PULSAR THERMION 2 XP50 THERMAL RIFLESCOPE

Jeffo1960

There's very little difference between v1 and v2, slightly better performance in poor conditions.

What are you going to use it for? there are other options depending on personal requirements (e.g. do you need onboard recording, wifi streaming etc)

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be possible to shoot foxes at 350 with an XP, but personally I would choose something with more base magnification for that range. 

Currently I would choose an Infiray Rico RL42 or if budget allows a Ward T-Ceptor Pro 55-3, both 12 micron with more useful base mag for long range foxing. The Rico RH50 is so also worth a shout but from my testing falls short of the Ward unit by a fair bit and doesn’t look so great value compared to the 42.

8 hours ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Foxing out to approx 300, 350 yards,

You would not  be able to tell the difference between a fox … small roe …muntjac….badger …. All your see at 250 m is just tiny little reddish blobs  so your not if your aiming at its head or it arse . 350 yards at foxes at night is just daft and unrealistic .
if i was shooting at 200m -250m max ( which is a fair shot in the middle of the night ) I would use a drone with a decent laser Positive ID on your quarry . 

I've shot foxes with a thermal riflescope with a base magnification of x3 out to 350 yards,(although I don't make a habit of it!)

With practice it is not difficult to identify the species you are looking at - as long as it's moving.

Cheers

Bruce

17 minutes ago, phoenix said:

I've shot foxes with a thermal riflescope with a base magnification of x3 out to 350 yards,(although I don't make a habit of it!)

With practice it is not difficult to identify the species you are looking at - as long as it's moving.

Cheers

Bruce

hmm maybe I need to send my HELION 2 XP50  back  because it’s not as good as yours

The ultimate answer is Learn fieldcraft and call them in , I have shot a few over the 30 + years and the last 12 years as gamekeeper on estate. I have only ever shot 2 foxes over 300 m  . 
normally around 75-150 m tops .

Ego shots should be saved for steel 

or maybe I’m just old fashioned. 

I don't shoot foxes at 300 yards plus to massage my ego.

On the rare occasions when I have shot foxes at that range it is because it was the correct thing to do in circumstances.

if the circumstances were different then no shot would have been taken

Cheers

Bruce

• 2 months later...

No apology needed -there's nothing wrong with differences of opinion based on knowledge and experience.

BTW, I agree, the Helion  2 XP50 pro is is a different league from any other spotter I've ever used

Cheers

Bruce

21 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Bruce .

I owe you an apology. I was wrong ……..but if may use the excuse of saying my opinion at the time was based on my helion 2 XP50 in other words I didn’t know better , however I have today purchased a Helion XP50 pro and wow 😯 I knew within 1 min on turning it on was was going to be tendering an apology. 
I now see exactly what you was referring too . 

OoToT 

When you splash out on the Thermion 2 XP50 could you let us Know how the edge clarity is compared to the Helion 2 XP50 Pro is please ?

11 hours ago, One on top of two said:

That was at 80 -150 m . And believe me when I say that I have had to drop the resolution down so far I’m surprised it even worked .

Trust me when I say there is absolutely no comparison.

if you have the means save your money and buy the pro 😂

My original Helion XP50 will do all I need it to at the moment and will wait/hope that they do a LRF version of the Pro.

But am still in the market for a dedicated unit for rifle when lambing starts again so looking for views/comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...