Long range red deer hunt 412m

trazman

As said the shot placement was a tad high but .. the .338 done the biss ( I’m confident in saying a lesser calibre would ment you following a Trail for the rest of the day ) 

I personally thought this was a really good and honest stalk , lovly video , awesome location. And really enjoyed watching it . And really jealous. 

The video was well made and the bullet trace was very visible but the shot wasn’t good at all. The elevation was perhaps 20cm too high and the deer was killed by chance rather than by good judgement and precise shooting. I personally would be trying to forget the shot rather than putting it up on the internet. All it shows is the hunter was shooting beyond his abilities. 

3 minutes ago, srvet said:

The video was well made and the bullet trace was very visible but the shot wasn’t good at all. The elevation was perhaps 20cm too high and the deer was killed by chance rather than by good judgement and precise shooting. I personally would be trying to forget the shot rather than putting it up on the internet. All it shows is the hunter was shooting beyond his abilities. 

And there was me trying to be gentle haha 😂 

15 hours ago, One on top of two said:

And there was me trying to be gentle haha 😂 

🤣 Well at least you tried...

Shot placement was not perfect, but far from bad. And actually the .338lm didn't made it any easier since at the time I was shooting 300gr Lapua scenar bullets which are not for hunting use. I learned it the hard way. Later I switched to Berger hunting bullets that are much better. 

I had longer shots than that with similar shot placement using 6,5x55 but with Hornady 143gr eldx. Most deer droped in its tracks... In the end I have to say that the .338lm is not that much deadly than something smaller. I belive that using correct bullets is of bigger importance...

2 hours ago, trazman said:

🤣 Well at least you tried...

Shot placement was not perfect, but far from bad. And actually the .338lm didn't made it any easier since at the time I was shooting 300gr Lapua scenar bullets which are not for hunting use. I learned it the hard way. Later I switched to Berger hunting bullets that are much better. 

I had longer shots than that with similar shot placement using 6,5x55 but with Hornady 143gr eldx. Most deer droped in its tracks... In the end I have to say that the .338lm is not that much deadly than something smaller. I belive that using correct bullets is of bigger importance...

With all due respect there are few shots worse, gut shot maybe as well as brisket. I would re evaluate your statement of 'far from bad'. 

See the source image

You should ideally for a chest shot be much lower in the body, you barely creased the deer. The shot made was obviously fatal in this case, but that sort of injury is painful and a deer can survive that sort of wound for prolonged periods. It is certainly not a guaranteed fatal shot with where it hit. 

If you wish to drop a deer on the spot you will have a greater margin for error with going through both shoulders, slightly forward of the shown aiming point, but on the same level (ref. Broadside example).

Ben