Fac air rifle shooters

Aggy

Hi guys bit of something different ,really enjoying the shooting these at the moment .

RAW HM1000x for those of you that remember Theoben this is the current evolution, .22   24 “ polygonal barrel shooting slugs at just under 1000 fps ,available in .22 , .25 ,.30 and 357 goes upto 220 ftlb 

and the Mk2 fx impact also in .22 turned down to sub 1000 fps but will go supersonic and 65 ftlb also available in .25 .30 

both very tuneable  both very accurate 

120F8341-8B81-491F-AA3B-D0F2759E0C6B.jpeg

877C1104-D018-4F92-8F91-2690F05A1057.jpeg

298DBD3A-EAF1-4FA1-8F8D-F4B822CE1F5A.jpeg

9A6C1CDA-94AB-4181-9528-756910242E65.jpeg

Aggy, thank you, I think that’s an amazing rifle. However, I must admit that I have never quite ‘got’ FAC air rifles. If one is going to go to the trouble of obtaining an FAC, what advantages does an air rifle confer over a rimfire?

if you take something like this 22 Henry lever action: this will hold 16 rounds of 22 Short, each delivering about 70 ft lbs. It weighs something like 6 lbs; handles like a magic wand; holds minute-of-bunny head comfortably at 50 yards; is almost silent when fitted with a moderator; and can be picked up for around £700. What am I missing?

C16449D8-6495-40F5-8C37-ABD9041939DB.jpeg

Powder burners rimfire or otherwise are much much cheaper but they also have there drawbacks .

with my impact I could go down to 12 ftlb in .22 and with the same gun go to a max with mine of about 70 ftlb , I can swap the calibre to my .30 cal and still shoot 60 grain slugs at over 110 ftlb , I can’t shoot to great distance but some are pushing them to 300 yard , and if you want to reall push them there are guns that will shoot 400 plus grain slugs still over 1000 fps .

the thing about air is I can do all the work with the set up and shot to stop consistently is within 5 fps ,rimfire ammo isn’t that good 

That does make sense. The same flexibility also exists to a degree with rimfire. You can go from CB Longs at ~10 ft lbs, all the way up to CCI Stingers at ~140 ft lbs. But maybe not with the same fantastic consistency as you are getting.

It can be a pain in the ass trying to chase the best tune ,things I can tune 

twist rate on barrel liner two or three variations in each but the large calibres 

barrel lengths 500 ,600,700and 800 mm

regulator pressure 

hammer weight 

hammer spring rate 

micro adjustment on the hammer spring 

16 steps of hammer preload after that 

transfer port shape and size 

valve return spring rate 

valve return spring preload to alter projectile timing .

all have to be in balance,  basically decide what you want to shoot and at what speed the you can adjust everything, a chronograph is essential.

barrel harmonics play a huge part in the whole set up too .

One big thing with PCPs is improved neighbourly relations if you live on small blocks. My neighbours are unaware I'm using the PCP but even the quietest rimfire round is usually detectable to them. I can be knocking over pest birds and bunnies without them being concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

A 32 ft lb CB Long is also safe around habitation. You have to compare apples with apples. One of the joys of a tube magazine rimfire is that it will feed pretty much any length of ammunition.

I am certainly not dissing FAC airguns. Choice is good and the engineering shown above is amazing. I’m just pointing out that there are other options available.

To be honest mk1 mk2 and mk3 all all belting guns 

I have a sub 12 mk1  silly amount of shots 

a fac mk2 quite a few choice bits fac .22 700 mm barrel 600 mm .30 barrel and just ordered a .25 700 mm barrel 

for all out power the fx wins at the moment 

but my fac RAW is a lovely insanity accurate gun to shoot 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a .30 cal FX Bobcat, its really good been using it helping a mate with his pest control business, we are doing a College sports ground where its a built up area, people walking Dogs etc, but with a silenced air rifle ,no one knows your there.

I also have a Modified Rapid mk2 in .20 and its the most accurate air rifle I've used. I have 22LR when I need it, but there is something about an Air rifle. Quite fancy getting a Mk3 Impact

The mk3 is a fantastic tool but there are reliability reports problems with leaks ect , my mk. 2 will nearly do the same power and has less to go wrong 

15 hours ago, Aggy said:

The mk3 is a fantastic tool but there are reliability reports problems with leaks ect , my mk. 2 will nearly do the same power and has less to go wrong 

That's why the Rapid platform is so popular, it only has a few o rings, I have a Rapid MFR I bought new in 2003, other than 1 bottle o ring it's completely standard and untouched, British engineering at it's finest. 

I have a Daystate Air Ranger FAC in .25 running at around 45 ft/lb's. It's a work of art. The trigger is a beautiful 2 stage, and it has a lovely walnut stock. But I'd like to try and get hold of some hammer spring guides with a different thickness to lower the power down to around 35 ft/lb's. I must admit, I would love a Bullpup like the FX Impact, but can't be arsed to go through the hassle of selling my Air Ranger.

20220715_103330.jpg

20220715_103312.jpg

3 hours ago, Kevgun said:

That's why the Rapid platform is so popular, it only has a few o rings, I have a Rapid MFR I bought new in 2003, other than 1 bottle o ring it's completely standard and untouched, British engineering at it's finest. 

I also have a RAW HM1000x chassis rifle that is essentially the latest incarnation and updated rapid 

83BF1D82-545C-4A15-A85F-A90B39209725.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Shuggy said:

A 32 ft lb CB Long is also safe around habitation. You have to compare apples with apples. One of the joys of a tube magazine rimfire is that it will feed pretty much any length of ammunition.

I am certainly not dissing FAC airguns. Choice is good and the engineering shown above is amazing. I’m just pointing out that there are other options available.

I've tried CB longs and they grouped like a shotgun in my Sako Finnfire at 25yds - I honestly wouldn't entertain using them on live quarry.  Others may have had more luck but in my experience they were shockingly bad 

On 7/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, Aggy said:

I also have a RAW HM1000x chassis rifle that is essentially the latest incarnation and updated rapid 

83BF1D82-545C-4A15-A85F-A90B39209725.jpeg

Yes, Lovely Rifle and on my list, My mate bought a .30 Cal one based on my recommendation, He wanted a FX Impact, but knowing what a techophobe he is< i said get the RAW it will work straight out of the box with no tinkering.