Moly coating

nuttyspaniel

Do Moly coated heads aid barrel life? If so can it be done easily enough? And how is it done? Or doesnt it make that much difference?

Hi mate.

I've no idea whether moly coated heads increase or decrease barrel life. I use moly heads in my 22-250 and it loves them. I tried out AMAX's but as soon as I had a go with the molys the groups tightened up considerably.

Combined Technology make moly coated ballistic tips which are available off Midwayuk. These are the ones I use:

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage....leItemID=187361

Here's an interesting article on the pros and cons (mainly cons) of using Moly.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm

Rgds

Darren

I think moly coating's benefits have yet to be proved. US NRA High Power shooters started this years ago and have since dropped it for lack of benefit. Moly coated bullets are usually languishing on the shelves here. Methinks that if your rifle likes a particular moly coated bullet it would like the non-coated variety as well.~Andrew

Methinks that if your rifle likes a particular moly coated bullet it would like the non-coated variety as well.~Andrew

It might well do. Shouldn't be any reason why 55gr Noslers would be any different from the 55gr Combined Tech ones (which I believe are actually Noslers anyway)

Got to admit it though, those moly heads do look good.......... :lol:

i tried moycoating years ago using bergers bullets and to be honest never noticed a difference to justify the actuall process

cheers mark

Moly will not prevent throat erosion which is your main cause of barrels "wearing out".

The main advantage is you can have longer shooting sessions before the accuracy goes off. Makes sense where you have a target-rich environment, eg US sod poodle shooting (which I'm about to do again in about a month's time)

Chris-NZ

My 243 that has just been sold, loved moly coated Berger 68grainers - far more consistant with them molyied, less pressure too.

However the pain is getting them coated, after a while I just did my own and this worked great.

But in my opinion once you start using moly you cannot switch between them and non moly, I did this and after about 60 shots groups started to open up again, so back to moly. If you have a rifle that refuses to shoot without moly then this might be the answer to get a good group, but reckon the barrel gets addicted to it.

If anybody wants to try doing there own I have the bowls that fit onto a tumbler, ceramic coating "shapes", moly powder and bore conditioner - pm me if you are interested - very reasonable price, just gathering dust in my reloading room now.

My 243 that has just been sold, loved moly coated Berger 68grainers - far more consistant with them molyied, less pressure too.

It's less pressure because of less friction, so your velocity would have been down a bit. From memory, I had to step up over a grain to regain the velocity of the non-moly projs in the .308

cheers

Chris

Dpile,

I remember reading somewhere that the black coating on the CTSilvertips is not moly but some other stuff called Lubalox???? or summat like that, I think. I use the 95gn version my 243 for deer and they are excellent. I don't remember clearly where or when I read this, I'm afraid. However, if anyone has different info, I would be happy to be corrected.

Ah, just found a reference on the Nosler reloading forum - it's called Lubalox and does not stay in the barrel, apparently.

Peter

moly is a sulfide that over time absorbs moisture/water.....

the suflide turns into sulphuric acid....eats your barrel.

Your call....

308Panther

These problems are possibly an issue if you're one of those people who think cleaning is optional, and you store guns in a moist environment.

As I mentioned recently, I have an NRA (Palma- style) .308 with a Krieger SS barrel that has over 5K documented moly rounds through it and still shooting sub-1/2MOA. The borescope shows zero corrosion anywhere in it, in fact mirror smooth as you'd expect. 'nuff said.

Chris-NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I too have never been sold on the Moly Coating argument, particulary when it comes to the issue of throat errosion. I always understood throat errosion to be mainly attributed to the hot powder gasses and not bullet friction. I then read a piece in the Archives on 6BR.COM relating to some research Norma had conducted on the issue of Moly Bullets and throat errosion. If you or any of the other guys can find it i am curious as to your opinions on it. I am still not sold on the idea but am at least now chin scratching and saying mmmmm a lot. :rolleyes:

NICK.

Chris

I too have never been sold on the Moly Coating argument, particulary when it comes to the issue of throat errosion. I always understood throat errosion to be mainly attributed to the hot powder gasses and not bullet friction. ..

NICK.

Haven't seen the article Nick but your summary is right as far as all my reading and my gunsmith's experience suggests. He has rebarrelled -countless- NRA guns that have been shot out with naked and moly projs (when they were more in fashion) and there's no discernible difference in barrel life with either.

If you think about it, those hard grains blasting with extreme force and temperature into the throat can't do the steel any good at all. The effects of the mechanical impact and flame temp aren't going to be ameliorated by some pissy moly coating on the bullet itself.

Chris

Archived