Costing up a .50BMG

Rite lads as the title really dont know if anyone on here shoots a 50, but my firearms is up for renewal and im looking for somone to put me off appling for a 50BMG, i was asking my firearms officer about it the other day and he was just shaking his head in dispair as he knows about my long range fixations!! :rolleyes:

but seriously,

anyone got any idea on the costs of shooting a 50?

Either reloading for or just buying Ex-milatry ball and tracer ammo

Was druling over the accuraty AW50 on guntrader :rolleyes: , but im not really prepaired to pay 8 grand :)

Why would you want such a big round? I know they're quite fun and all but they cost a fortune to run from what I can make of it. Only going on what some guy that was shooting one at Sennybridge at the same time as I was there was saying, but £2 per bullet, 30p per primer, a shed load of powder per case, they just cost too much to run! Then there aren't many places you can shoot it. If I could have an M2HB I'd want a .50, but for knocking down metal plates on a range I'd rather shoot an accurate rifle with other uses.

Hi Shrek, as you know I've been toying with the idea for the last few months. Unfortunately my student budget isn't exactly huge and running TRG's in 308, 338 and shortly 30-338 certainly eats the funds :rolleyes: .....

For the action I'd expect to pay around the £1,000 mark depending on which you go with.

Depending on your action...£200 for a decent trigger.

Then it's $480 for a 34" stainless 50 BMG Pacnor tube + shipping, so basically £350.

For chambering, fitting, muzzle thread, proof and postage I'd expect to pay £250.

A great big muzzle break, hugely depends on if you go for a 'brand' or not...so another £150+.

Stocks is a personal thing, but around £500 for a decent bit of aluminium or glass. Then another £200 on bedding if it doesn't have a built in bedding chassie.

Alternatively you could get a laminate stock from the states for $200 finish it and bed it yourself. This is what I'll do and will upgrade it if I feel the need/as funds allow.

So your looking at £2,100ish on a finish/bed it yourself stock to £2,600+ with a more fancy stock.

Obviously these figures are only 'rough' but give you an idea.

As for ammo, you can get military ball for around £2.20-£3, with tracer or flash around £4.50-£5.50.

Alternatively you can reload, with A-MAX at about £2 each, £1 for powder, 50p primers and cases at £30p (based on 5 reloads) so about £4 for a precision reload. Or for about £2.20 with cheap pulled ball or tracer bullets.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. I've still got a set of New 50 BMG RCBS dies at less than 1/2 price if your interested :rolleyes:

And 50BMG is cheaper to shoot than 338 at the moment :)

You could buy an of the shelf rifle for around 3k

Or a custom for similar (Barnard 50 single shot action, decent barrel, stock and trigger)

That would be my own preferd option (although the RPA Rangemaster looks very nice)

Don't mean to hijack; but interested in 'why 30-338'?

Accepting that local plod would never give 338 for deer; that'd be my choice for a stalking AWSM.

Exactly that...I was fortunate to be granted my TRG .338 for deer, fox & ground game, but after a few months the police got very 'awkward' about it and asked my licence in under false prentences and then refused to issue it back to me with the .338 still on there for field use :( . After 6months of 'polite discussion' I folded. So we reached a compromise with my .338 being kept for targets and a spare .30-338LM barrel being granted for field use :) Since I'd already had a .300RUM they were fine about the .30-338LM. Still can't get my head round it, since if you understand the ballistics the 30-338 is hardly lagging behind the .338 :D So overall they are happier and I don't mind, since the bullet selection for field use is far better in .30cal anyway :) I'll write a thread on it once I get it through and let you know how I get on.

Cheers Tiff

(Sorry for the minor Hijack ;) )

Tiff,

Add another £1000-£1200 for a more realistic price mate ;)

Ian

Which it of my pricing don't you agree with then? This is what I worked it out to be roughly before I went down the .338 route....

Which it of my pricing don't you agree with then? This is what I worked it out to be roughly before I went down the .338 route....

All of it buddy ;) cost it out properly and you will see, for instamce Pac-nor charge $125 shipping and then there is 23 1/2 % tax and duty to add on

Ian

All of it buddy :) cost it out properly and you will see, for instamce Pac-nor charge $125 shipping and then there is 23 1/2 % tax and duty to add on

Ian

Hi Ian not picking a fight here so please don't take it that was :D Simply trying to help out narrow down the prices for shrek.......

I'm sure the $125 shipping is per order, not per barrel...How else can I get a $255 super match blank for under £225 here ;)

So it's $486 for a 34" tube plus shipping, plus vat/duty.....Even at the top end it will come out at under $700 or £500.

You can get it chambered, fitted, muzzle threaded, muzzle break made, proofed and posted back for well under £400, by many good gunsmiths that are on here.

For a single shot action there are still many available for around £1,000 if you can get one tagged onto an order or find on sitting on a shelf....

Most decent triggers can be had for around £200.

Stocks well how much do you want to spend......But like I said above you can still get a rough inlet laminate stock for about $250 if you look in the right places. So still under £300 once you finish and bed it yourself.

So that's: 500+400+1,000+200+300=£2,400 and that's being generous :(

So what have I missed?

If my summer work goes well this is what I'll be getting next....I don't like spending money and always try to get things at honest fair prices. Just because it's a big fifty doesn't need to make it expensive :)

Shrekles me little lad....

Me told ya last time U n da Ratwife got to talkin bout dis wot wud appen ;)

I just picked up some 7.62x51 ball for 28p/round :) .... you can't start @£2.80 :) now mine's not going to spank the monkey at 2000yrds but hey "shorter strokes, and lots more pokes"

Ratty.

One thing that has maybe overlooked is the tooling costs.

Now I dont know of nyone specifically who has a 50 cal reamer, so if your chosen "smith" has to buy a reamer specially and pilots etc etc, it may be that they ask for 50% of the costs on top of the job.

Maybe adding another 200 - 300 quid to the job.

Alrite guys, i think you've convinced me to not bother!

njc110381, as for having such a big round, i own two 308's an 6BR and a 243 which will one day become a 243AI, thats plenty of firepower for any mamal in this country, i could go somthin bigger such as a 300 win mag, but i dont see the need in it for stalking and i am never intending going out for big dangerous game in africa or the like, and as i have killed reds at range with the 308 cleany, i have no need for a bigger calibre for field use.

I was just thinking along the lines of somthing which i could use only on range days to yet inhance my shooting/ reloading/ markmanship skills but be able to hit targets at extreme ranges, that was may only reason behind it!

Think i'll just stick to my 155gr scenars and my 168 amaxs knockin s**t out of that rock in that scar at 1000 yards at warcop! ;)

Cheers for the input guys!

Hahaha, The lathes i got are good enough mate, they just need a tune up and abit of TLC!!

But you never know, if a nice digital readout jobbie came up cheap on ebay, well the machine shop will just have to get abit tighter ;)

I'm pricing up for the big .50 at the minute. Having just bought a .338 LM set up Ive noticed the prices ar'nt that different, the biggest difference is the bullet and powder cost and the fact that you have to practically buy a new reloading set up. Ive not looked at the prices of many rifles except the AI AW50 and the steyer HS.50 the 2 rifles I'm considering are the nemesis and the rpa range master. Ive not looked at custom rifles yet but if the prices Tiff quoted are upto date then that may be the way to go.

From what Ive looked at so far the price seems to range from £5,500-£10,500 depending on the rifle and what cost you can get the scope,reloading gear and reloading components for.

Not cheap but everytime i go to sennybridge or warcop i find myself wandering down to the noisy end of the range and wanting one even more.

Ratty, im Too busy to scratch my own arse at the moment mate! let alone tinker about on the lathe!!! haha

Sean, thats the feelin i get when im at warcop, quite depressin when your watchin a 50 cal tracer wizz over to the 3000 yard tank hull through the scope of the 308, knowing fine well that the good old 30 cals run out of steam a long way before that! haha, but as Ratwhiskers says

"Shorter strokes, and lots more pokes"

Tiff,

Its very easy to underestimate costing, like you i factor in every last pound,

As a guideline for your .50cal build, i paid £2140 for the parts for my .257 AI it includes all taxes duties and shipping (Pac-Nor charged me $125 for shipping) thats before any metal has been cut and does not include Gunkote for the action, bead balsting the barrel and brake, or the price of bases and rings.

Any smith is going to add at least a grand to that price to put that lot together and present you with a complete rifle.

I would say add an extra £150 for a .50cal action, £100 for the .50cal barrel, £120 for a jewel (i used a Rifle Basix) and knowing you tac guys you would want a piccatinney rail and tactical rings about £250??

Thats £3760, can you see where i am coming from now.

Ian.

Hi Ian, I guess it's case of who/what you know when it comes to parts ;) . I'll happily get you one built for that and keep the £1,000 for myself :) I'll start another thread along a similar vein to save a major hijack!

Funny to stumble across this thread this evening. I was at a Gun Show in Billings, Montana and talked to a fellow who is making bolt action, single shot 50 Calibers with a 35" barrel, bipod, scope rail and a brake for $1500 complete. He couldn't produce any evidence of accuracy (He said he has no idea where the packet of targets he brought to the show had gotten to) so I didn't do much more than look at one of the 5 samples he had at his table but he promised me some targets to look at tomorrow. If the targets look good I may bite on one. The rifles are a basic shooting machine with a good trigger, barrel, and little else in the way of "frills". If it is accurate I can live with the rest. Everyone should own a bit of artillery, you know? ~Andrew

Archived