A question about mods and muzzle brakes

OK after reading and searching I have found some mods can have muzzle brakes attached I can't find out how common this is, if all mods can have muzzle breaks attached, if anybody on the site has the combination on their rifle if so did the mod come with the brake or did you have to get it fitted?

The reason I have raised this topic because I have seen complaints about shooters with brakes getting complained about on the firing points and PRS have said that it is better to have a brake fitted for competitions than a mod because there is not usually anybody near you when you are shooting, hence my question is can all moderators be fitted with muzzle brakes?

Any suggestions even those telling me to go away in short jerky movements would be appreciated.

Not all moderators can have muzzle brakes fitted.

There are some systems that allow the mod to attach over a muzzle brake.

There are now some hybrid mod/brakes that claim to do a bit of both, which sounds like marketing BS to me. Beware of "purchase bias" from happy owners and the usual guff from the manufacturer and salespeople!

Matching brakes and moderators are not at all common in the UK. The two most commonly available are probably the AI double baffle brake and the Ase Utra BoreLock. Matching moderators for the AI brake include AI, A-Tec, Oceania Defence and Lawrence Precision. For the BoreLock, you are limited to Ase Utra moderators, but that’s by no means a bad thing. There are probably a few other matching brakes/moderators including some for the the old AI single baffle brake, the A-Tec Marksman Brake and one from Brugger and Thomet. But personally I have never seen these ones in the UK.

I have both the AI and BoreLock on my rifles and each have their pros and cons. You can’t go much wrong with Ase Utra though. The moderators are pretty bullet-proof and the service from Jackson Rifles is widely recognised as excellent. I have a Klarig BoreLock compatible low profile brake on one of my rifles (probably one of the few in the UK), which makes for an interesting alternative.

Yeah if you have a mod then why would you want to put a brake on the end 

Fair enough if you are shooting PRS use a brake because there is nobody in your general vicinity to bother with blast but I suppose if you are shooting with people either side of you then I think it is common politeness to use a mod as it is quieter and doesn't create a back draught of dust and hot gasses although I wouldn't mind  trying it out to see if it worked 

5 hours ago, TJC said:

You mean like this 😂😂😂

1FE47045-8FDB-4748-990D-48439EBD27DD.jpeg

FullSizeRender.mov

That's exactly what I mean

Fair enough if you are shooting PRS use a brake because there is nobody in your general vicinity to bother with blast but I suppose if you are shooting with people either side of you then I think it is common politeness to use a mod as it is quieter and doesn't create a back draught of dust and hot gasses although I wouldn't mind  trying it out to see if it worked 

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

That's exactly what I mean

Sometimes you have to shoot with a mod in certain locations, competitions or situations but don’t want the recoil impulse of a mod, you want the control that a brake affords. The sacrifice is noise suppression isn’t as good as a normal moderator. 

It’s a niche product for sure but obv it isn’t the best tool for all jobs. 

20 hours ago, Lawrence said:

OK after reading and searching I have found some mods can have muzzle brakes attached I can't find out how common this is, if all mods can have muzzle breaks attached, if anybody on the site has the combination on their rifle if so did the mod come with the brake or did you have to get it fitted?

The reason I have raised this topic because I have seen complaints about shooters with brakes getting complained about on the firing points and PRS have said that it is better to have a brake fitted for competitions than a mod because there is not usually anybody near you when you are shooting, hence my question is can all moderators be fitted with muzzle brakes?

Any suggestions even those telling me to go away in short jerky movements would be appreciated.

Lawrence - if you're intending to shoot at Diggle you won't get any complaints re your brake, mod or whatever.  However, some comps - namely F Class - don't allow brakes.

8 hours ago, SchmidtP3 said:

Something like this - the Area 419 Maverick? Seems like it would be ideal for PRS, I wouldn't like to stalk with it! 

Looks very suspect!

Did you see at 09m30s (and after) he uses the rear bag (held by his left hand) to block the rearward movement of the pistol grip.

The rifle comes to a jarring halt rather than the slide-to-a-stop in the preceding tests.

Like I said: beware the snake oil peddlars/marketing guff.

Edited by Bangbangman

On 6/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, Bangbangman said:

There are now some hybrid mod/brakes that claim to do a bit of both, which sounds like marketing BS to me.

Hybrid mod / brakes have been around for quite a while but I appreciate they aren’t common in the U.K. The Silencerco Omega has a brake end cap design and it’s the best selling suppressor in history.