Recommendations Required: 85-87gn bullet heads for .243Win

Oly

As per the above - recommendations are required for 85-87gn bullet heads for my .243Win

I've heard some very good stuff about Game Kings but I am having problems finding some locally - so all brands considered. As per the Game Kings - ideally I would like one good all round bullet head (which may be impossible I know!!).

Thanks in advance,

Oly.

What about Speer 1213 85grn BTSP. I find they perform well.

I use Varget powder and CCI large rifle primers.

I havent used Vmax in 243 but do use them in 223 and they are excellent as the previous poster stated.

Cheers

Eddie

Cheers guys, keep 'em coming!!

PS - anyone know what Hornady's 85gn Interbond is designed for? Seems like they have the V-Max for ballistic tip and sp for larger game - so what gap is the interbond designed for...or is that a 'do everything' round?

Searched the websites I know and came up with the below...anything to add??

Speer 1213 85gn BTSP

Hornady 85gn Interbond BT

Hornady 87gn V-Max BT

Hornady 87gn SP

Hornady 87gn HPBT

Nosler 85gn Partition Splitzer

Sierra 85gn GameKing HPBT 1530

Sierra 85gn Varminter SPT 1520

Barnes 85gn TSX BT

Interbonds are hornadays premium bonded bullets, very good for deer etc but expensive, i was using these in my 7mag.

I use 87gr vmax but only for neck shooting deer. i have 100gr gamekings which shoot the same point of aim as the 87gr out to 600yards.

The vmax blow mr charlie to peices whereas the gamekings just punch a hole through, both work very well.

I use imr4350.

The 87gr V-max and the Hollow point shoot to the same point of aim with my 6BR, no reason why it shouldnt be the same in 243, however both are very good bullets, as for an alround bullet either or will and have killed cleanly, deer and fox , some poeple dont like shooting deer with V-max fair enough, but then a hollow point will still kill a fox, we dont all need to go hitting them with things that make em go splat!!

Interesting thread,but,what are people using to shoot Deer(Roe/Muntjac)with?

Martin.

usin soft points at the mo, kills em but if you dont get em bang right they skip on for a few yards till they drop. this is usually fine but not ideal at last light on a very thick tangly wood, which they invariably head for. can be nightmare to find even tho they are only a few yards away. what i could do with is something that hits a bit harder but not as bad as a vmax. bit wary incase hits a bone and wounds. was toying with idea of gamekings hpbt 85g, anybody had any experience?

cheers

i have had great sucess with the 85gr hpbt gameking in my .243 i have found this the most accurate bullet i have reloaded , i have taken a few fallow deer with them and on H/L shots the deer just drop to the shot , on gralloching the deer everything in the chest was jellyified . i have taken foxes and rabbits with these bullets its a great little all round bullet ......neil

hi guys,

well the two loads in my previous post in this thread have been used on all i shoot with my 243 rabbits fox and roe deer all shot and killed cleanly bunnies not much left usable unless head shot roe deer not much damage with the vmax or blitz king. but shot my first muntie buck at the weekend nice heart lung shot dropped on the spot so really pleased with that not much external damage but had really made a mess inside once it was dressed and skinned lot more damage than in roe deer i have shot so toying with trying some softpoint of whatever is about locally as a comparsion.

was it the vmax or is it because munties are tough little blitters they do eat nice though.

graham.

i have had great sucess with the 85gr hpbt gameking in my .243 i have found this the most accurate bullet i have reloaded , i have taken a few fallow deer with them and on H/L shots the deer just drop to the shot , on gralloching the deer everything in the chest was jellyified . i have taken foxes and rabbits with these bullets its a great little all round bullet ......neil

yeah, sounds like this might do, out of interest, did they exit and how far away? cheers mate

Roeboy

sorry a late in replying close range shots 40-70m no exit ,100m-150m some exit depends if striking ribs ,150m-200m most exit (nice exit wound)hope this helps ....neil

cheers, that is just what i wanted to hear, right then ill go get some!!

cheers

.243 win bullet choice.

i use hornady 100gr interlock a soft point flatbase "standard" bullet (2450). i have used this on all deer. I also have used hornadies 87gr psp on roe again an excellant bullet. as is noslers 95gr partition. even with a 100 gr bullet the .243 is a flat shooting round (relatively speaking in my opinion). a good friend of mine recomends speers 90 gr hotcor bullet. I have to say that i have used hotcor bullets in the past and they are excellant performers on game.

i think it depends a bit on your rifle. if you benefit from a longer barrel then you can get top velocities from 100 gr bullets. if you have a shorter barrel then maybe the 85-90s with faster powder might be best.

too be dead honest my rifle has an 18 inch barrel and i think i would probably struggle to get 100 gr loads legal. but for fairly short range stuff this would be deadly enough (if i chose to use it for deer....... legal disclaimer attached)

I used my .243 for foxing with 80 gr prohunters. it was like mustard on fox. it has gone away on loan to my cousin now, he is using the 100 gr bullets. i think next time we load for it it will be with the 90's

swampy

Guest martin
hi guys,

well the two loads in my previous post in this thread have been used on all i shoot with my 243 rabbits fox and roe deer all shot and killed cleanly bunnies not much left usable unless head shot roe deer not much damage with the vmax or blitz king. but shot my first muntie buck at the weekend nice heart lung shot dropped on the spot so really pleased with that not much external damage but had really made a mess inside once it was dressed and skinned lot more damage than in roe deer i have shot so toying with trying some softpoint of whatever is about locally as a comparsion.

was it the vmax or is it because munties are tough little blitters they do eat nice though.

graham.

Hi Graham,the muntjac are very tough little things mate,and,I shoot them with 100gn soft points,and,they usually drop to the shot(some may skitter off a few yds)and,there isn't too much meat damage either.I am going to be trying some 87gn soft points soon though,so I will let you know how I get on mate..............Martin.

Sierra 85grn SP, for me it has killed eveything from rabbits to reds, it says varminter on the box lid but I generally find most brands of 6mm bullets tend to thicken the base of the jackets up after 80grns so don't get issues with underpenetration that can occur at times when heavy bone is contacted as in H/L

shots. I'm not attempting to begin a debate on the merits of 70grn bullets on deer as I've shot my share with them, I just tend to find 85grns a better allrounder.

Pete.

Menial what serial number are they ?

It says on the end of the box, 6mm .243 dia, 85gr. spitzer and the number is 1520. On the top of the box it says Sierra varminter but it's turned out to be the best deer round I've used in the .243 to date. Cheap enough at around £18 a 100 to plink with as well. Hope this is the number you require, the other numbers on the box are next to bar codes.

Pete.

Cheers Pete, yes that's the number I was after.

The local stockist is expecting a delivery soon?????????? or maybe the week after???????? then next week maybe.... so I will keep an eye out for them.

Cheers Pete, yes that's the number I was after.

The local stockist is expecting a delivery soon?????????? or maybe the week after???????? then next week maybe.... so I will keep an eye out for them.

i bobbed into Henry Kranks the other day. These are the main uk sierra importer and they have NO 6mm bullets and because of demand from middle east/ obama panic buying we (UK) are bottom of thier list, kranks have been waiting for months

roeboy

Archived