.284 Shehane Dies????

pengo

Good evening.

I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me where I can find a quality set of .284 Shehane dies, please?

This is for a "Factory rifle" - Sabatti, but I can't get a reply from them, to confirm it is actually a Shehane, as advertised and not a straight .284, but had no reply as yet. Because I haven't picked up the rifle yet, as I'm waiting for a variation, I might end up changing my mind and going another route, depending on what information / advice I receive.

I seem to have exhausted all the avenues I can think of and keep coming up blank.

If anyone can give me an idea as to cost as well, it would be much appreciated. I'm also happy to go with a good condition second hand set.

The main emphasis is on the quality side (as long as my bodily organs can remain intact), but any information or advice is much appreciated.
I await your replies.

Cheers.

Pengo

Newlon Die Blanks and whoever made your rifle use the chamber reamer to machine the seater and a resize reamer to machine the FL die 

That’s what I would do and have done for my own Shehane 

Ive also made a small base body die for the same cartridge

Uou could also send some direct brass to Warner Tool which they will scan and then machine their own die sets for you 

Sit down when you see the cost though 

3 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Newlon Die Blanks and whoever made your rifle use the chamber reamer to machine the seater and a resize reamer to machine the FL die 

That’s what I would do and have done for my own Shehane 

Ive also made a small base body die for the same cartridge

Uou could also send some direct brass to Warner Tool which they will scan and then machine their own die sets for you 

Sit down when you see the cost though 

Hi Ronin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I forgot to mention that this is a "Factory" rifle - Sabatti and is advertised as a Shehane, so I can't ask whoever made it.

I've tried contact the company direct to find out if it is actually "Shehane", as advertised or actually a straight .284, but had no reply.

2 hours ago, pengo said:

Hi Ronin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I forgot to mention that this is a "Factory" rifle - Sabatti and is advertised as a Shehane, so I can't ask whoever made it.

I've tried contact the company direct to find out if it is actually "Shehane", as advertised or actually a straight .284, but had no reply.

Thinking about this Paul it would be very strange for a factory rifle to be chambered in the Shehane variant and from your point of view its vital you find out. A factory .284 offers you even less than what we spoke about but is probably the more likely option.

16 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Thinking about this Paul it would be very strange for a factory rifle to be chambered in the Shehane variant and from your point of view its vital you find out. A factory .284 offers you even less than what we spoke about but is probably the more likely option.

Hi Alan.

I totally agree with you and I've tried to get this information from the Manufacturer and the Importer, but as yet no response, which doesn't fill me with confidence, so I think it might be time to draw a line under it and go on the more "normal route" of a straight .284, now my variation has gone in; or I could just not bother and stick with what I have, until I get more research done.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, 1967spud said:

it is a propper shehane according to importers , now to sort dies

Cheers Mark.

That's more than they told me!!! The next bit is seeming to prove just as difficult, as I'm finding out......

I've heard a few people are not happy with the quality of the Whidden dies that hey have received, in various calibres, so it's turning into a proper challenge.

Hopefully someone can perhaps tell me different.

If your concerned about Whidden dies then why not simply get someone with Shehane Resize reamer and Finish Reamer to make you a die set 

If the manufacturer of the rifle has made a chamber using Shehane spec then any Shehane spec reamer (resize and finish) will produce dies suitable for FL and seating die - the variances in spec may be throat length and neck diameter

The neck spec if non standard will be marked on your rifle 

if you are desperate I can lend you my own Shehane  die set that I’ve made for my own rifle in the interim on the proviso they are returned in condition sent  so you can at least try resizing a couple of pieces of brass with my die set to see if that resizes your brass adequately 

• 1 month later...

I have also been intrigued by the Sabatti in this calibre. I have the rifle in win mag and its more accurate than me. 

Have read a bit I thought the brass was fire formed from 284 Win brass, the neck sized.

I assumed (probably wrongly), that if full sizing was required you would anneal then resize to 284 win and re fireform.

waiting to be educated

Eddie