20cal

Duster31

10 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

but surely you may as well use a .223 ?

Why’s that then the 20cal 39gr blitskings wipe the floor of a 50gr 223 

my old 204 was shooting 39gr blitskings at 4000fps that gives you a drop of 28.8 inches and 444 ft-lb at 500 

my 223 shoots 52gr eld m at 3510fps that gives you a drop of 44.3 and 346ft-lb at 500 

It would be nice to see some heaven higher BC bullets to see how they perform also 

if you just shooting things out to 250 there is no real noticeable difference between a 204 and 223 but if you wanna shoot 500-700 it makes loads of difference 

2 hours ago, Duster31 said:

Why’s that then the 20cal 39gr blitskings wipe the floor of a 50gr 223 

my old 204 was shooting 39gr blitskings at 4000fps that gives you a drop of 28.8 inches and 444 ft-lb at 500 

my 223 shoots 52gr eld m at 3510fps that gives you a drop of 44.3 and 346ft-lb at 500 

It would be nice to see some heaven higher BC bullets to see how they perform also 

if you just shooting things out to 250 there is no real noticeable difference between a 204 and 223 but if you wanna shoot 500-700 it makes loads of difference 

calm yourself.. thats why I put a question mark, I was asking not telling .

my question was if you want a .20 cal in 50-55 grain what would the point be  ? surly a .223 in 50 grain cant be that bad in comparison? 

Obviously a 39grain  .20 cal will be faster / better than a 50grain .223  but you was asking about a 50/55 grain not a 39 grain .20 cal .

maybe thats why you cant get 50/55 grain in .20 cal .

Berger made a 50 grain and 55 grain 20 cal but they dropped them. I shot some 50 grain 20's from my 204 and they were no faster than a 50 grain 223.  I have never seen a 55 grain but I know they were offered briefly but were discontinued. Evidently the velocities from a 204 were around 2650 fps and people didn't seem to get much benefit from them. 

I shot Nosler 40 grain through my (well, now my girlfriend's) 204 CZ. I shoot 50 grain 223 through 1:8 223. We both shoot prairiedogs out to 400 yards. Her rifle shoots a little flatter but we both kill the dogs as wind allows. ~Andrew

The problem I found with the 55gr Bergers were they didnt expand on soft targets at range. After drilling holes through a few rabbits at 600yds with my 20BR it lost its appeal when you see them crawling away.

My .223 with 77TMKs smashes them up properly even at 600yds.

8 hours ago, Duster31 said:

Does any one know if we will ever get a heavier 20cal bullet again as Berger don’t make the 50gr any more I think the 20cal guns would be unreal if we could get some 50/55gr 

Only bullet manufacturers know the answer and no doubt will make them if they can sell them. Fact they have stopped making them is probably a clue. No real gain over the 40gr performance and a faster twist barrel that eliminates all factory rifle options. The .223 looks more appealing at 50/55gr onwards. 

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

The problem I found with the 55gr Bergers were they didnt expand on soft targets at range. After drilling holes through a few rabbits at 600yds with my 20BR it lost its appeal when you see them crawling away.

My .223 with 77TMKs smashes them up properly even at 600yds.

Even the 40gr bergers will pass through a fox with little expansion.

9 hours ago, One on top of two said:

calm yourself.. thats why I put a question mark, I was asking not telling .

my question was if you want a .20 cal in 50-55 grain what would the point be  ? surly a .223 in 50 grain cant be that bad in comparison? 

Obviously a 39grain  .20 cal will be faster / better than a 50grain .223  but you was asking about a 50/55 grain not a 39 grain .20 cal .

maybe thats why you cant get 50/55 grain in .20 cal .

Sorry if it came across like that I was not trying to be rude 👍🏽

9 hours ago, Duster31 said:

Sorry if it came across like that I was not trying to be rude 👍🏽

No problem mucker , 

I do have a genuine interest in these little sub .22 cals .

for a good few years I ran  a  .17 Remington alongside a .220 swift which  to me was the greatest combination I ever had .

I will at some point get something else, just don’t know what 🤔

When comparing bullets of different calibres, it's more useful to state BCs, not simply the weight. It's an apples to apples situation rather than unnecessary confusion and potential controversy.

As for 20s, it seems the 39 Blitzkings are about optimal for most factory guns. I don't own a 20 but have seen my buddy's in action extensively and it's pretty damn impressive on bunnies. However, like a std twist .22-250, they get murdered in decent wind. That's why we use 6mms for the long range stuff. He's still to do the final loads for his 6-284 and that should be mighty impressive waay out there :)    Clearly not for volume shooting though.

I actually gave him some for his 6 Dasher Gary but he likes the 95 TMKs as they shoot waaay better. Agree about the red mist factor with that combo. I actually went to 75 VMaxs in my 6BR as the 87s just weren't coming apart adequately but the vel of a 6-284 is on another planet.