F Class Open - getting started

Catch-22

Hi F’ers,

I’ve been doing a bunch of reading and YouTubing for a while now and I’m beginning to really feel the interest in F Open.

Im a long time shooter, mostly medium/long range, plinky plonky, tactical style type stuff.

I don’t shoot competitions but definitely have a competitive spirit. I aspire for better control of the gun, to improve my reloading technique…all the good stuff. I’m looking to get out of my lazy comfort zone more and be pushed a bit.

I’m based in S Wales…sadly quite far away from Bisley. I’ve heard that Mik Mak of Dolphin used to run Bisley F Class introductory days. Does he still do that? Or anyone else?

Any advice to help me dip my toe in the water would be welcomed!

Cheers 👍

• Catch-22 changed the title to F Class Open - getting started

While I'm an FO shooter, as Furrybean has said the growth area is FTR, at least here in NZ. More specifically, our category of "FTR Classic" has taken off. This is limited to rifles shooting 155s and allows far more people to compete without the arms/$$ race that FTR became. Many serious FTR ( fast twist/ heavies) rigs are only a tad removed from full-blown FO, ie too expensive for many folks. With Classic, shooters can start cheaply by getting an old target rifle, throwing a scope and bipod on it and they're away.

There's nothing to stop you changing to FO later, in fact FTR is a great training ground as you'll learn wind better.

Many thanks both for your help and advise.

Is there a club I could contact to go along to and speak with some members about starting out?

Are there any near me (S Wales)? Or do the clubs (down south) just all go to Bisley anyway?

And club shoots, do they only take place weekends (Sat or Sun)?

Sundays are tricky for me as I have church. But I don’t work every other Friday, so can be more flexible to travel & shoot then. 
I should probably just join Bisley and hire a lane for the morning or day. But had thought approaching a club might be good for the advice and social side.

Im a member of Monmouth & District but I don’t know if any F class shooters there. Mind you it is a big club, so there might be. If anyone reading this is with MDRC too, and shoot F class, I’d love to chat and possibly share lifts or a shooting lane.

There's usually a training day held but I can't remember when it usually takes place.

There's and F class club called the Dorset rifleman and that's about as competive as it gets.

Every league match is tough..

Alot of the team gb f open and ftr shooters are members..

You'll certainly will be putting yourself too the test 🤪.

Several of our members come from your neck of the woods.

Dorset rifleman matches are mainly Sundays..

There's something every 2 weeks.. a practice day and 2 weeks later a comp.

Gbfca league matches are Friday too Sunday mainly unless its the European championships.. 

Friday is a practice day or afternoon and Saturday and Sunday mornings is the main event.

• 2 months later...

My club didn’t shoot fclass so no good at all 

a good friend who’s is very well thought of helped me 

my point is with out a helping hand you won’t be ably to join either 

thinking about it it makes an argument for mentoring but there is the once a year training course 

I have a friend I will happy recommend and help when he finally retires and has the time 

Dan Rich has already shot in the gbfca league matches.

SSC is needed and you'll need the high muzzle energy approval aswell too shoot open class.

You are probaly better doing the coarse and gaining both.