Scope for long-range rimfire shooting

No i deer

On 1/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, No i deer said:

Any of you using a CZ457 LRP.. what do you think of them..??

I had a look at a voodoo renegade on YouTube but I can't see me spending that much money on a rimfire.

I would love it if the 457 LRP came with a beautiful wood stock. but, the present configuration of the 457 LRP makes perfect sense.

I had a bit of a saga with Sportsman Gun Centre as I ordered a LRP stock for my 457 MTR, after 3 months of waiting I phoned them back to find out they sold it to someone else 😡 rather than waiting for another I opted for a MDT XRS, I'm glad I did, don't get me wrong the LRP is a great looking stock but I'm glad I've gone down the chassis route and there was only a £80 difference price wise. 

10 hours ago, Trigger73 said:

I had a bit of a saga with Sportsman Gun Centre as I ordered a LRP stock for my 457 MTR, after 3 months of waiting I phoned them back to find out they sold it to someone else 😡 rather than waiting for another I opted for a MDT XRS, I'm glad I did, don't get me wrong the LRP is a great looking stock but I'm glad I've gone down the chassis route and there was only a £80 difference price wise. 

Good decision. MDT XRS or RF LSS makes far more sense as aftermarket option than the LRP - no brainer. Worth every penny of the extra £80. 

I've got the 457 in the Boyds AT-One stock.

I can't tell you which scope to get but I can tell you which one to avoid, the Athlon Argos gets very milky towards the top end and doesn't do the rifle justice.  The Hawke Sidewinder works well with it but I am on the lookout for something to match the 457 and make the most of its accuracy, I don't think the Hawke is quite it.  I am reluctant to spend more on the scope than the gun, that's what I used to do in my hunting days and I've never seen the need to do that for target, but equally, I can't work my way through every scope out there on the way up, so may have to bite the bullet and just go for known top quality scope.

4 hours ago, nCognitos said:

I can't tell you which scope to get but I can tell you which one to avoid, the Athlon Argos gets very milky towards the top end and doesn't do the rifle justice.  The Hawke Sidewinder works well with it but I am on the lookout for something to match the 457 and make the most of its accuracy, I don't think the Hawke is quite it.  I am reluctant to spend more on the scope than the gun, that's what I used to do in my hunting days and I've never seen the need to do that for target, but equally, I can't work my way through every scope out there on the way up, so may have to bite the bullet and just go for known top quality scope.

Falcon X50.. £700 for basically a rebadged, brand new, Japanese made sightron S3, 10-50x60 and faultless clarity at full mag, excellent dialling etc, bit big but for target and bench shooting pure quality. 

18 hours ago, nCognitos said:

Good to see someone in agreement. I have owned 4 Athlon scopes soon to be 1 and no more. Choosing a Scope is a personal choice and difficult to advise without knowing more parameters. - Budget, magnification, FFP/SFP, size,  etc. I have a Vector optics veryon on my CZ457 - at £200 will get the job done but many would think its too cheap to be any good. Then i would agree with the previous recommendation:  the Element Helix but only in FFP (have tried both), also the Vortex Diamondback tactical in FFP. Not one i have tried is the Riton on offer at OW looks good but not for me (too big and heavy). Same again for Sightron S3 - good scope but not for me (reticle). Sidewinder is a popular scope so must be good, optics as good as any i have named and i have seen it in benchrest comp - obviously not for everyone. As i say way too personal to be right on this one.     

The moa 2 reticle has served me well..

Use it on my 284 and 6.5x47.. cranked up to 32 mag gives 1.5 moa hash marks that easy to measure with at 600 and 1000yds.

The same reticle with 1 moa would nice.. the vortex golden eagle has that capability which works well on 40 mag..

14 hours ago, No i deer said:

I had a falcon 18 mag scope years ago and i never had a problem with it..

I don't think the glass was as good as sightron though.. having 2 x 8 x 32s for years now..

Maybe the falcon gas better glass now..

The X50 is the only Falcon scope that is made in Japan, all the others are made in China. 

I've had the M18s, M25s, T50 and the X50, all great scopes but the X50 really is a wolf in sheeps clothing. 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, No i deer said:

Any of you using a CZ457 LRP.. what do you think of them..??

I had a look at a voodoo renegade on YouTube but I can't see me spending that much money on a rimfire.

you wont be disapointed  i have one and sold about 6  one guy said its almost boring with jagged one hole groups at 100 yards . The alternative in a wooden stock would be the MTR (i think)

There is a UK designed and built  Chassis system coming very soon ......

6 hours ago, Dellboy said:

you wont be disapointed  i have one and sold about 6  one guy said its almost boring with jagged one hole groups at 100 yards . The alternative in a wooden stock would be the MTR (i think)

There is a UK designed and built  Chassis system coming very soon ......

Very interested if this incredible accuracy is with a 20" fluted factory barrel as i will be purchasing a .22lr barrel soon. Looking at Lilja but still open to the idea of saving a few quid.

Thanks

Steve

25 minutes ago, outlanda said:

Very interested if this incredible accuracy is with a 20" fluted factory barrel as i will be purchasing a .22lr barrel soon. Looking at Lilja but still open to the idea of saving a few quid.

Thanks

Steve

t

25 minutes ago, outlanda said:

try the lrp in standard form could save you some money    if you were in essex you could try mine  or Bisley ???

35 minutes ago, Dellboy said:

t

Thank you for the kind offer. Sadly too far away. Its a dilemma. Take the plunge and buy the Lilja with high expectations and be disappointed or a factory CZ MTR barrel and have a nice surprise. Of course i may wish i bought the Lilja in hindsight. Another advantage besides cost is the 16" MTR barrel option and the 1/2"unf factory thread whereas the Lilja will have to threaded and could possibly ruin it. That's the dilema.

Could i ask what ammunition to use for this accuracy please?    

1 hour ago, outlanda said:

Thank you for the kind offer. Sadly too far away. Its a dilemma. Take the plunge and buy the Lilja with high expectations and be disappointed or a factory CZ MTR barrel and have a nice surprise. Of course i may wish i bought the Lilja in hindsight. Another advantage besides cost is the 16" MTR barrel option and the 1/2"unf factory thread whereas the Lilja will have to threaded and could possibly ruin it. That's the dilema.

Could i ask what ammunition to use for this accuracy please?    

ive used eley action   some old pink box lapua mini mags and  normal cci   in all fairness the lap was the best followed by either cci   but there wasnt enough in it really to worry

I've only put 430 rounds down the factory barrel of the 457, a mix of SK Standard + and SK Rifle Match.  So far, so good, astonishing accuracy with one hole groups at 25yds, ragged hole at 50 yds and opening up a bit to a touching group at 100yds.  I have 12 ammo types to try out with it, Eley target brands, SK brands and Lapua Center-X.  Got RWS rifle match as well (but I find RWS ammo dirty so I do avoid it) and some CCI standard. 

Used a mod from day 1.

If I was getting a Dolphin built for 2k, I would definitely go for the Lilja barrel but while I will change my stock, I don't see any reason to change the barrel at this stage, I am very happy with it.  

I'm planning to join the long range rimfire club (https://sites.google.com/site/thelongrangerimfireclub/), it's only £10 and also enter the smallbore long range match (https://online.nra.org.uk/sblr-2022), but that's going to depend on getting a scope that will give me 55 MOA of adjustment, or figuring out my aiming marks.  The Hawke has 16MRAD in total, I need 16.1 to go from 25yds to 300yds, so even with a 20MOA rail, that still leaves me 2MRAD short, so holding over by 2 mil should do it.

nCognitos Thank you for feedback as very interested in the CZ barrel accuracy. My assumption i need a Lilja is probably wrong. As i am building on a budget i might be changing my mind - risk of a bad barrel scares me. Also 16" or 20" fluted mtr?

It is Dolphin i have contacted about the Lilja and have seen his builds. He/they have a very nice chassis made in UK and pricey. If i was spending 2k it would be an Anschutz. Mines a budget build on a used 16" .17HMR MTR now in an MDT LSS RF. 

Regards scope, both Element Helix FFP 6-24x50 MRAD and Vortex Diamond Tactical FFP 6-24x50 MRAD have around 19 MIL of elevation and still affordable. Would recommend either.

Thanks

Steve

I looked at the Dolphin stock for a shade under £800 I think.  I decided to go with a Form stock to replace my AT-One stock for push button adjustability, I share my rifle with my kid.  I'm not so worried about rigidity on a rimfire but I was shooting with a chap who had a Dolphin stock on his .308 last weekend and they are excellent stocks, so there may be one in my future.  I'm using the 20" factory barrel.  19MIL with a 20MOA rail would give me ((19/2)+5.8)=15.4Mil, just not quite enough.