which remington 700 ?

does the following spec exist or does it have to be a custom?

1. fluted screw cut barrel no more than 22"

2. New x mark trigger

3. Synthetic stock

4. .243 calibre

seen plenty close on their american site but do edgar bros only keep and small part of their range...

any help would be great

The only advice that I can give looking at your spec is buy a Sako Finnlite! (or any other Sako for that matter, several models come close to your spec) Unless of course you enjoy the challenge of buying a Rem 700 then changing most of the bits in order to get a good rifle!! Only kidding (mostly!) Have a look at this weeks Shooting Times, Bruce Potts reviews a Mod Seven that sounds similar to what you are looking for. The only Mod Seven that I ever had (in 7mm-'08) grouped like a mad womans poo and was about as much use as the tits on a bull but maybe that was only one bad one. JC

cheers everyone......700's are like marmite arent they...you either love them or hate them

did look at a sako ...........then a Tikka T3 new super varmint.......decisions, decisions......

I am drawn to the Tikka, good trigger, picatinny fitted, larger bolt handle, better stock....screw cut.....

ahhhhhhhhhh SOD it..............Tikka it is............... :)

post-9261-1238184325_thumb.png

The fluted barrel on the LVSF is nice, but the rifle doesn't have a drop plate (blind box).

I opted for the SPS stainless sporter weight barrel, got it this week. The rifle grouped

3/4" out of the box with the ammo the shop threw in. I'm pleasantly surprised with the rifle

and had expected much worse. Trigger isn't great and the stock must go in the bin.

Don't think the lvsf stock is much better.

For the price difference between a sps and a LVSF over here I could just about get a custom

barrel fitted.

edi

Guest Sprags
I opted for the SPS stainless sporter weight barrel, got it this week. The rifle grouped

3/4" out of the box with the ammo the shop threw in. I'm pleasantly surprised with the rifle

and had expected much worse. Trigger isn't great and the stock must go in the bin.

My SPS grouped sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo, I have since changed the stock, had the trigger adjusted as the standard facory Remmy's come with a trigger pull of around 5lb if recall correctly, mine was taken down to 2lb which suits me fine.

I have now got into reloading and a friend has developed a load for my rifle and it now groups 5 shots the size of a 5p piece @100yds

Like I say, I love my Remmy 700...... ;)

EDITED TO ADD: When I say I am into reloading, I mean I know how to do it and have the kit, I just need a shell holder for my hand primer and I'm away.....

A Rem 700 LTR should suit you Sportsman and Deep Blue have them in stock or you could order an XCR (fairly new out) I have not seen an XCR offerd for sale in the UK yet.

Dave

hi Dave, yes, seen the those on the USA site but not offered here as yet.....just my spec but i think....ITS going to HAVE be a Tikka T3 super varmint now.....by the time i change the trigger / stock etc.....its the same price....so going to bite the bullet and get one... ;)

Hi Dave.......seen this and drooled...but the Tikka is about the same price...and its a far better spec, my mentor / mate uses a remy and as he says " good enough for the police and armed forces"...but....

Lots of comments for and against 700's

Here are my 2p

700LTR excellent rifle HS stock, short barrel and damn handy, I have a mate with one in 308 - he's had it for 4 or 5 years and its never let him down or dropped accuracy from 1/2 inch with factory ammo...

700's as a whole - good dependable workhorses - (a bit like the US version of AI (just jesting Matt)

However, when they are fitted with the standard HS stock (like the 700 police, LTR et al) they are bombproof. The HS stock is very strong, stiff and makes and excellent base for an accuracte rifle.

Parts availability - cheap, easy to swap parts that go wrong - and there arn't many that do go wrong (safety detent spring clip brakes occasionally and the extractor sometimes needs changing (rarely)

Both are ten quid two minute jobs.

Someone mentioned the Tikka Super VArmint - the T3 is a prime example of a great company building a rifle to a budget - one action length, cheap bendy stocks that need chucking away (like SPS stocks) and poor finishing on some parts - not my idea of the Tikka's of old.

My opinion, if you want a do all work friendly rifle get a Rem 700, they are cheap, they are reliable and every one ive shot has been pretty accurate (apart from the ones that the barrel has been shot out)

hi guys ,

well do have a rem 700 but its the pss version in 308 not exactly a light gun but its as good as i can shoot it, will find out more next week end . when i was looking for my 243 looked at the various remmy offerings but nothing stood out and grabed my attention shame they dont do a 243 pss out of the box did think about dropping a sps into a hs stock .

but then came across a howa 1500 stainless action and barrel with a heavy varmint profile and screw cut and its a joy to shoot in the standard hougue stock. if you want to get a bit tricky they also offer some great looking thumbhole and laminated stocks and the action is a rem 700 clone use the same bases and trigger is fully adjustable but not touched mine yet unlike the pss which was so heavy. and to top it off it came with a scope and bases in the price.

think i found a load for the match bullets in time for next weekend as well .

see those that make it next weekend

yours graham.

Graham your findings mirror my own.

I already have a remy so I'm certainly not opposed to them but nothing stands out and says buy me.

IMHO The LVS is one example spoilt by not having a magazine or bottom plate. Strikes me as just a stainless ADL with an extra £300 or so on top. I thought the same as you why not a 243 pss ?

Think I'm going down the sako route.

• 5 weeks later...

quote name='eldon' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:21 PM' post='52849']

Graham your findings mirror my own.

I already have a remy so I'm certainly not opposed to them but nothing stands out and says buy me.

IMHO The LVS is one example spoilt by not having a magazine or bottom plate. Strikes me as just a stainless ADL with an extra £300 or so on top. I thought the same as you why not a 243 pss ?

Think I'm going down the sako route.

ive got one ;) [

hi roeboy,

hate to start an arguement but dont think that is a genuine remmy pss but it is a smart looking gun though. bet it shoots ok as well.

as far as i am aware but stand to be corrected the genuine article only comes in a black hs stock it also has a 26 inch heavy plain varmint profile barrel not flutted and the whole rifle and action is finished in a phosphated finish to aid concealment.

not sure what you have there but suspect it my be a slendero or another 700 action model dropped into a hs stock.

graham.

hi roeboy,

hate to start an arguement but dont think that is a genuine remmy pss but it is a smart looking gun though. bet it shoots ok as well.

as far as i am aware but stand to be corrected the genuine article only comes in a black hs stock it also has a 26 inch heavy plain varmint profile barrel not flutted and the whole rifle and action is finished in a phosphated finish to aid concealment.

not sure what you have there but suspect it my be a slendero or another 700 action model dropped into a hs stock.

graham.

Hi graham, its the remington 700 xcr compact tactical, bell and carlson stock as standard, best group at 100 yards with 168 amax's is .3", hole centres , im still a bit shocked, i think im in love. there was only one in the country when i got it.

Sidesy, you wont be dissappointed with the T3. The stock isn't that bendy and more than man enough for the action.

Both i and a friend have T3's, his in .243, mine in .223.

They're tack drivers out of the box and no need for bolt ons.... ;)

Ive had 2 remmies and they both cost me a fortune to get to shoot staright! once done they are deadly accurate! however i have a tikka t3 which is so much better, much better quality, feel and you have a better trigger, mag and saftey. The synth stock is a litlle flexy but one hell alot of stiffer than the sps stocks! A mate also has one which shoots 1/2" out of the box too.

I also have 2 sako's which are in a different league altogether as a remmy. You can get a remmy and spend hundreds on it to customise n accurise it but at the end of the day its still a remmy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived