheaper reloading options of the 223. So am still undecided. I'll have to pop to the gunshops by me and see what they'll give me for part exchange on the Anschutz 1417 22lr which might sway my decision on what rifle I finally get.

Archived