Short barrel hunting rifle

Craigmcwill

Hi guys,

I currently use a 24" tikka in 6.5 creedmoor for all my stalking. It sometimes is far too long and a pain in the ass 🤣.

Thinking of saving up and getting something a little lighter and more handy.

Just looking for ideas what you guys all think?

My initial thoughts was to get a 308 in around a 20" barrel or so. Then put it in something like a pse stock.

I also like the looks of the sig cross as its extremely light and has good adjustability in the butt.

A adjustable comb is a must too.

Any good ideas guys? Also anyone with experience on these particular kinds of rifles just so I can do some research for a while before jumping in.

All input is appreciated guys 👍

I have a Fix by Q. Essentially the rifle Sig copied when making the Cross. 

I have 24 and 20” 6.5 creedmoor barrels and a 16” .308 barrel for it. It’s been wearing the 16” barrel predominantly because the short length is so handy. 

It’s a completely different experience to a traditional stocked rifle. It’s not a. Range rifle in the slightest and what I would describe as a utility rifle. 

If I only had one rifle it would probably be a Tikka T3 in PSE stock and an 18” 6.5 creedmoor barrel. I love short barrels.  

Be realistic with yourself. If you only shoot on a range a couple of times a year and mostly out deer stalking at normal ranges lets say <300m you won’t notice the difference In performance by just lopping  off 6” of barrel. 

The creedmoor will out perform the .308 and you won’t have to think about buying .30 cal bullets and brass on top of the. Creedmoor you already have. 

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

If I only had one rifle it would probably be a Tikka T3 in PSE stock and an 18” 6.5 creedmoor barrel. I love short barrels.  

So few people are willing to go this short but I agree with you.

20" is by far the most common 'short' length barrel I do most of the time.

Coincidently I have a T3 in the workshop now thats getting an 18" 7mm-08 barrel and is destined for a PSE stock.

I’ve had an 18” 308 for the past 6-7 years, it works really well. I also have a 20” 6.5 Creedmoor that is an exceptional performer. Both are hunting guns and easy handling, I did put an MDT HNT26 chassis on which was a massive improvement in handling, weight and recoil.

8300AB2E-9FC1-4BF0-9D39-97FC5EC1F5DC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Craigmcwill said:

Would there be much difference in the killing potential of a 20" 308 compared to a 16"? It will more than likely be all roe and within 300 yards too 

.308 is one of the most tolerant and consistent for velocity drop in shorter barrels. You are looking at a 25fps loss per inch. 

I haven’t ever felt the need to chrono my 16” .308 as I only use that setup for the woods and the longest shot I have needed to take was 150m. I use barnes TTSX 130gr bullets and it was a bang flop. 

I have just completely guessed the velocity for a 16” barrel and imagine I am gettinging higher velocities but through ballistics AE software that bullet at 300m @

2500fps 20.6” 1.8 mil 

2600fps 18.6” 1.6 mil

The bullet is still travelling at 1800fps @ 300m performance isn’t compromised. 

There is a Tikka T3 with border barrel currently advertised on the stalking directory with A-Tec mod for £600. A good buy in my book as the .308 lasts forever in terms of barrel life if it’s been looked after. 

308 18" barrel in an MDT HNT26 works for me.

I had a 26" 260 rem plus mod....way too long for comfort in the field as much as I prefer the 260 as a calibre.

I am using Hornady 165g SST as they were all that I could get at the time.

These are running at 2595 fps and are .5 moa or less.

I use N140 in a very long COAL of almost 2.9" which JUST fits in the MDT 3 round mag.

20230130_111146.jpg

20230130_111310.jpg

20230130_111139.jpg

49 minutes ago, DaveT said:

308 18" barrel in an MDT HNT26 works for me.

I had a 26" 260 rem plus mod....way too long for comfort in the field as much as I prefer the 260 as a calibre.

I am using Hornady 165g SST as they were all that I could get at the time.

These are running at 2595 fps and are .5 moa or less.

I use N140 in a very long COAL of almost 2.9" which JUST fits in the MDT 3 round mag.

20230130_111146.jpg

20230130_111310.jpg

20230130_111139.jpg

Dave I love what you have done with the surgeon. 

Those MDT stocks are nice. Just a shame they don’t fold over the bolt. It really lets them down for me. 

I’ve just ran the ballistic for the 165gr SST at 2600fps for 300m

16.6” 1.4 mil drop

Cheers Scotch

I have to love the folding stock.....  carry the rifle in a shorty bag which is SOOOO easy vs a dragbag!😁

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 8:05 PM, Craigmcwill said:

Hi guys,

I currently use a 24" tikka in 6.5 creedmoor for all my stalking. It sometimes is far too long and a pain in the ass 🤣.

Thinking of saving up and getting something a little lighter and more handy.

Just looking for ideas what you guys all think?

My initial thoughts was to get a 308 in around a 20" barrel or so. Then put it in something like a pse stock.

I also like the looks of the sig cross as its extremely light and has good adjustability in the butt.

A adjustable comb is a must too.

Any good ideas guys? Also anyone with experience on these particular kinds of rifles just so I can do some research for a while before jumping in.

All input is appreciated guys 👍

I got my .308 cut down to 16” plus moderator for deer. Nice compact package. Zero ballistics depreciation for the ranges of deer