Lots has been spoken about 6.5 Creedmore and there seem to be as many detractors as advocates of this oddly controversial calibre. I have just been through the agony of renewing my toy-ticket and asked them to add the 6.5CM to my wish list.

A good and knowledgeable friend considers them evil barrel burners with overly light projectiles, but with HME being frowned upon in so many quarters I wondered if having a less restricted rifle capable of distance would be advantageous. I have no money nor commitment other than the authority to buy one if my planned bank heist is successful 🤣 Were I to manage to get funds sufficient, without risking my freedom 🤣 and did decide to go down this root what suggestions do the panel have ?(as they used to say on Gardener’s Question Time; before the days of podcasts I used to listen to radio four in my printing workshop)🤣 I have a couple of Sabatti rifles that shoot way better then their pay grade, but when one wants to stick them in a lovely laminated stock it gets expensive- getting my .300WM stuck in a FormRifle stock cost me more than the original rifle (new). 

6.5mm Creedmore is easy to get quality brass, in SRP or LRP, plenty of good loading data available.  As far as "light bullets"  I shoot 144gr Berger hybrids that are brilliant out to 1200yds (not tried further as yet).  Hornady do an excellent heavier bullet too.

Also the advantage of 144/140gr is it keeps the MV down a little and have longer bearing surfaces so less barrel wear (I believe but happy to defer to wiser counsel).

I shoot .338LM at over 1500yds but consider it a waste of ammo/money under that distance when I can get such excellent results from my 6.5CM

There are of course other 6.5mm calibres that are excellent too (same bullets).  Don't overlook the 6.5x55 Swede,  in a modern action they're superb.

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

Will you stop making ridiculous suggestions. 

1600 for a creedmoor and 1200 for a .20 cal not appropriate rounds for these distances. 

Indeed

1 minute ago, gazzarM1 said:

Think he may have been extracting the Michael myself though he could have mentioned the ELR capabilities of 17 HMR

sort of a ranging gun for a .338 ?  😉

54 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

260 the way to go though it is not the commercial success that 6.5cm is purely in my book down to marketing or a lack thereof.

that's an opinion not sustained by real-world experience outside of F Class fashion of the week

Have owned a 260 for 15 years or more in various guises …many rounds gone down range bagged a few deer with it and nothing has convinced me to swap. 
Have rattled targets out to a lasered 1200 yds with 107 grain matchkings at Warcop witnessed by a current member of the F class team GB.

Not really an opinion…just solid evidence gained over many years and a good few thousand rounds

You are missing the point…I never dissed 6.5 cm as it is undoubtably a fine calibre .There is no doubt that good marketing has contributed largely to its success as in all the years I have owned the 260 I have only ever seen a couple of boxes of ammo on the shelf at a dealers .I bought one at such an exorbitant cost that I could only bring myself to  shoot 2 rounds off and the rest are still in the cupboard.If I-was going down the 6.5 route today I could well imagine a different outcome due to the availability…particularly as Lapua have just discontinued making 260 brass for the foreseeable future.

You could argue all day on ballistic differences as there is not a lot between them 

Do the markets not just respond to demand? 

I’m not sure marketing comes into it. I do think, however, fashion does.

I have a friend who is massively knowledgeable, but really doesn’t like 6.5CM and as such none of his friends use 6.5CM, except maybe me, if I can find a ‘perfect’ gun fit for me ie not to much money, very beautiful and accurate. Yeah, I hate plastic stocks.

His main concern seems to be barrel life, which given the cost of barrels is not unreasonable. 

Not certain whether marketing hype, the next Gucci calibre or availability was the key to it all.Hornady pushed it from the get go…Remington never seemed to bother as much.

I dare say it will happen again with another calibre…in the meantime does anybody know where I can get some new 260 brass? Need to stock up lol

33 minutes ago, Triffid said:

I've never heard the 6.5CM as a barrel burner before.

My RPR is a couple of thousand rounds to the good and still wearing the original factory barrel. It's been fed on diet of 140gn bullets at mid 2700 velocities.

I suppose I had better bore-scope it again.

Triffid

It was explained to me that it was as a result of the very high muzzle velocities, but 2700 is lower than I use with most of my rifles 🤔 

11 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

You are missing the point…I never dissed 6.5 cm as it is undoubtably a fine calibre .There is no doubt that good marketing has contributed largely to its success as in all the years I have owned the 260 I have only ever seen a couple of boxes of ammo on the shelf at a dealers .I bought one at such an exorbitant cost that I could only bring myself to  shoot 2 rounds off and the rest are still in the cupboard.If I-was going down the 6.5 route today I could well imagine a different outcome due to the availability…particularly as Lapua have just discontinued making 260 brass for the foreseeable future.

You could argue all day on ballistic differences as there is not a lot between them 

OK, clear to me now, thanks.