Notice from DIO re non-lead

Just received a note from DIO regarding non-lead projectiles.  The up-side (if any) is it adds weight to the argument to retain lead.

"Issue, Non-leaded munitions fail to fragmentate when they hit the tgt and further breakup into the stop butt.  This causes balling, which increases the risk of back splash and ricochet.  DOSR WG have yet to understand what measures we are to adopt to manage non-lead munitions, there is very little to analyse.  

DIO have placed a restriction on all non-leaded munitions and Civilian Gun Clubs are NOT allowed to use on any UK DIO Ranges for the foreseeable future."

Good job.

I was told 2 weeks ago by a stalker he was given some copper bullets to try..

He's fired 1000s of our usual lead core bullets into his backstop and not one ricochet...!!

He fired 5 all copper bullets and 2 out of the 5 ricocheted...!!

I didn't like the sound of that...!!

Re. non lead for stalking, some game dealers will now not accept deer shot with lead bullets.

Help out a stalking buddy re. load development using the 'Fox' non lead bullets, seemed OK in a 270. 

So  bit stuck there I feel?

T

11 minutes ago, Akeld said:

DIO ??

Defence Infrastructure Organisation:   The Ministry of Defense's civilian support outfit,  they run ranges and manage landlord duties etc.   Landmarc are a primary contractor to DIO

5 hours ago, No i deer said:

Good job.

I was told 2 weeks ago by a stalker he was given some copper bullets to try..

He's fired 1000s of our usual lead core bullets into his backstop and not one ricochet...!!

He fired 5 all copper bullets and 2 out of the 5 ricocheted...!!

I didn't like the sound of that...!!

a sort of a whizzing sound?,   but seriously, I wonder if the Danes/Krauts have developed a solution on their ranges as users of non-lead?  

That has always been the case, MoD safety templates have never been designed for monolithic projectiles and their simulation system has no monolithic projectiles in its database.

I am currently in discussions with Cranfield University (who manage the system for the MoD) about access to/updating the simulation system database as FCSA (UK) has a large body of information regarding the behaviour of non lead projectiles.

The riccochet/clumping behaviour of monolithic projectiles in backstops is different as well, which may lead to different material selection for backstops/riccochet traps and an increased cleaning regime.